PDA

View Full Version : iPhone panders to the girls

Wing_Z
March 6th, 2010, 15:12
There is a maps app on the 3GS iPhone (using Google Maps).
It is GPS-controlled, and will track you extremely accurately on the move.
Now for the Killer part of the App if you are North-challenged:
Instead of turning the device to align it with the street you're in, just tap the location key again...and the map rotates and orientates to where you're facing.
The more time I spend with this thing, the more I go "Sheesh...Wow"

Ken Stallings
March 6th, 2010, 16:07
I'm sorry, I don't understand how orienting a map display to "heading up" means that it "panders to the girls." :isadizzy:

Cheers,

Ken

Snuffy
March 6th, 2010, 17:55
He's using reverse psycology here ... we all know how we men hate to ask for directions. LOL!

Lionheart
March 6th, 2010, 18:41
I am constantly amazed myself also with the iPhone and the App technologies that are happening. They are getting more and more smarter...

Today at the airshow, I was lost from my family and finally had a use for the built in compass for a heading / bearing of where I was.

Half of my airshow photos I ended up taking with my iphone. The new camera App I have for it is just too nice. Plus it takes videos..

We used that map for finding the exit for the airport as well, lol...

(I also did a preflight trip in Flight Simulator in FSX with Mega Earth Scenery Arizona to find the airport, so finding the mountains while on the highway as well as washes and bridges made it as though I had already been there).

Bill

Wing_Z
March 6th, 2010, 21:05
I'm sorry, I don't understand how orienting a map display to "heading up" means that it "panders to the girls."

He's using reverse psycology here ...

With absolutely no exceptions, every woman who has navigated me in a car, has given up at some point in frustration and rotated the map to "heading up" (Thanks Ken I was looking for the right term).
Most guys just look at the map, northside up, and say "Turn left here..."
My wife has a little trouble with the left and right thing, too :d

Bill you're right there are some amazing apps - and simply daft ones too.
I have "Remote" which allows me to use the phone as a remote control for iTunes on my computer.
Since it uses a Wifi connection for this, I can pick a song from halfway round the world if I choose!

djscoo
March 6th, 2010, 21:16
I always orient my maps. That was the first thing we had to do in Boy Scouts when looking at a map, it's second nature now. Does the Iphone have gps built-in, or is it using something else to emulate gps?

Lionheart
March 6th, 2010, 22:02
I always orient my maps. That was the first thing we had to do in Boy Scouts when looking at a map, it's second nature now. Does the Iphone have gps built-in, or is it using something else to emulate gps?

It can locate itself on the planet. I dont know if thats considered GPS. It can obtain its GPS location, then it can use it in Map Apps to pinpoint where you are; thus they have Apps for 'Where did I park my car?' otherwise known as 'Dude! Wheres my car?" (shibbbi)

:d

I love that Remote...

Check out Tick Talk.

Bill

leroy10
March 7th, 2010, 04:53
Hi All,

djscoo,
The iPhone 3GS has a built in GPS, there's also a bunch of external GPS's that you can use, EG: Tom Tom have an iPhone app.

There's some cool apps for the iPhone.

My Fav's are:

GPS/Weather
iMETAR - icao metar stations
MotionX GPS - one of the better GPS's I've checked out for iPhone
Day Tides - tide chart

Office
Scan2PDF - uses camera to take pic of document and converts to PDF.
Office2 Plus - word doc and spreedsheets

Music
Drum Meister - cool little drum kit
Guitar Tuner - name says it all

Games
Shooter lite - sniper game
BMW F1 lite - F1 sim
R.Racing GTI - car sim

Cheers :ernae:
Lindsay

Snuffy
March 7th, 2010, 08:23
Thank god I know where I am most of the time and don't need a compass or a map, or a phone wanna be.

I think Old Tim Taylor talked about it on an episode when he mentioned his magnetic boogers. I got a nose full of em too! :wavey:

cheezyflier
March 7th, 2010, 09:10
I am constantly amazed myself also with the iPhone and the App technologies that are happening. They are getting more and more smarter...

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/umedia/20100306/largeimage.6bb88635158474eb401f308b9d0f15eb.gif

Lionheart
March 7th, 2010, 11:21
CF,

lololol.. eeks! :kilroy:

Thanks Lindsay for the heads up on those apps. I'll have to check them out. Especially the BMW F1 App.

Ken Stallings
March 7th, 2010, 19:28
The guy in that cartoon should retort, "Perhaps, but certainly more cooperative than you!"

Then duck! :icon_lol:

Ken

Ken Stallings
March 7th, 2010, 19:29
Wing_Z,

OK, I got it.

Thanks,

Ken

OBIO
March 7th, 2010, 21:10
Our cell phone...love it. It has an on/off button. 10 buttons for dialing numbers. Two buttons for staring the call and ending the call. No apps, no camera, no vibrate, no miniature keyboard, no video screen, no built in flash light. It's just a phone...a simple, non-folding Motorola pre-paid Tracfone that we have had for the better part of 6 years. $30 every 3 months to add more service time and more minutes. It is only turned on when we want to place a call with it. No one knows the number to call the phone....not even us and it's our phone.....no incoming calls have ever been received on the phone.

OBIO

fsafranek
March 7th, 2010, 22:05
I use the built in GPS of my Blackberry Storm for Geocaching. Works really well.
:ernae:

Jagdflieger
March 8th, 2010, 00:42
I'm curious about the GPS function of cell phones. Do they actually use the GPS constelation of satalites or do they triangulate their position from cell towers?

Wing_Z
March 8th, 2010, 00:57
See, this is the thing with Smartphones, iPhone in particular.
They seamlessly use whatever is available to give the best result.
This from the Apple website:
Find locations.
iPhone 3GS finds your location quickly and accurately via GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular towers.

When you use the web browser, it looks for WiFi first, when that drops out it switches to the cellphone network.
I haven't figured out how to disable that as the costs run up quite quickly.

Piglet
March 8th, 2010, 01:08
Our cell phone...love it. It has an on/off button. 10 buttons for dialing numbers. Two buttons for staring the call and ending the call. No apps, no camera, no vibrate, no miniature keyboard, no video screen, no built in flash light. It's just a phone...a simple, non-folding Motorola pre-paid Tracfone that we have had for the better part of 6 years. $30 every 3 months to add more service time and more minutes. It is only turned on when we want to place a call with it. No one knows the number to call the phone....not even us and it's our phone.....no incoming calls have ever been received on the phone

:icon29::icon29::icon29: My boss at work has the default ringtone on his phone, as I do. Told him that's the coolest ringtone I ever heard! He said that's the only way! Only the coolest have the default ringtone!
And don't try to argue!

Snuffy
March 8th, 2010, 03:19
When you use the web browser, it looks for WiFi first, when that drops out it switches to the cellphone network.
I haven't figured out how to disable that as the costs run up quite quickly.

Its called ... Don't use it then. :icon_lol:

Bjoern
March 8th, 2010, 10:14
I'm curious about the GPS function of cell phones. Do they actually use the GPS constelation of satalites or do they triangulate their position from cell towers?

Mine uses satellites, so the GPS doesn't work indoors.

It's nothing more than a nice gimmick anyways.

cheezyflier
March 8th, 2010, 11:37
The guy in that cartoon should retort, "Perhaps, but certainly more cooperative than you!"

Then duck! :icon_lol:

Ken

i nearly choked on my pizza :applause::icon_lol:

Lionheart
March 8th, 2010, 22:11
I guess the funny part of all of this is that I rarely use my iPhone as a cell phone. I am always using it for the desk clock, notes program (lists and things), iCalender (has bills alarms), watching movies and listening to music at night and when working, playing the air racing sim when taking Jr. for a walk, checking weather at Weather Channel App/film download/forecast, camera and vid cam when something is going on, like family or cool sunsets, checking data on the E6B app, etc, etc...

More like a laptop that is thinner then a wallet, then a cell phone. The phone part is only one function it can do.

Cracks me up. It was easier for me to take pictures with the iPhone at the airshow then it was with my digital camera. Plus, the iPhone could hold more photos and video memory then the camera, lol... Its wild. People would hear that neat little 'servo / shutter sound' from the camera App when I was taking a picture over there shoulder and they turn and see me with a phone.

This is the future...

(yep.. . In the future, you will have this thing the size of your wallet, and you will be able to call people on the other side of Earth, use it as a telegraph, take pictures and send them through space to other places, using only electricity and no film, and you never have to change the batteries, you just recharge it, and it has this tv screen on it too that you can work the device with your fingertips. The screen is the main control interface... )

Now 'that' sounds like Jules Verne

Bill

Wing_Z
March 10th, 2010, 10:42
I guess the funny part of all of this is that I rarely use my iPhone as a cell phone...Now 'that' sounds like Jules Verne
Bill

Exactly - while I hate to sound like a Smartphone advertisement, these things are "Devices" rather than single-purpose instruments.
I know, I had a perfectly good phone which did nothing but phone...
Now, I wonder what you did before you had portable on-demand Wifi, GPS,Scheduler etc
Although I will have to look a little more carefully at how it knew to start buzzing me the other night to say:
Take the garbage out in 12 hours!
Oh it's voice interactive too, you see.

Wing_Z
March 12th, 2010, 15:07
Idly wondering if the thing could tell me the weather forecast...Of course it can!
App is called Weatherbug (free) and can call up weather at any station you care to nominate.
And just when I was spluttering on about the archaic American system of units (Degrees Fahrenheit? Huh??) the FAQ told me to go to settings and get metric.
It's a proper weather forecast too: % chance of precipitation, type, humidity etc.