PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Sized Drone; what if..........?

Lionheart
March 6th, 2010, 02:51
Hey all,

I was doing some computer maintenance tonight, waiting, and day dreaming.

I am was sitting here looking at my sleek, wierd looking, futuristic Apple Magic Mouse, which is a UFO looking sleek shape, molded in white polycarbonate, and while examining the shape of this thing, I was thinking of the movie 'Iron Man' and I imagined.....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2791/4056263566_a5e5ffd659_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4333941707_dab2f9be61_o.jpg

What if this little 'thing' was a drone, a drone that could do 'Mach 1' (at least) for a period of time (perhaps 1 to 3 hours), and could hold 24 hours of sophisticated, high resolution data, from sound to video feed, and could run nearly indefinately on its own, at least until the power was used up.

Now, you say, how???? What about fuel? What about power? What about.... (the list can be a few miles long).

But......... This is if you think 'inside' the box based on existing technologies...

Now.. Walk with me. Lets think outside the box. Dont be skirrrrd.

Lets imagine the concept of fuel, and think of how nature does this. Lets think of a Humming Bird. If it has its fuel from the environment, small flowers, then that thing can get fuel where ever there is flowers. Done... So we need a fuel that is both at 'base' and at the recon point of the drone. hmm..... Light! So we make it solar powered. So the unit would get its 'food' (fuel) from the sun, and that would be half of each day. If it has a battery, it could possibly run during the night without having to sleep, otherwise, it would land somewhere and go into sleep mode, low energy hybernation.

Next; Flight. How would a thing shaped like a mouse, maintain flight? Magneto drive. UFO's do this. Supposedly the B2 flying wing has experimental gravitic or magnetic propulsion instegrated into its airframe (went public in England a few years back). Such a system would only require power, probably electricity. Thus one could hover and or fly at Mach via Magnetics. This would mean that the powerplant, which is based on the fuel (food) of light, would require a pretty powerful amount of energy, so the coil or booster of the battery system in the small device would need to be pretty potent.

With magnetic flight, one could hover the device over a building. Being bright white and shiny, it would be virtually invisible to the human eye, hovering perhaps 50 feet in the air.

Then, have a cell phone style com system where it can use SAT communication to your computer (or iPhone) so you could talk to it, get feedback, send orders, etc.

Then.... (alot of 'then's' ).... You would have an automatic flight system, like an autopilot, that is 'usually always on. This would be more like a futuristic drone where you would simply give it a mission and it handles the rest. No telling it what to do. Just give it an area or location to go to, and what to do when it gets there. You could even have presets, such as 'home base', (which could be your desk top, through the window, next to your computer by a USB docking port).

Next, a large amount of data storage, like 1 to 4 TB or more. Well, this can be done with the atomic IBM molecule chip block. It fits on your fingertip and can hold more data then the Library of Congress. Done...

Now lets set up a scenario.

You are sitting at your desk, and you here that an Earthquake has just occurred at a certain country like say Japan and your friend is there visiting family at a certain location. You want to find out if they are ok. You create a flight plan to that location via Google Earth, upload it into your hyper drone, wait for sunrise (you need sunlight), and you open the window, and give the device the go-ahead to depart.

The device charges its magnetic propulsion, soft electric hum is heard, small whine increasing as the coil inside charges up. A metal pen next to it gently rolls away, as the device lifts up about 12 inches from the desktop, points on its Y axis to the window, moves slowly to the window (open window) and out into the yard area, then slowly begins going straight up. After a bit, it begins a forward motion, steady climb, about 50 to 70 degrees climbout, steadily climbing to perhaps a ceieling of FL700 (70,000 feet). There, it goes to Mach or however fast Magneto propulsion can go (mach 3?) until it is over Japan, at which point it begins a descent to the GPS coordinates and begins taking footage, which it sends back to your at your desk and computer via the internet via SAT link, or local Bluetooth, etc.

When its done, you go into your computer and select 'return home'.

The system could be so radically setup as to notify you when its in certain waypoints, such as 'entering United States airspace; FL700, Mach 2.4'. When its 10 min's from arriving back home, your iPhone gives out a alarm tone. You open the window and wait. Suddenly, in through the window comes your drone device, it hovers over your desk, 12 inches up, checks its normal landing zone. Oops, coffee mug is there in the way. It calculates an offset landing point, still on the desk, near the mug. It powers down, makes that whine down sound camera's make when you power down the flash device. Done... Its sleeping. You pick it up, clean it, check for bug damage from when it was out flying around in lower atmosphere, etc..

What if...

One of the things that made me think of this was a episode from Stargate SG1, where Daniel is with this group of aliens whose world had been destroyed. They are almost being held prisoner at SG1's base, Chyenne mountain. The leader is told about a possible place they could go to stay at. So he takes Daniel above ground and he launches a small probe that is the size of a mouse that was in his pocket. Daniel says, 'how can this be? that thing is going to go there?' And the alien guy is telling him 'yeah....' and Daniel is trying to comprehend how a small hand device can do such a thing, go to another star system or Galaxy for that matter, in just an hour. They waited for it to return, (about an hour).

Seeing that show Iron Man really was enlightening..

Also, I was thinking that his lift rockets must have used something other then 'fuel' such as gas or liquid. My thoughts are that it used a fission type propulsion based mainly on electric power from his 'arc reactor' device. This would be similar to the Star Wars famed 'TIE' engine, which was deveoped by NASA long ago, an electric ION propulsion engine that used electricity from solar panels to power a rocket. Electric rockets. You still need a secondary fuel substance that it 'accellerates' through a field. Why not air? Accellerate air at nearly the speed of light (possible with gun shells) and Voilla, air/light rocket power.

Now, folding space is another thing.

Also, if you could get the device (my apple mouse hyper drone) to go interdimensional, then it should be lite as a feather, so the magneto propulsion would only need to be so powerful, not massively powerful. But with interdimensional devices, you can accidentally go 'solid' inside another solid, or pass through other solids and accidentally changing things in them (like people) causing damage. (that would be bad).

what if............

Bill

cheezyflier
March 6th, 2010, 03:03
we should call you jules verne. he looked far into the future just like you.
some of the stuff he dreamed up became reality. :applause:

Lionheart
March 6th, 2010, 03:04
nah...

What are you doing up this early in the morning??

Terry
March 6th, 2010, 04:15
You didn't happen to have a bottle of mezcal on the desk did you? It can create dreams like that! :sleep:

Dain Arns
March 6th, 2010, 06:13
I love Jules Verne work and the style.
I was watching some show last night on PBS.
Guy had converted his LCD Monitor and keyboard to all look "steampunk", like something off of Verne's "Nautilus".
Used all of the keys off of a Victorian era typewriter.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/M19.jpg

Anyway, not as sophisticated as your idea Bill, but they do have a very small UAV now...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/spiesfly/uavs_21.html

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/uavs_blackwidow.jpg

GT182
March 6th, 2010, 06:26
You been over dosing on X3 again Bill? LOL Sounds cool tho.... :applause: Now get some sleep before you blow a circuit. ;) :icon_lol:

Lionheart
March 6th, 2010, 06:32
Dain,

That steam punk PC is just too awesome! lololol...

That stuff is really taking off. I cant believe how much of it is around now.

Yes... This is what happens when I 'dont' drink..

I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue...

Bill

Chacha
March 6th, 2010, 07:03
Dain,

That steam punk PC is just too awesome! lololol...

That stuff is really taking off. I cant believe how much of it is around now.

Yes... This is what happens when I 'dont' drink..

I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue...

Bill

Oh Lionheart,

Your out of this world ideas fascinates me!

That would be a cool thing to study about Mouse Sized Drone!

It looks impossible, but hey, if it can carry a bomb a size of a pill, that would be a great achievement...

Dain,

That is a cool looking PC .... :applause:

Jules Verne.... he is an awesome inventor... :jump:

cheezyflier
March 6th, 2010, 07:46
nah...

What are you doing up this early in the morning??

union meeting this morning. i'm the luckiest guy ever. :icon_lol: i join the union hoping to work. then they decide to vote on a strike mandate:kilroy:

Ken Stallings
March 6th, 2010, 11:31
Well, let's take a look at these proposals.

1. Photovoltaic cell technology right now allows a massive wing covered with cells to produce enough electricity to get about 100 horsepower. That's enough to power a massive flying wing up to 60,000 feet and basically be a stationary platform in the air. To achieve the power required for supersonic flight would be impossible for the foreseeable future. Moreover, if photovoltaic cells could produce such power from sunlight alone the applications would be first to land-based power since it would be a revolution.

2. Supersonic and transsonic flight totally changes aerodynamic characteristics around the airframe. The basic shape of that mouse might well constitute a lifting body, assuming you could use control systems to keep it stable. However, as the shock wave started to form around the body, the ability of the lifting body to function would radically alter and without having the ability to change the shape of the body, the sonic transition would exceed any rational means of control.

3. Battery power storage even in its most efficient current form would result in an impossible power-to-weight ratio. The most promising solution would be nano technology as it has potential for vast improvements in power storage. This is being explored for battery operated ground vehicles, but ground vehicles don't have the power-to-weight requirements of aerial vehicles.

The most interesting option would be a staged vehicle approach to get the basic body up to supersonic speeds and then use ramjet technology. The one aircraft that used a transition approach was the SR-71 and the surprising fact is that above Mach 3 the aircraft's fuel economy started to improve the faster the vehicle got! This is because ramjets are the most efficient means of propulson. All you need is a fuel reserve, a sprayer in the burn chamber, and a moving shock cone to focus the air through the intake to the burn chamber. As the air is compressed, it rises to ignition level of the fuel, and as the fuel is ignited, pressure of the gases rise dramatically and by basic physical laws, the force generated propels the aircraft forward.

Cheers,

Ken

Lionheart
March 6th, 2010, 18:47
Thats good to know Ken.. Thanks for the info on the Ramjet.

I didnt realise that the air friction at those speeds would be so hot and would simply ignite the fuel mixture.

The little test drone of the Ramjet is such an odd shape; wedge with a box on the bottom. I cant see how it flies. But I guess if a brick has enough power, it too can fly beautifully.

:d

Piglet
March 6th, 2010, 19:37
As your drone returns to your desk, there's a loud thump at your door. You open it, facing three big dudes in black suits and standard issue shades. The ID's flashed too fast for you to read are from the FAA, NSA, FBI, .......
Gotta go, knock at the door.....

djscoo
March 6th, 2010, 19:57
I think what this device needs is an Infinite Improbability Drive. It's based on quantum theory:

a subatomic particle is most likely to be in a particular place, such as near the nucleus of an atom, but there is also a small probability of it being found very far from its point of origin (for example close to a distant star). Thus, a body could travel from place to place without passing through the intervening space (or hyperspace, for that matter), if you had sufficient control of probability.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Gala xy#Infinite_Improbability_Drive

You wouldn't necessarily have to worry so much about a power source...

Of all the wacky technology in Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy, The infinite improbability drive is great to daydream about.:mixedsmi:

Lionheart
March 6th, 2010, 20:06
I think what this device needs is an Infinite Improbability Drive. It's based on quantum theory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Gala xy#Infinite_Improbability_Drive

You wouldn't necessarily have to worry so much about a power source...

Of all the wacky technology in Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy, The infinite improbability drive is great to daydream about.:mixedsmi:

That is Bill Leamings department, lol... He was supposed to make a FS plane (vehicle) with Improbability Drive about 2 years ago... He must have found some barriers or hurtles with FS that is keeping it from happening.....

Lionheart
March 6th, 2010, 20:08
As your drone returns to your desk, there's a loud thump at your door. You open it, facing three big dudes in black suits and standard issue shades. The ID's flashed too fast for you to read are from the FAA, NSA, FBI, .......
Gotta go, knock at the door.....

<--- bill stares at them, an aged, gray, stiff eyebrow twinges on his G-max stressed, sweaty brow, making a distinct 'twing' sound... "How did they find me" he thinks to himself... "I only wanted to see if I could.................

djscoo
March 6th, 2010, 20:10
The Improbability drive has already been incorporated into Flight Sims...although it's disguised as the "Go To Airport" menu on the toolbar.:icon_lol:

demorier
March 6th, 2010, 23:49
I wonder if it could find it's around a dirty big CB cloud....otherwise the drone could end up anywhere. We have the technology, just gotta find a way to use it.

Piglet
March 7th, 2010, 00:57
Gotta remember the POV weapon! If you think the meaning of life is 42, that is....