PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to kill support ...

stiz
March 5th, 2010, 03:01

Microsoft will kill support for its unloved Windows Vista operating system a few months ahead of its Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 planned end-of-the-road-for-updates deadline.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/26/microsoft_vista_xp_2000/

Ickie
March 5th, 2010, 03:04
vista was short lived lol.

Snuffy
March 5th, 2010, 03:15
Glad I didn't waste my money or time on it.

Kiwikat
March 5th, 2010, 05:13
Glad I didn't waste my money or time on it.

I'm glad I did. I liked it far more than I ever liked XP...

Trans_23
March 5th, 2010, 05:46
Vista goes into the scrap heap with Millennium.

d0mokun
March 5th, 2010, 06:22
Vista x64 was never as bad as ME, and miles above XP- at least in my experience!

That said though, Win7 is above and beyond all that.. :guinness:

Cratermaker
March 5th, 2010, 06:46
Sounds like security updates (extended support) continues for XP SP3 until April 8, 2014! :mixedsmi:

Bjoern
March 5th, 2010, 07:24
Vista goes into the scrap heap with Millennium.

Hahahahaha! :icon_lol:

Lionheart
March 5th, 2010, 10:26
All I can say is, if it werent for vista, I wouldnt have found Apple.

:d

Moparmike
March 5th, 2010, 10:58
Vista support is being terminated only for those still running with no service packs.
Nothing has been said about Vista SP1 or SP2 support being terminated so that will likely be continued in the update life cycle until the next round of culling.

As with XP SP2 end of support, this support life-span is a move to get users to install the latest service packs which in addition to the latest security patches also rolls in the latest anti-piracy measures that MS has rolled into the various Winders versions...like CD-key blacklists, WGA, etc...

XP SP3 is pretty much guaranteed support til 2014 since there are many business and industrial apps that just plain don't work right on Vista and 7 yet. Example at my workplace is software for PLC and HMI control and embedded apps running on Windows-based HMIs (control screens).
The industrial world moves much slower than the consumer world so a mandatory software/OS upgrade winds up costing companies too much money (and in the end will drive customers away from MS if they would force an early obsolescence of XP). We still run some PLC systems that are 15 years old and I know many plants that run older hardware too.
We've already got a couple machines that have no Windows at all on them...the control computer and HMI software is all based on Linux. It's not that hard to make that switch and I think MS is aware that they would lose a large market if they forced an upgrade before giving the industrial world time to catch up.

demorier
March 5th, 2010, 21:33
Good comments MM. I have n old Canon "home" type scanner that ran out of OS drivers years ago. I recently checked the manufacturer web site and they have new driver sets available now for lots of old hardware. M$ will have to realise that a lot of home and commercial users alike do not have an endless supply of time and money to constantly buy new hardware and software.

jmig
March 6th, 2010, 04:23
All I can say is, if it werent for vista, I wouldnt have found Apple.

:d

:icon_lol:

Isn't this a bit like, "The King is dead, long live the King".

Lionheart
March 6th, 2010, 05:43
I hate it when a corporation tries to tell me what to do and what to like, etc, and try to take away my options.

Not very 'freedom' based...

Bill

Rezabrya
March 6th, 2010, 10:44
I hate it when a corporation tries to tell me what to do and what to like, etc, and try to take away my options.

Not very 'freedom' based...

BillIf I am reading what you are saying right, you are saying that Microsoft doesn't give you options? I have to laugh because Apple is ten times worse than Microsoft in that respect. Apple has almost no customization in their OS's. I always liked Vista and used it until Win7 came out. It is not a bad OS and anyone that says it is either never used it or is a huge fanboy.

Cratermaker
March 6th, 2010, 12:48
It is not a bad OS and anyone that says it is either never used it or is a huge fanboy.Wow! Your logic is irrefutable!:rolleyes:

Rezabrya
March 6th, 2010, 14:17
Can anyone tell me specifically what they don't like about Vista? I used Vista 64 and never had a single problem with it.

Wing_Z
March 6th, 2010, 15:05
I gather from those that know, Windows 7 is the best MS operating system yet.
I agree with that, everything that irritated me about Vista, like the stupid persistent security "Are you sure" nags, are still there - but treated properly in the UI.
Drivers just...work.
Hardware just...lights up.
Interestingly, I have not come across a single large business that switched its IT to Vista, several are moving to 7 now.
My greatest regret is that there is no FSXI to provide the same kind of help to FSX, which shares many of the same "Blindside" poor management decisions as Vista.

kilo delta
March 6th, 2010, 15:12
I've never had any issue with Vista Ultimate 64bit on any of my systems (after disabling UAC). That being said...I'll probably install W7 64bit in it's place as I've a couple of free copies......and it's the future!:icon_lol:

safn1949
March 6th, 2010, 15:29
I used Vista for almost 2 years,with a few tweaks it ran fine.I have found that a lot of people didn't want to take the time to do the tweaks which weren't that big of a deal and only took an hour or so.

If you are like me it is an interesting learning experience. Does that mean Vista was perfect? Of course not,but it was way ahead of XP on the right machine,and remember that XP had a boatload of problems when it first came out.

I am running 2 laptops with Windows 7 now and the only problem is that every so often windows explorer will seize up,takes about 2 seconds to restart it and you are good to go.So far this is a problem across the board with no solution yet.

I went to Windows 7 because it was a free upgrade on this laptop and already installed on my other one,not because of any problem with Vista.And by the way,I never do windows updates.I did one on Vista and it caused a ton of problems,system restore is my friend.

I have 2 older machines running XP.:d