PDA

View Full Version : What hardware set up helps you get the most out of FSX?

Major_Spittle
March 4th, 2010, 14:17
I noticed when I asked what was the most immersive aircraft for FSX that some people didn't think it could be or was immersive at all. It made me wonder what hardware they were using to play the game on... What others might be using.... and what I might need?

So please discuss what hardware makes the game more immersive for you?

Obviously, high resolution multi-monitor set-up helps but for me the game became much better when I got these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121006
Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speakers

Good sound does it for me, lots of sounds. Sadly, not many planes have good sounds that are done in REAL surround sound. But I do love starting up the A2A 377 with these speakers cranked up.

Other than that I have the basic 24" Widescreen, X52 w/throttle, rudder pedals. I had my choice of rudder pedals or Track IR, I think I picked the wrong thing. I love my pedals when taxi-ing (toe brakes, yipee) but don't think it really makes the game more immersive.

delta558
March 4th, 2010, 14:33
Well I honestly think I'd struggle to fly without TrackIR these days - I've got so used to it and find it so much more instinctive than I thought it would be before I took the plunge. Other than that, my multi-throttle setup along with my adapted Saitek X45 stick, which is now a more realistic size for a control column!

dswo
March 4th, 2010, 15:08
Another vote for TrackIR.

harleyman
March 4th, 2010, 15:36
I have plenty of rigs, lots of good hardware..

I lack time these days...

SOMEONE...Please give me more time....Thanks..............

stansdds
March 5th, 2010, 03:10
Harleyman, I have put in a request to have an 8th day created. We shall call it Blurnsday. I am awaiting approval of the request. :icon_lol:

As for hardware, you can see my computer specs in my signature line. For flying I do use and love Track IR. Mine is the older TIR 3 Pro, with Vector Expansion so I can get movement in 6 directions. Flight controls are all by CH Products. Fighterstick USB, ProPedals USB and Throttle Quadrant USB.

Bjoern
March 5th, 2010, 07:02
Yeah, TrackIR or equivalent does a lot for immersion.

Note to self: Finally get a decent webcam, fit the LED array to my current headset and reactivate FreeTrack.

HighGround22
March 5th, 2010, 07:22
Well, speaking of things I now couldn't do without:

I have two monitors attached to my primary (FSX) computer -- the big, jazzy one's the pri, and the smaller one's the sec. All "other" panels (pop-ups, etc) go onto the sec.

The second computer is hooked-in via network. That one runs my navigation stuff -- either FS Nav, or now, mainly FS Commander.

A big, tall panel houses all my GoFlight modules: many switches and buttons for engine start, lights, etc, etc; autopilot; LGT module for gear, flaps and trims, and so-forth.

For radios I've found the VRInsight Radio Stack to be a real boon. When I ordered it ($$), I thought it'd be "handy". Now, it's sine qua non (invaluable)!

arrowmaker
March 5th, 2010, 08:28
As far as addon hardware goes, I believe I have the basic minimum which is:

1) Saitek X52 Pro Flight Control System (Joystick/Throttle)
2) Saitek Rudder Pedals (great for taxiing and helicopters)
3) Track IR-4 (get IR-5 if you don't have any version yet, but it's not worth upgrading if you already have IR-4)

I also use the Saitek's Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant, though I wouldn't say it's essential, unless you like multi-engined heavy iron, in which case get a couple.

Dain Arns
March 5th, 2010, 10:27
Now that I'm reading this thread, I'm wondering if it has gotten out of hand for me... :icon_lol:

Starting up a sim session is getting to be like a NASA launch.
Besides all of the software addons I am running now...

First hardware on is the TrackIR.
Funny how I originally thought it when it came out what a silly idea and waste of money.
Bought mine on sale after watching a video of it in action.
I just can't fly without it, ever.

Loving the Logitech G940. Smoothest set of controllers I've ever had.
Remember the giddy times of getting the CH Products Yoke, Throttle, and Pedals set.
Sim flying got so much better after that.

Here's where the wondering started for me...
I have a big screen set up for the main FSX window.
Another monitor for all of other stuff to display, like weather program etc..
Laptop networked for the flight planner with its moving map display.

Almost hard to remember anymore, the exciting days of using just a simple joystick and a 13" CRT. :icon_lol:

Moses03
March 5th, 2010, 11:31
Need to investigate TrackIR one of these days. Many of you swear by it!

Essential hardware for me is a yoke and rudder pedal combo. You can control the aircraft so much easier than one of those twisty sticks. It's much more fun too. I have a CH set that is still holding up fairly well after several years of constant use.

I'm big on sound as well and have a nice Altec Lansing subwoofer to give the radial engines a good rumble.

Moses

HighGround22
March 5th, 2010, 14:32
Yeah, likewise on the yoke and pedals (Saitek) and the sound system.

I have TrackIR, and I've had it for about 1.5 years now. I installed it, couldn't get accustomed to it, un-installed it and packed it away. A few months later, I thought maybe I was being too quick to judge, and repeated the whole she-bang. And I've repeated it again at least three more times!

Appealing to those who swear by it, I wonder whether I'm missing/doing/not doing/ something crucial.

[Sorry, don't mean to steal the thread, but this seemed a useful venue!!]

Akatsuki
March 5th, 2010, 15:02
TrackIR for sure is a must have, without it i wouldn't use FSX that much.

peter12213
March 5th, 2010, 16:27
Fosters!!! lol sorry!

Sky~6
March 5th, 2010, 18:49
Another vote for TrackIR.

Lionheart
March 5th, 2010, 23:45
HarleyMan has a computer shop now. He has, in the past, made a mini tower for people that can run FSX like glass. I would see what his secret is.

Bill

Cazzie
March 6th, 2010, 02:10
TrackIR + FSX + Orbx PNW + 24-in. wide-screen + Logitech 5.1 surround sound = Totally lost in a virtual world. :isadizzy::pop4:

Major_Spittle
March 6th, 2010, 05:25
I see now that I must get Track IR. There goes another $150.

2Low
March 6th, 2010, 08:54
I see now that I must get Track IR. There goes another $150.

I resisted for a long time because of the expense. Wish I hadn't waited. It transforms FSX, couldn't do without it now.

Throw REX into Cazzie's equation and you are in FSX Nirvana.

OleBoy
March 6th, 2010, 12:02
HarleyMan has a computer shop now. He has, in the past, made a mini tower for people that can run FSX like glass. I would see what his secret is.

Bill

I would like to know myself as I'm getting real close to doing a new build. I've sat in the shadows reading threads, watching, viewing screen shots and reading more. I can't stand it. The level of detail and immersion factor is just killing me the more I see!!!

Having not too recently I got FS2004 off my system. In preparation (frustration more like) for a more gratifying virtual experience. At this machines current specs (single core) there's a lot to be seen with nothing of add-ons (aside of a few aircraft & helicopters) This PC just can't cut the mustard. I've been in this predicament for about a month. And, have almost lost interest all together.