PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ken and other Private Pilots...

Wittpilot
March 2nd, 2010, 17:12
Our local airport now hosts the Mid-East Regional Fly In, or MERFI for short, in the fall. I was trying to help the board that organizes the events by coming up with some ideas for forums or lectures.

My question for everybody: Can you think of a forum you have been to (we are of course talking about a real-life forum with discussions and the like) that was particularly informative? Or possibly something you would like to have seen a workshop on?

Here is an example of the speakers we had last year.

http://merfi-urbana.webs.com/speakers.htm

Was just curious if anyone had any ideas....

-Witt

Ken Stallings
March 2nd, 2010, 18:55
Well, in terms of topics to speak about, I can think of one that is timely and interesting to pilots. You can have a discussion forum and speaker about Remotely Piloted Aircraft. Focus on the integration of RPA's into busy airspace.

From a personal perspective, I think the more pilots learn about how the military has successfully integrated USAF RPA's into busy airspace in Iraq and Afghanistan, perhaps they might learn how it can be professionally and safely done in US airspace.

My perspective again says there is much fear out there among pilots based upon limited understanding of the crew training, certification standards, and outright capabilities.

Cheers,

Ken