PDA

View Full Version : Steak or Hamburger?

Lionheart
March 1st, 2010, 10:39
Steak or Hamburger?

Which do you prefer?

Why is steak so far different from hamburger, and yet its the same thing? Do you ever think about that?

Bill

MudMarine
March 1st, 2010, 10:41
Both, I like to exercise my freedom to eat! :icon_lol:

Snuffy
March 1st, 2010, 10:53
When I buy ground beef, I usually buy ground sirloin. "Hamburger" as a rule is made from "leftover" parts. :wavey:

cheezyflier
March 1st, 2010, 11:07
my tounge would say steak. my teeth (both of them) would say burger. :icon_lol:

6297J
March 1st, 2010, 11:15
It's not the same thing at all!

Steak is a real cut of meat taken from specific areas to ensure tenderness and quality.

Hamburgers are 'made from' meat, filler, water and fat and the meat involved would be deemed inedible if you knew where it came from :eek:

You might want to read this - (sorry - that was a link to a pdf which didn't seem to work - but it wasn't pleasant reading - it talked about 'unexpected tissue types' such as blood vessels, nerve and muscle tissue, commonly found in Hamburger 'meat' ) :redface:

Lionheart
March 1st, 2010, 11:28
It's not the same thing at all!

Steak is a real cut of meat taken from specific areas to ensure tenderness and quality.

Hamburgers are made from meat, filler, water and fat and the meat involved would be deemed inedible if you knew where it came from :eek:

You might want to read this - (sorry - that was a link to a pdf which didn't seem to work - but it wasn't pleasant reading - it talked about 'unexpected tissue types' such as blood vessels, nerve and muscle tissue, commonly found in Hamburger 'meat' ) :redface:

eeeks....

Ok.. Thats good to know.

Bill

Snuffy
March 1st, 2010, 11:58
... Hamburgers are 'made from' meat, filler, water and fat and the meat involved would be deemed inedible if you knew where it came from :eek: ...

Didn't I already say that?

When I buy ground beef, I usually buy ground sirloin. "Hamburger" as a rule is made from "leftover" parts. :wavey:

6297J
March 1st, 2010, 12:06
You did, kind of. Breadcrumbs (filler) and water are not strictly speaking 'leftover parts' of a carcass but, yes the same thing was implied at least :applause:?

Trans_23
March 1st, 2010, 12:14
If you happen to have a smaller or family owned meat market in your area or even grocery stores with butcher shops, the hamburger won't have the fillers. Usually, old dairy cattle meat is used for hamburger along with the leftover parts of other breeds. Sirloin and chuck meat have less fat.

I will take a steak (medium rare) over a burger any day, :jump:

6297J
March 1st, 2010, 12:19
I guess the ideal is to make your own Hamburgers from 100% prime beef - many people do just that of course.

Burgers from MacWendyKing however are a different kettle of bits :blind:

luckydog
March 1st, 2010, 12:34
Steak or burger, I love them both.............
I've gotten good at stealing one or the other off someone's plate when they're not looking.

I don't care what burger is made of..........when I was a puppy I had a thing for duck and goose poop.

I ain't picky.

Lionheart
March 1st, 2010, 12:38
Steak or burger, I love them both.............
I've gotten good at stealing one or the other off someone's plate when they're not looking.

I don't care what burger is made of..........when I was a puppy I had a thing for duck and goose poop.

I ain't picky.

LOLOLOLOL.....

yes!

Henry
March 1st, 2010, 12:49
if you go to the grocery store
and look in the real meat section
you will see ground chuck etc
and the amount of fat and others
you can get cheap steaks lots of fat etc
it comes down to the cut and where its cut from
Steak vs hamburger
i dont want a porterhouse in my spaghetti :icon_lol:
to me hamburger is a US term
in jolly old
we call it minced beef
and that would be all kinds of minced beef
just get some minced beef tenderloin
and take out a mortgage:kilroy:
LOL
H
they are the same
just the cut or minced
the same with lamb
i guess once it is minced who knows what it was before it got minced
personaly i use pork, lamb and beef minced for different things
not too fond of rabbit though:isadizzy:
H

Blackbird686
March 1st, 2010, 14:16
i guess once it is minced who knows what it was before it got minced
:isadizzy:
H

LOL!!!

I reckon it's just how you want to eat it. As long as you DON'T know what it was... it doesn't matter, right H?

BB686:USA-flag:

Bill Kestell
March 1st, 2010, 14:29
When time is NOT a problem ... steak

When I'm on the go ... NOTHING beats a good 80/20 burger on a well-buttered, Sheboygan Hard Roll ... with about a 1/4" thick slice of a good sweet onion! The burger shall NOT be too well done ... but not too rare either ... when PROPERLY cooked ... the meat's fully cooked (which brings out that incredible "meaty" flavor) ... but it's still tasty and juicy. (You swabbies will have to be standing up and doing the "FORWARD LEAN" if you're going to eat one of these and keep your whites clean).

DAMN ... NOW I'VE GONE AND MADE MYSELF HUNGRY!

I'm outa' here ... gotta' go find me one of them RIGHT NOW!:isadizzy::pop4:

Dain Arns
March 1st, 2010, 14:36
Steak.

but sometimes you just have to have one, well two of...

Nick's Hamburgers (http://www.nickshamburgers.com/), in business since 1929! (http://www.nickshamburgers.com/about.htm) YUM!

Nicks is great.
You come in, grab a stool, they take your order.
Most times they never write it down, they remember what you ordered from memory.
You order as you go, to keep 'em coming to you fresh and hot. They keep tabs on what you get.

Watch them grab some freshly ground beef with no fillers.
Your burger is made right in front of you.
Then have it all plopped down in front of you still sizzling hot on a slice of wax paper.
Or you can get a big bag full too.

Mmm.

Cazzie
March 1st, 2010, 14:52
Well, as a kid, hamburger. Now, steak. I get 95% lean hamburger, but I only use ground meat in spaghetti, chili, tacos, pelmini, etc. Only my oldest son eats hamburger. My body will not handle the grease in even a lean meat hamburger. I prefere chicken, pork, and fish to beef anyhow.

Caz

OBIO
March 1st, 2010, 15:14
I like steak, but I LOVE a good burger made from ground sirloin, with a nice slice of onion, some mustard, a slice of garden ripe tomato.

The best burger I have ever had, surprisingly, was not made with beef. Ground chicken breast with diced onion, fresh coarse ground black pepper, a pinch of garlic, finely diced red and green pepper, and egg all mixed up meat loaf style...but fried in a bit of olive oil. Juicey, tender, and the flavor was out of this world. On a fresh whole wheat bun with some horseradish sauce and a thick slice of hot pepper cheese.

I'm hungry....got to go grab some supper. Extra thick skillet chili.

OBIO

TeaSea
March 1st, 2010, 15:34
Depends....

I'd rather have a good hamburger than a mediocre steak.

And I'd rather have a good steak than a mediocre hamburger.

And as for what's in Hamburgers.....when I was in Ranger school we broke open the chicken bones and sucked out the marrow. We chewed the gristle until it came apart. We actually ate beets, and drank the juice (really, who actually eats beets) We sprinkled the sugar packets that came in the MRE's into the toilet tissue, and ate it....

I guess at a certain point, you don't care what's in hamburger.

Moparmike
March 1st, 2010, 16:06
Steak.

but sometimes you just have to have one, well two of...

Nick's Hamburgers (http://www.nickshamburgers.com/), in business since 1929! (http://www.nickshamburgers.com/about.htm) YUM!

Nicks is great.
You come in, grab a stool, they take your order.
Most times they never write it down, they remember what you ordered from memory.
You order as you go, to keep 'em coming to you fresh and hot. They keep tabs on what you get.

Watch them grab some freshly ground beef with no fillers.
Your burger is made right in front of you.
Then have it all plopped down in front of you still sizzling hot on a slice of wax paper.
Or you can get a big bag full too.

Mmm.

Nickburgers!...I had forgot all about that place.
Haven't eaten there since back in the 90s when a few friends were going to school down there, but YES that was a neat place to go for a burger pigout.
About the next best thing (and my only local option) is one of many small town bars around here that also have a grill hiding out back sizzling up homestyle burgers.

The best diner-style burger I ever had on the road was at Ed Debevic's in Chicago. Wasn't so much the burger as it was the old-time environment!

Back to Bill's original question...
Beef! As long as it's beef! I grew up on a cattle ranch and that's what paid the bills. I still help the folks out when I can and every year we've got at least one animal that is destined for the freezer. I haven't bought any beef from a grocery store in years and I dread the day that I have to start. An older cow will wind up in the grinder but the steaks & roasts come from a young critter.
Steaks, roasts, ground, soup bones & stew meat, it doesn't matter to me. I like it all. I prefer my ground as lean as possible...Ours usually winds up grading out to 85% lean or better. The rest of the trimmings? Our dogs eat well too. :)
My favorite is a nice thick ribeye (untrimmed before grilling thank you!) grilled medium. But a good pot of Hamburger Helper style hotdish is a lot easier to throw in the lunch box for work.

Henry
March 1st, 2010, 16:08
We actually ate beets, and drank the juice (really, who actually eats beets)

many years ago i worked for the London Borough of Hackney
as a care assistant for the elderly
and part of my duties was to make sure everyone finished there supper
but when they fed beets
and some people didnt eat there's
i was supposed to make them
now i would rather wrestle a 500 pound gorilla
than eat beets
and im expected to see that they did
needless to say i was unemployed shortly after
H:icon_lol:

Willy
March 1st, 2010, 17:57
I love a good hamburger. Best one around here is over in Greenfield at a place called Wimpey's. If you're particularly hungry you can go for a whole "Wimpeyburger" which has about a pound and a half of meat on it. But I just order the regular hamburger which is about a third pound of lean meat with the usual fixings on it.

Only place that's ever came close to it was at a country store in Genoa Arkansas that had a grill attached to it. Those were pretty darn good themselves.

I'll eat steak once in a while but would rather have a good burger. And I'm not talking fast food ones either. Those are just "filler".

GT182
March 1st, 2010, 18:50
If I find a good deal on steak, I only by tenderloins. I can't stand what they pass off as steak these days. And this "pass off" stuff is usually tougher than nails. Or give me a good two day old roadkill. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/yum.gif That's about what that crap is that they're selling as steak is.

But to even things out, give me a good hamburg steak any day..... cooked medium and smothered with onions and mushrooms. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/yum.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/yum.gif :d

Bjoern
March 1st, 2010, 21:40
Steak only if it's swine and from the neck.

In any other case: Hamburger. The less McD/BK, the better.

Toastmaker
March 2nd, 2010, 08:18
Well, of course, they are both good when properly prepared. The choice may well be dictated by how much coin of the realm you have at the moment. . .

Odie
March 2nd, 2010, 11:57
I've never met a steak I couldn't eat nor a hamburger I couldn't eat !

There's nothing more better than a nicely grilled fillet, lightly seared, medium rare on the inside. On the hamburger side, fresh off of the grill is hard to beat !

And for a nice change, take a 1.5 inch slice of bologna (baloney), pepper on both sides, and put on a hot grill. Allow it to get golden brown on both sides, move up to a higher shelf, paint with sauce. Let it smoke for a few minutes and you've got a great slice of meat. I always use the regular bologna as opposed to the beef.

Also, there is a distinct difference in steaks/burgers grilled over charcoal and those grilled over propane. I've seen a lot of the infrared grills out there, but have not had a chance to sample any food cooked on them.

Snuffy
March 2nd, 2010, 11:59
... Also, there is a distinct difference in steaks/burgers grilled over charcoal and those grilled over propane. ...

And that's the exact reason I never owned a gas grill, and probably never will. Mmmmmm! Nothing like the taste of wood smoke on yer meat!

Dain Arns
March 2nd, 2010, 13:00
And that's the exact reason I never owned a gas grill, and probably never will. Mmmmmm! Nothing like the taste of wood smoke on yer meat!

No kidding. I'll take charcoal or wood over any of the new types of grilling these days I see on TV.
I don't care if it takes longer to set up, and you have more cleanup afterwards.
Just tastes a whole lot better. It's worth it.

Toastmaker
March 2nd, 2010, 13:00

Ummm. . . there's just. . . something, I don't know. . . wrong with this statement -

Cloud9Gal
March 2nd, 2010, 19:01
Without hesitation, I would pick steak over a hamburger. Filet Mignon or a T-Bone- those are the only two steaks I eat.
However, I LOVE a good hamburger cooked on the grill! Add onions, ketchup and dill pickles...YUMMY!

http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s3250.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

Ken Stallings
March 2nd, 2010, 19:08
Steak or Hamburger?

Which do you prefer?

Why is steak so far different from hamburger, and yet its the same thing? Do you ever think about that?

Bill

Steak

The prime difference is fat content and quality of the meat. Hamburger makes use of the remnents and has a higher fat percentage. That's the whole point of hamburger -- to take the lower quality cuts and grind them up.

Same difference as sausage versus bacon versus ham. :mixedsmi:

Cheers,

Ken

Ken Stallings
March 2nd, 2010, 19:16
Of course, I must say my favorite hamburger is the famous $100 hamburger. This is where you mount up your airplane, and fly for the pure fun of it to a local airport with a restaurant on the airport premises that serves a hamburger.

North Las Vegas (KVGT) used to have one, but lack of business killed it. There was nothing more satisfying for me than to go up on the second floor balcony overlooking the runway and parking area during a pleasant fall or spring day, and munch down a hamburger after a flight, and watch all the airplanes takeoff, taxi, and land. The mountains in the background just added to the value.

I could never understand why that restaurant didn't get more business!

Then again, there's also the silly group that tried to publicly question Harrison Ford for flying for the fun of it by trying to question his "environmental responsiblity" by flying for a hamburger -- like the food was the ONLY reason he flew! Such myopic point of view reminds me of the famous quote by Charles Lindbergh:

I began to feel that I lived on a higher plane than the skeptics of the ground; one that was richer because of its very association with the element of danger they dreaded, because it was freer of the earth to which they were bound. In flying, I tasted a wine of the gods of which they could know nothing. Who valued life more highly, the aviators who spent it on the art they loved, or these misers who doled it out like pennies through their antlike days? I decided that if I could fly for ten years before I was killed in a crash, it would be a worthwhile trade for an ordinary life time.

- Charles A. Lindbergh, 'The Spirit of St. Louis (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/087351288X/ref=nosim/flyaboveallparag).'

harleyman
March 2nd, 2010, 19:16
Back in the day i made all my own ground beef.

After all the meat was butchered for the next three days.. Top Rounds. Bottom rounds, Eye Rounds, Flanks, Skirts. Porterhouses and T-Bones, filet trimmed and portioned, I took all the trimmings and ground it fresh..

To that I made it several ways...

70-20-10

70% lean beef
20% veal or pork (fresh ground)
10% fat (fresh ground)

Grill, serve, or just eat yourself... Cant be beat....

Hiede
March 2nd, 2010, 19:17
Well now you made want to B-B-Q both.

Hiede

tigisfat
March 3rd, 2010, 18:43
Steak or Hamburger?

Which do you prefer?

Bill

What? Are you serious? They are not the same thing. Do KFC drumsticks taste the same as chicken marsala with carmeled breasts? :kilroy:

People around the world love steak and hamburger. They aren't two things that you can ask people which they prefer, as if the world is divided and most people like one and dislike the other. :blind: I'm surprised there are so many votes here. Well, my girlfriend loves steak and won't eat hamburgers...