PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Bobcat Update packages uploaded to Flightsim.com

OBIO
March 1st, 2010, 09:49
I just uploaded the four packages for the Alpha Cessna Bobcat Restoration Project to Flightsim.com. There is a base pack with the modified stock skins, tweaked flight dynamics and DrZGard's panel mod. There is a sound package based on files by Mike Hambly and Lawdog. And there are two skin packs containing the 9 new skins I did for the plane so far. The base package aircraft.cfg is pre-tweaked for the use of the 4 stock skins and the 9 new skins. The new skins will not work properly on the original Bobcat as they are set up to use DrZGard's panel mod. Additionally, the 4 stock skins and the 9 new skins are also preconfigured to work on the float version of the Bobcat once I do the Restoration on it and incorporate DrZGard's panel mod into it.

Not sure how soon these packages will be available for download...but should be relatively soon.

I hope to do some more uploading tomorrow or the day after....tweaks and new paints for Eduardo Fadul's PT-19. Then tweaks and new paints for J. E. Narcizo's PT-26 later in the week.

You can find these uploads by seaching for Tim Dement...that's the name my parents stuck me with...not really a name I would have picked. I preferred Sasquatch Peterson, but they vetoed that one.

OBIO

modelr
March 1st, 2010, 10:41
Should be up tomorrow, Tim.

Nels only updates library once a day.

Be watching for it.

Thanks much for your work on these. :guinness:

brad kaste
March 1st, 2010, 10:58
...........Sasquatch Peterson? Sounds like he'd be a 2nd cousin to Liver-Eating Johnson.

Z-claudius24
March 1st, 2010, 11:11
Hi,

Thank's for that.:applause:

Cees Donker
March 1st, 2010, 11:19
Thanks Tim! A lovely plane gets even better!

:applause:

Cees

edmoore235
March 1st, 2010, 19:56
Hip-hip, hooray! Thanks Obio!

Ed

dogknot
March 2nd, 2010, 10:28
Thanks, OBIO!! Nicely done. :applause:

BTW, the packages are available now at flightsim.

Flyboy208
March 2nd, 2010, 17:17
Thanks for your efforts & the great repaints Tim! Mike :applause:

Z-claudius24
March 2nd, 2010, 18:48
Hi,

Thank you OBIO :icon29::icon29::applause::applause:

http://i50.tinypic.com/npj4he.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2dkg468.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/27z9lhy.jpg

VIDEO
http://www.4shared.com/file/233248627/9057315f/Alphasim_Bobcat.html

OBIO
March 2nd, 2010, 18:50
I will be doing more paints for the Bobcat....have 5 more military style ones to do, then I will do up some civilian skins. Then I will give the float version the same treatment I gave the wheeled version. I planned ahead and made the stock and new skins usable on the float version as well. Right now I am taking a break from the Bobcat and tinkering around with Joe Binka's Grumman Widgeon...the radial powered beast. I am putting the finishing touches on one very pretty skin....I think this is my favorite paint out of ALL the paints I have done.

Claudius,

Thanks for sharing the video. I was listening to the engine sounds during the flybys...and they are so very very close to the sounds of the real Bobcats doing flybys in the videos I used for reference.

OBIO

bpfowler
March 2nd, 2010, 19:39
downloading the update, skins, and sounds now.

looking forward to some bobcat formation work online!

gotta learn to fly somehow, right?

OBIO
March 2nd, 2010, 20:53
Of all the things that were improved on the Bobcat, I think the most striking difference is the engine detailing. That radial engine just stands out and demands attention...just as a radial engine should.

OBIO

Z-claudius24
March 2nd, 2010, 22:28
Hi,

Bobcat

OBIO .. check PM.

OBIO
March 2nd, 2010, 22:40
Got it....will give it a read. Thanks.

Just skimmed through the "book". Very interesting. Will give it a full read when I don't have two insane ferrets romping around the room and making sneak attacks on my toes. The section on the 120/140 really caught my eye....I fly the heck out of Brian Gladden's little Cessnas.

OBIO

NAMBUS
March 2nd, 2010, 23:28
Thanks again OBIO.
Excellent work on a great airplane.

Cheers :icon29::icon29:

Astoroth
March 2nd, 2010, 23:30
Very nice, Tim, er, Sasquatch, Thanks!

OBIO
March 3rd, 2010, 00:14
Glad you gents like what I did to the Bobcat. You guys have been waiting quite a while for the project. Was THIS CLOSE to having it uploaded and lost it all in a HD glitch. Started over from scratch, and I think the second go round is better than the first.

If you folks would, give me some feed back on the flight dynamics. I have tested and tested and tested, tweaked and tweaked again until I was happy with them. The landing characteristics were one area that I had to spend some time on....the drag generated from the flaps was virtually nil and I could not get the plane to slow down. I upped the drag coefficient on the flaps...hope I didn't take it to far.

OBIO

brad kaste
March 3rd, 2010, 10:27
....Excellent upgrade to the Cessna T50 Bobcat Tim. It's a delight all away around. And speaking of delights,...the girlie magazines are most appreciated too. When I'm hitting those long, boring stretches of scenery below,....I'll know what to reach for.

OBIO
March 3rd, 2010, 10:31
Brad

The girlie mags are part of the stock air craft. If you check out the 9 new paints I did, I have all those magazines alpha channeled to be invisible. If you want them in your planes, go into one of the 4 stock paints....the ones that are simply numbered, and copy and paste the BOBDECS.BMP file into the new paint folders.

If you check out one of the new skins, in the middle rear seat you will see a line going from the seat bottom to the seat back...that is an stray modeling poly left visible when I made the magazines invisible.

Tim

Wim
March 3rd, 2010, 11:20
Obio,

thanks for the update on the bobcat, its looks great and sounds impressive. But there is one minor glitch in the package, the Typhoon_Fuel2 and AvTutor_Airspeed gauge seem to be missing.
any clue about the aircraft they originated from? so i can search my aircraft archive or one of the majorsites.

Thanks any way for your great work .

Wim

brad kaste
March 3rd, 2010, 11:49
Wim,........ the.two missing gauges came with the original Alpahsim Bobcat. I've attached the two gauges you requested.

bpfowler
March 3rd, 2010, 16:30
thanks again tim.
teh flight on the first greek island hop was a blast.
how do we trim the t-50?
I couldnt find the wheel in the vc, should I put a gauge in the 2d?

OBIO
March 3rd, 2010, 16:41
I will be uploading the Bobcat packages to the SOH library later tonight. I will add a trim gauge to the 2D and VC panels before uploading. I can't believe that I hadn't already added a trim gauge as I find it easier to trim a plane with a visible gauge to look at. Or I could add do up a pop up window just for trim gauges...pitch, roll, and yaw. That was the gauges will be easily accessible without cluttering the 2D and VC panels.

OBIO

EDIT:

I tweaked the Bobcat panel to include a pop up trim window....Pitch and Yaw only...could not find a readily available roll trim gauge...I know there's one in that Gauge folder some where...not sure where. The following are the keys for the various Pop Up windows

F2= Radio
F3 = Trim
F4 = Engine and Fuel Management
F5 = GPS
F6 = CD Player

I will attach the modified panel config and the gauge used.

Wim
March 4th, 2010, 07:55
Wim,........ the.two missing gauges came with the original Alpahsim Bobcat. I've attached the two gauges you requested.

Oops , thanks for your reply, last night i realized it was the only folder i didn't think about to look
Just one of those Mayor Senior Moments.

Wim

PeteHam
March 4th, 2010, 10:20
Thanks for your work on the Bobcat Obio :applause:

I love the updated version and looking forward to the new civilian paints :jump:

Pete.

HighGround22
March 4th, 2010, 11:35
I will be doing more paints for the Bobcat....have 5 more military style ones to do, then I will do up some civilian skins. . . . -OBIOMany thanks for all this, Tim! The Bobcat was firmly in my "Once-In-A-While" hangar until now, but it'll be getting a good deal more use, with these fine updates.

Very-much looking forward to the "cillivian" paints, too!

dogknot
March 4th, 2010, 16:43
For EditVoicepack users: this vcpmod file will allow ATC to reference the Bobcat as "T-50 Bobcat".

Basic instructions included in the zip. Enjoy.

OBIO
March 4th, 2010, 21:34
I just uploaded a panel fix to Flightsim.com. The panel fix includes the two missing gauges and the pop up window for the trim gauges.

OBIO

TomSteber
March 5th, 2010, 04:01
I just uploaded a panel fix to Flightsim.com. The panel fix includes the two missing gauges and the pop up window for the trim gauges.

OBIO

Is this the same update that you posted here a couple of posts before? Or is a new one?
And here's my dumb question of the day, am I supposed to uninstall the original Bobcat or just add your update to it?
Looking forward to trying it out.

OBIO
March 5th, 2010, 07:51
The panel fix I uploaded is the same as what I posted here...but with the missing gauges included..the ones that Brad Kaste attached to his post.

I totally dump the original Bobcat and replace it with the updated one..unless you have a new paint for the original that you like...then I would dump the stock paints as the updated package has the stock paints (in tweaked form) and they config info is the same as in the stock package...so that might cause some conflicts.

One thing I forgot to mention.....if you look in the MODEL folder, there is a second MDL called less shine Bob1.mdl. This MDL file will give you a Bobcat that is glossy, but not overly shiny...about 1/2 that amount of specular shine as the original MDL file.

OBIO

racartron
March 5th, 2010, 08:32
I love the updated Bobcat.:applause: It has always one of my favorite birds. BTW, you can also add in any of the add-on liveries from the earlier version by copying the new panel into each add-on folder. Since the doors are contained in the panel bmp you need to match the new panel to the old livery. This works out well most of the time. However.sometimes there isn't a viable matching skin color. In this case i just plug one with an olive drab finish and tell anyone I've just replaced the doors and they are still painted with primer :icon_lol: An example is the pure white Sky King livery.

Also, there are four different decal bmps in the original. so you can drop them into the new liveries randomly to add some variety to the VC experience

TomSteber
March 5th, 2010, 09:13
The panel fix I uploaded is the same as what I posted here...but with the missing gauges included..the ones that Brad Kaste attached to his post.

I totally dump the original Bobcat and replace it with the updated one..unless you have a new paint for the original that you like...then I would dump the stock paints as the updated package has the stock paints (in tweaked form) and they config info is the same as in the stock package...so that might cause some conflicts.

One thing I forgot to mention.....if you look in the MODEL folder, there is a second MDL called less shine Bob1.mdl. This MDL file will give you a Bobcat that is glossy, but not overly shiny...about 1/2 that amount of specular shine as the original MDL file.

OBIO

Thanks OBIO,
Can't wait to try her out.

OBIO
March 5th, 2010, 09:33
An example is the pure white Sky King livery.

The Sky King livery is on the To Do list...so you will have a new one with all the bells and whistles.

OBIO

Reddog
March 5th, 2010, 11:14
In the aircraft folder the alpha version has 5 differnt model versions, your update replaces all 5 of there's??

OBIO
March 5th, 2010, 11:55
Model versions? The stock freeware Alpha Bobcat comes in wheeled and float version. The wheeled version comes with 4 skins (US Army UB, a pre-war skin, a US Navy skin and a RCAF Crane skin). The updated package just covers the wheeled version and has the 4 skins skins, with DrZGard's panel mod in place. I tweaked the flight dynamics to increase the speed of the plane to real world specs, get the fuel consumption as close to real world as I could get (based on information from actual T-50 manuals). Additionally, there are two packs of new skins and a sound pack for the Bobcat (wheeled version).

The freeware Bobcat Float version comes with a single skin...a red one. I have not done any updating to the float version yet...but will be doing so in the near future. It will also receive DrZGard's panel modificition, tweaked flight dynamics and new skins, and a dedicated sound package with water sounds enabled for more realism when you are taking off and landing.

OBIO

dogknot
March 5th, 2010, 15:16
Been having lots of fun with OBIO's updated Bobcat! Of course, that means I just have to tweak the tweaks. :icon_lol:

I made a switches panel bitmap and mounted it on the 2D panel.
Resized/repositioned the trim wheels and gave them a transparent background.
Resized the radio stack.
Resized/repositioned the music player.
Resized/repositioned the GPS.

What do you guys think?

switches panel
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/B_Sneezy/T-50%20Bobcat/a_switches.jpg

Trim
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/B_Sneezy/T-50%20Bobcat/c_trim.jpg

Radio stack
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/B_Sneezy/T-50%20Bobcat/b_radios.jpg

Music Player
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/B_Sneezy/T-50%20Bobcat/d_music.jpg

Reddog
March 5th, 2010, 16:17
Model versions? The stock freeware Alpha Bobcat comes in wheeled and float version. The wheeled version comes with 4 skins (US Army UB, a pre-war skin, a US Navy skin and a RCAF Crane skin). The updated package just covers the wheeled version and has the 4 skins skins, with DrZGard's panel mod in place. I tweaked the flight dynamics to increase the speed of the plane to real world specs, get the fuel consumption as close to real world as I could get (based on information from actual T-50 manuals). Additionally, there are two packs of new skins and a sound pack for the Bobcat (wheeled version).

The freeware Bobcat Float version comes with a single skin...a red one. I have not done any updating to the float version yet...but will be doing so in the near future. It will also receive DrZGard's panel modificition, tweaked flight dynamics and new skins, and a dedicated sound package with water sounds enabled for more realism when you are taking off and landing.

OBIO
OK in my a/c folder there are 5 folders labled as follows:
Cessna Bobcat Civilian
" " Civilian Float
" " Military
" " Military float
" " Sky King version

OBIO
March 5th, 2010, 18:10
Do you have the Bobcat as it came as a payware item perhaps? The freeware package that Alphasim released only has two models...the wheeled and float version. The wheeled package has 4 skins and the float version has 1 skin.

Could you post some screenshots of the different models...focusing on the engines...be interesting to see just what the differences are.

OBIO

bpfowler
March 5th, 2010, 19:26
floats?
we got floats??

Z-claudius24
March 5th, 2010, 20:37
Hi,

Very nice tweak Dogknot :applause:
Can you post here in attachement your modifications ?

OBIO
March 5th, 2010, 20:40
Yeah...there is a float version of the Bobcat. I haven't done the update on it yet...but will. If you go to Flightsim.com and download the package that Alphasim released a year or two ago....the float plane version is in it. There is only one skin with the stock floater, but if you take the entire panel folder from the updated wheeled version, drop it into the float plane version...the 9 new skins I did will work on the float version.

T-50FS89.zip is the package name on Flightsim.com.

OBIO

bpfowler
March 6th, 2010, 05:58
thanks OBIO.
another radial float plane wont hurt me a bit.

dogknot
March 6th, 2010, 11:36
Hi,

Very nice tweak Dogknot :applause:
Can you post here in attachement your modifications ?

Sure. Just rename your original panel.cfg to something like panel.cfg.orig and place the new panel.cfg and the switch_panel.bmp into the Bobcats panel folder. That's it. Give it a try and see what you think.

Z-claudius24
March 6th, 2010, 13:29
Hi,

Thank you .. work great :jump: