PDA

View Full Version : Blue/Black screen of death

aeromed202
February 28th, 2010, 17:21
Wasn't there some discussion here about this Windows 7 problem? It has struck at my house so any help would be welcome. :isadizzy:

harleyman
February 28th, 2010, 18:26
When does it happen???

Is it only in gaming?

We need more info....

sky pilot
February 28th, 2010, 19:45
Wasn't there some discussion here about this Windows 7 problem? It has struck at my house so any help would be welcome. :isadizzy:
I had the same trouble with my new Windows 7 Hp. and as I thought it turned out to be a memory card !
Hp. told me there was nothing wrong with it so I told them that I would run it intill it kicked off and then they could fix it and it did and it WAS just as I had thought !
So you might want to get ahold of them befor it goes out all the way as they had to replace the whole coumpture when it did ! This one WAS a 4 gb memory and it was only working on 2 Gb.,
Robert Wyant (aka sky pilot)

gigabyte
March 1st, 2010, 02:14
I have not experienced and BSD or CTD errors on Win 7 yet, but then again I didn't have the problems many users had with Vista. Having said that if you have a Memory Module that is bad or starting to go bad it will cause one or both of the classic Blue/Black screens or Crash to Desktop problems, the best way to check that is run a god memory test utility. I use this MemTest (the free version works fine) when I have a "Problem child" http://hcidesign.com/memtest/. Just start it and allow it to run as long as you can I sometimes start it before hitting the sack and let it go overnight.

The other big issue that can cause this to happen is a bad driver, although you generally see some Constancy when that is the problem, such as the system crashes whenever you fire up your scanner or something like that.

good luck, and hope it is a quick and easy fix.

aeromed202
March 1st, 2010, 05:05
It's on my daughters ASUS K60 LT with Win7. Boot-up stops just short of the logon screen in regular, safe mode, anything. The activity light has that 'I'm stuck' repeating pattern look. I did start the memory check utility last night from the F8 boot interrupt screen so we'll see what that turns up.

But I also had a brain fart and remembered that he wife spent money I didn't know we had on a desk top with Win 7 so I am going to make a recovery disc from that and try booting from it.

There is also the topic of a patch out there to prevent this problem. Prevx claims to have one but I don't know anything about them.

Any help with this problem will be most welcome.

GT182
March 1st, 2010, 06:33
I had the same happen last night with X3TC/AMS mod. XP Home is still my OS. CTD twice, but only after I'd jumped to the Terran sectors. One restart of X3 was fine then the second one happened about 30 minutes into the game, after the restart. I haven had any CTDs up till this. Virus and Malware scans show my system to be clean of any nasties.

I'll give X3 another go later on and see what happens. Maybe it was my GFX card heating up. Fan has been making a bit of noise lately but seems to be cooling ok.... up till the crashes. Hasn't done it with anything else so far.... knock on wood.