PDA

View Full Version : I was about to watch Canada beat the USA at Ice Hockey ............

6297J
February 28th, 2010, 11:11
......................... but the game seems to go on for hours!!

I'm not sure if I can last that long, I've got an early start tomorrow :sleep:

Might be fun though!

Cazzie
February 28th, 2010, 12:35
I'm switching back and forth, but the damn networks have synced their commercials, i swear! Get a advert during the race, switch to the match and damn, got an ad there too. The commercials are what make me shut off the TV, too redundant, bores me to sleep. Why hasn;t someone killed Flo at Progressive yet, that witch burn mes up.

Caz

Bjoern
February 28th, 2010, 13:30
Hm...2-2 in the 3rd period.

Go Canada!

Ken Stallings
February 28th, 2010, 13:41
A classic matchup suddenly becomes a classic match!

Go USA!!

Ken

N2056
February 28th, 2010, 13:57
Well, as much as I would have liked to see team USA win it was a great game to watch, and if we were going to get beat having Canada win on "home ice" was pretty cool.

RL_201
February 28th, 2010, 13:59
Canada WINS!!! :applause::applause: 3-2 in OT :canada:
Crosby scores the OT Winner

Ken Stallings
February 28th, 2010, 13:59
Sid the Kid beat his man to the goal, and in a flash too fast for the camera to keep up, he slapped it past Ryan Miller to send all of Canada into delirium!

Hell of a hockey game!

Congrats, Canada! The Molson will flow liberally tonight! :icon29:

Ken

Panther_99FS
February 28th, 2010, 14:03
:canada::canada::canada::guinness:

Henry
February 28th, 2010, 14:13
a great game!
both teams did great
congrats to Canada:guinness:
H

Cazzie
February 28th, 2010, 14:16
Congrats Canada, hell of a game, switched to that when I was sure one of the Hendricks cars was going to win the race. Wish now I had watched the entire game and left the race alone. All that time just to see the 48 car win again. It's getting to be like Groundhog Day!

Ken Stallings
February 28th, 2010, 14:19
You know, as much as I so dearly wanted the US to win this game. Having listened to the crowd and listened to "Oh Canada" being sung so well by the entire stadium, I have to admit this was a fully classic situation. I would say Vancouver, British Columbia and Canada's Olympic Games of 2010 were ended with the most beautiful of well tied red bows!

Watching the Canadian supervisor wait to acknowledge the crowd's anticipated roar as he was ready to slip the gold medal around the last player in line -- Sidney Crosby -- as he delayed and physically urged the crowd to roar even louder, I suddenly appreciated what it really all meant. Sidney became a national sport hero for the rest of enternity. I cannot think of a more satisfying feeling as a human being.

Ryan Miller was voted the Most Valuable Player of the hockey tournament field. Well earned!

Canada as a nation got what they wanted most!

Ken

Bjoern
February 28th, 2010, 14:20
Canada, oh yeah! :applause: :ernae:

Panther_99FS
February 28th, 2010, 14:32
Having listened to the crowd and listened to "Oh Canada" being sung so well by the entire stadium, I have to admit this was a fully classic situation.
Ken

Agreed 100% Ken....:canada:

EasyEd
February 28th, 2010, 14:40
Hey All,

What a game! What an Olympics!

Canada from never having won gold as the host in two previous Olympics (Calgary and Montreal) to winning more gold in one Olympics than any country in the history of the winter Olympics. A great story in and of itself.

Men's and women's Hockey gold medals are just the icing on the cake! As a note Crosby's goal will become almost as historic as Henderson's in 72.

The sentimental story of this Olympics - Joannie Rochette of Canada who won figure skating Bronze despite the fact that her mother died of a heart attack on arrival in Vancouver where she expected to see her daughter skate.

This dual American/Canadian Citizen is very proud tonight!

-Ed-

Cloud9Gal
February 28th, 2010, 14:41
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s10241.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

This was an AWESOME game! Both teams played with their heart & soul! They gave it their all! Alas! There can only be ONE Gold Medal winner, and today, Team Canada was. With that said, both teams were winners in my book. While I am ecstatic that Canada won, I'm also proud that Team USA was the team to stand next to Canada on that podium. (even though there was not a podium).

http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Flags/canadian-flag-15.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Flags-Smileys.html) Congrats to both teams! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Flags/usa-flag-89.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

Way to go Canada! I am proud to be Canadian, but today, more than any other day, I'm even more so.

http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s3853.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

Cloud9Gal
February 28th, 2010, 14:43
This dual American/Canadian Citizen is very proud tonight!

-Ed-

Having my dual citizenship, I feel the exact same way Ed! Both my countries won tonight! :applause:

Silver Fox
February 28th, 2010, 14:55
Great Game!!!

Gotta hand it to Team USA, a great performance! Very well played game to cap ofF a stellar US performance in the Round Robin.

A perfect cap to a wonderful Olympics, Vancouver was a great host for the Games.

Go Canada Go!

Eoraptor1
February 28th, 2010, 15:39
Congratulations, Canada. This is what I like about hockey; they settle it on the ice. I'm not a big fan of sudden death in any sport - especially football - but consider figure skating. It obviously takes a lot of training, dedication, and atheltic ability, but then there are these people called judges... I'd have liked to have seen USA win, but I can't think of ANY sport that impinges on the American psyche like hockey does in Canada. I live right on the border, and you can't go to the convenience store without interacting with Canadians here, so I do know a little of what I'm talking about. The closest I can come to describing it is the people in Friday Night Lights, but even that's wrong. They have their own thing. You have to have been around Canadians. You'd see it a once. Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS CANADA!!!

JAMES

Tienmac
February 28th, 2010, 15:49
I was living in the USA when Canada won the Gold medal in Olympic Men's and Women's hockey at Salt Lake in 2002. I was proud to be a Canadian. I think I am even prouder watching them win in Vancouver tonight. Go Canada!!!

:canada::icon29:

Ken Stallings
February 28th, 2010, 15:53
Man! I thought all you Canadians would be at the local bar by now celebrating! :icon_lol::icon29:

GT182
February 28th, 2010, 15:59
Congrats Canada on a great game and the win for Gold. You deserve it :canada:..... :applause:

And to the US team...... congrats on the Silver. You guys played great too. :USA-flag: :applause: Hey, only one team can win the Gold..... the #2 spot ain't all that bad.

deathfromafar
February 28th, 2010, 16:10
Congrats to team Canada! Great job guys! I am very proud of the outstanding effort our team made as well!

Thanks goes to Canada for hosting a great Winter Games! Salute to all the Olympic Athletes both medal winners and competitors in all their efforts! :salute::applause:

hey_moe
February 28th, 2010, 16:13
Congrats to team Canada! The wife and I enjoyed ever bit of it. Matter of fact we have enjoyed watching all of it for the past couple of weeks :applause::applause:...Mike

Dain Arns
February 28th, 2010, 16:23
As I said in another forum, if the US had to lose, I'm glad Canada won BOTH Hockey Golds.
They have always been good neighbors to us.
You like to see good things happen to your friends.

I thought it was great they gave our goalie, Ryan Miller, a very heartfelt ovation when he received his medal.
That just tells everyone how honorable and classy Canada's citizens can be.

Both Men's and Women's torunaments were awesome.
And also amazingly, both tournaments ended with the same countries in the exact same orders.
This has truly been a great Winter Games, one of great memories.

jmig
February 28th, 2010, 17:34
I too want to wish Canada congratulations. Not being a hockey fan, I still have my fingernails and my blood pressure isn't off the chart. As others have said, if the USA couldn't win I am glad it was Canada. I know how important this was to them.

Congratulations to all the countries who participated in the games. Your sports heroes gave their all and will come home as winner, with and without medals.

Lionheart
February 28th, 2010, 18:07
Congrats Canada!

Man, that was one rough match! I cant believe the US did as well as we did. You Canadians were out for blood! Goodness. I havent seen such a hockey game ever...

Bill

Cloud9Gal
February 28th, 2010, 18:12
In the end, that's what it's all about...

USA fan Steve Vargas, left, gets a hug from a Canada fan as they celebrate on Robson Street after the men's gold medal ice hockey match between Canada and the USA at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, Sunday, Feb. 28, 2010.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/Windfury/capt_05c911ab47ad44b699cff1406bfe1c.jpg

Ken Stallings
February 28th, 2010, 18:56
That photo really kind of says it all, doesn't it!

It wouldn't have been nearly as much fun, nor remained in the memories nearly as long if the US beat anyone else for the gold as going to overtime to lose to Canada ended up meaning.

I watched a lot of the Olympic hockey matches. No doubt about it -- none of the other matches had nearly the same intensity. There also wasn't a lick of dirty play. The best description was made by the NBC announcers, who said it was going to be "black and blue hockey!"

I really thought the US might pull it off, and the funny thing is I really firmly believed the Americans were going to send it into overtime with a 6 on 5 play at the end. Wasn't any case of prescience so much as an observation that the teams were playing so evenly and well that an extra attacker would end up working.

Wayne Gretzky before the first match played said he was hoping for a US versus Canada matchup. It was the game everyone in the North American hemisphere wanted. Every single member of each team sincerely thought they could win this game and no quarter was given. Add in the obvious regional rivalry, and it's a receipe for a game folks will be talking about many decades from now.

I suppose the next games in Russia will carry the same intrinsic meaning for the Russian players. And I am more than confident that the quality of this gold medal game will force the NHL to continue their cooperation. What I don't understand is what matchup could mean the same as this one tonight. Russia versus Canada doesn't seem to come close. I cannot see a natural geographical rivalry that comes close, which is, I guess, what made tonight so special.

Cheers,

Ken

gigabyte
March 1st, 2010, 02:35
Well I am not what anyone could call a sports fan, I hardly watched any of the Olympic's, but I felt connected to mens Hockey last night, and it was an excellent game all around. Yeah I am proud to be Canadian (always have been tho) after seeing the boys and girls get Gold, and it is a little extra special when it happens on home turf. Oh that personal connection, "Sid the Kid" his dad Troy was the Operations Manager for the Law Frim my wife worked for, we used to get to follow Sid's career up close in the beginning from his High School and Jr hockey days, everyone always knew he had what it takes to be a Hockey Hero.

I haven't seen Troy or Sid since he left Dartmouth for the NHL but he was (and still appears to be) a great kid, and Sid along with the rest of the Mens & Womens Teams made Canada proud last night.

This was a great finish and what an excellent game, both sides of the rink and the border got what they came for "GOOD HOCKEY"!
:salute:

Snuffy
March 1st, 2010, 03:21
Congrats! :canada: :unitedstates: