PDA

View Full Version : New Project...

Matt Wynn
February 27th, 2010, 20:02
well i decided to learn 3DS.... as such lets see if you can guess what i'm working on.... it is easy....:icon_lol:

krazycolin
February 27th, 2010, 20:03
An excellent choice if I may say....

ColoKent
February 27th, 2010, 20:54
...no one has ever done a Lightning before... :running:

K

Matt Wynn
February 27th, 2010, 20:59
Not for FSX anyway :kilroy: or that i know of... anyway 6am.... i'm heading for a power nap and going back to it after my minds refreshed and i've avoided getting told off by my gal' for not sleeping :icon_lol:

EDIT: last shot for now, until i get back up from my nap, canopy will be cut out from the model once the spine is honed (Hence why i did a rough shaping in that area...

SirBenn21
February 27th, 2010, 22:06
Way cool!!!

Always use to enjoy the Lighting at the air-shows in South Africa. Very impressive jet indeed. Next to the Harrier the best the Britts came up with.

Ben

guzler
February 28th, 2010, 00:44
"The secret" is working !!!!

I was only thinking this week how I would love an FSX Lightning.

Now off to think about the lottery !!!!!!!

Lewis-A2A
February 28th, 2010, 05:53
RAF Binbrook and Lightings, mmmmmmm :ernae:

kilo delta
February 28th, 2010, 06:22
Excellent choice, Matt.:applause:

BTW...I remember hearing a rumour about some other developer doing an FSX'd EE Lightning too....can't remember who though?

Matt Wynn
February 28th, 2010, 06:40
yeah? i'm hooked now only just got up and already fired up 3DS to continue work... todays job.... fuselage...Phase 2 shaping :icon_lol: and possibly cut room for the canopy, depends how my learning goes, as i said this is the first time i've really poured effort into a project, my Grandfather has very close ties with lightning, so i'll be interrogating him about it at some point :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
February 28th, 2010, 07:28
thought some of you might enjoy this...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fLMhdUYUQQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fLMhdUYUQQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lewis-A2A
February 28th, 2010, 07:36
"The lighting, teaching F111 pilots that FAST just isnt FAST enough"

:ernae:

Matt Wynn
February 28th, 2010, 07:38
"The lighting, teaching F111 pilots that FAST just isnt FAST enough"

:ernae:

you ain't kidding, just look at the acceleration from a standstill alone, and going into that trademark ballistic climb... that climb alone always and still amazes me...:jump:

Lionheart
February 28th, 2010, 08:54
Hey Smoothie,

Your work is looking great. Nice choice of jet.

Which edition of 3DS did you get, if I may ask? I hear that issue 10 will not export to FSX format. I recently obtained version 9 and it will not export or load the FSX tools.

Bill

Matt Wynn
February 28th, 2010, 09:12
Bill i use Max 2008, and it's likely to be a keeper in my eyes, this as i said is my first foray out of FSDS where the furthest i ever got was scenery items for my own use...

Everyone thanks for the comments, it keeps me going on this project... heres a little update fuselage phase 2 shaped... time for phase 3 shaping :icon_lol: i do the shaping in Phases, each time honing the shape and adding features, i think i have phase 3 noted as the underside ventral fuel tank....yup i do :icon_lol:

noddy
February 28th, 2010, 09:46
Great news a Lightning for FSX. Great video, nice to see the Valiant as well.

Matt Wynn
February 28th, 2010, 10:01
yeah this is really turning into a labour of love... not been able to put 3DS Max down all day :icon_lol:

as such i just put the ventral fuel tank on roughly, gotta smooth the fuselage and tank out now, not too much work i'm hoping...

Bjoern
February 28th, 2010, 12:46
Modeling is the fun part...texturing and animations will be a PITA deluxe.

I recently obtained version 9 and it will not export or load the FSX tools.

This *might* help:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14152&highlight=paths+tools

Matt Wynn
February 28th, 2010, 12:51
ahh i'll tackle that when i get there i'm trying to shake a canopy induced headache at the moment :icon_lol:

Bjoern
February 28th, 2010, 13:02
ahh i'll tackle that when i get there i'm trying to shake a canopy induced headache at the moment :icon_lol:

Windows or general shape? :d

Matt Wynn
February 28th, 2010, 13:09
general shape, already got a plan for the window areas :icon_lol:

Bjoern
February 28th, 2010, 14:23
general shape, already got a plan for the window areas :icon_lol:

Windows: Shape merge or boolean.

As for the shape: Trail and error. It'll look right eventually. :d

fsafranek
February 28th, 2010, 15:50
Not for FSX anyway :kilroy: or that i know of...
Umm. I know of. Er, better not. :kilroy:

Lionheart
February 28th, 2010, 18:59
Bill i use Max 2008, and it's likely to be a keeper in my eyes, this as i said is my first foray out of FSDS where the furthest i ever got was scenery items for my own use...

Roger that.

I just found out why mine will not export. I purchased Max 2009, not Max 9. Seems Max 2008 and Max 9 are the last versions that work for the FSX SDK.

Nice progress on your model!

Bill

grumpos
February 28th, 2010, 19:32
I recently obtained version 9 and it will not export or load the FSX tools.

Bill

Strange, it should do both. I think that there was a thread on installing max 9 over at the Free Flligh tDesign forums.

Have fun with the new features. :guinness:

Best wishes
steve p

Matt Wynn
March 1st, 2010, 01:42
starting to make some progress... hopefully once i get back from the gym i'll be able to continue work, maybe even smooth the fuselage out some and add the spine aft of the canopy (And Round it's mouth off more) :icon_lol::jump:

Matt Wynn
March 9th, 2010, 06:53
ok today i refined the intake 'Bullet' and got the inlet cut.... been a bit busy recently, only just had a chance to continue work... :icon_lol: still gotta smooth that fuselage and ventral tank i know..... ok just added another 2 images showing the bullet/cone support struts...

Skittles
March 9th, 2010, 08:12
Modeling is the fun part...texturing and animations will be a PITA deluxe.

Whilst you may be correct about animation, I could not disagree more about texturing!

To me that is where a model comes to life. For me, modelling is tedious - but I love it when I can splash on the paint at the end.

With a brilliant texture you can make an average model look brilliant.

With an average texture a brilliant model will look average....

I don't paint planes (most paint kits aren't my cup of tea), but give me a finished model and I'll have it looking stunning in no time!

Lewis-A2A
March 9th, 2010, 08:17
Skittles, I believe he means the mapping, which indeed can be a real PITA :kilroy:

guzler
March 9th, 2010, 09:30
I nearly got married once so I could plan a stag do that involved me and my best man going to Thunder City to fly in a lightning. Some of you might deduce that I hadn't thought it through as there could of been some longer term consequences :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
March 9th, 2010, 09:50
yeah consequence being would you ever leave thunder city? :icon_lol: i would but thats because without my Mrs i do stupid things.... i need to redo that inlet, it's not round enough... i sense a part being sub-divided so it can be round... :icon_lol:

Bjoern
March 9th, 2010, 11:56
Whilst you may be correct about animation, I could not disagree more about texturing!

To me that is where a model comes to life. For me, modelling is tedious - but I love it when I can splash on the paint at the end.

With a brilliant texture you can make an average model look brilliant.

With an average texture a brilliant model will look average....

I don't paint planes (most paint kits aren't my cup of tea), but give me a finished model and I'll have it looking stunning in no time!

Got some spare time?

I have a Do-328 in need for some textures and panel lines. :icon_lol:

The problem with creating textures is that I just don't know how to start or end up wanting things *too* accurate, which can be fairly frustrating.

Skittles, I believe he means the mapping, which indeed can be a real PITA :kilroy:

The UVW mapper itself, planning ahead in terms of texture layout, selecting every small face and map it....uuuurgh!