PDA

View Full Version : Weird Ground - What Happened Here???

TARPSBird
February 27th, 2010, 01:00
Black and bright-colored (corrupt?) ground textures north of Palwaukee Airport (KPWK). Could an automatic aircraft installer (.exe file) cause this???

TARPSBird
February 27th, 2010, 13:06
OK, never mind, I'll figure it out. :mixedsmi:

huub vink
February 27th, 2010, 13:23
It is definitely weird and I have never seen it before. An executable could cause this, but only when it replaces a few texture file in the scenery folder. Therefore I don't think it is very logical.

Cheers,
Huub

TARPSBird
February 27th, 2010, 13:39
Huub,
Thanks for your response.
I noticed the weird ground tex's last night after installing Milton Shupe's Beech 18 but I think it was just coincidental. The Beech doesn't come with any associated scenery. Could be due to a Windows start-up problem I had to fix. Is there one specific folder in FS9 that contains the ground textures?

Milton Shupe
February 27th, 2010, 14:08
I suspect it is a coincidence and these weird anomalies usually happen when the video card is being taxed by weather or total environment.

In any event, pleasee also visit the D18S webpage and go through the FAQ's to see if you need any of those updates.

http://www.flightsimonline.com/d18s/

Willy
February 27th, 2010, 14:33
I've had that happen once and ended up re-installing FS. That kind of thing is why I like to point those auto-installers at an empty folder and then install the bits manually. Which is why I avoid some payware companies as their installers won't let you do that.

huub vink
February 27th, 2010, 15:10
As far as I know nearly all the ground textures are in the Flight Simulator 9/Scenery/World/Textures folder. By default there are some photorealistic textures for some cities.

So it could be that the ground textures around Palwaukee Airport can be found in Flight Simulator 9/Scenery/Cities/Chicago/Textures .

Cheers,
Huub

TARPSBird
February 27th, 2010, 18:16
Fortunately I had another (older) FS9 install on my old HD, I deleted the problem scenery folder and copied the older one over. That apparently solved the problem, everything is back to its seasonal snow-covered splendor. :d
Milton, I love your Beech 18. First plane I ever refueled in the Navy was a UC-45. :) I'm sure the texture prob was just coincidental with the aircraft addition but thanks for the link to your webpage.