PDA

View Full Version : hang gliders

cheezyflier
February 25th, 2010, 10:18
a guy i occasionally talk to on a bicycle forum also does hang gliding. check it out, he has a really good time. i would love to try this someday:

PHYV0fMxNAo

CADFather
February 25th, 2010, 11:30
Cheezy,
If you ever get back down to TN, I've got one of the best places in the world for hang gliding less that 25 minutes from the house. Lookout Mtn, TN, people come here from all over just to ride the air here, plus there is a hang gliding training park on Raccoon Mtn, just about 10 miles from Lookout. I've always wanted to try it, but have always been too fat and too poor.

CAD

GT182
February 25th, 2010, 14:59
I've always wanted to try it, but have always been too fat and too poor.

CAD

I'm too chicken and too poor. Tho I do love to fly. ;)

HouseHobbit
February 25th, 2010, 15:06
I have been to Raccoon Mtn Hang Gliding back in the in 80's. It was a wonderful place..
camped there for 4 days during the international Hang Gliding meet..
learned to do this there..and Love it..Still do it.. I have not lost my my Love of this since those days..
BRAVO..

Willy
February 25th, 2010, 15:49
I tried hang gliding once about '75 on the side of a Scottish mountain. Crashed and burned big time. Panther would have been proud.

CADFather
February 25th, 2010, 17:47
I was probably there too HH, I spent quite a lot of time hanging out up there in the 80's. They used to have a zip line hang gliding trainer that no matter how bad you screwed up you couldn't crash. I don't know if they still do that or not or even if the park is still open, there has been a lot of development in that area.

CAD

Lionheart
February 25th, 2010, 18:44
Dang! That is too awesome! I had to watch it in full screen.

Pucker Factor Majorly!!! lol... Goodness.. I am going to Ebay to look up hang gliders, lolol.. (Gotta feed the dream).

How on Earth.. He practically was going the distance from LA to San Diego. I cant believe he was getting up to 8,000 feet from thermals. That is just too unreal.

I wonder how that Horton flying wing glider would do, if it has a better glider performance ratio compared to that glider.

Thanks CF. That was awesome.

Bill

Matt Wynn
February 25th, 2010, 19:00
i've always had a fascination with hang gliders, maybe because i'm a nutter who loves freefall :icon_lol:

8000ft on thermals is good going, i'm seriously considering Hang Gliding now, provided my friend and a certain ultralight don't get in the way :icon_lol: now theres an idea one of you hang gliding lot get me up to 8000ft on a tandem rig, i'll drop off with my chute and race you to the ground :icon_lol:

cheezyflier
February 25th, 2010, 19:17
8000' is good, yes. but keep in mind that he is getting some pretty sweet ridge lift because of the height of those mtns and their proximity to the ocean. i think that has to be a major factor. you probably couldn't do that as easily over the smokies.

***i always wondered if someone took a hang glider off of holston bluff, could he cross the lake?

Snuffy
February 26th, 2010, 03:36
Having been one of those kids who took a bed sheet to the roof of a three story house and jumped off hoping to parachute to earth, I can assure you, I'd love to try to hang glide.

I think I'd have a ball with ultra-light aircraft too, however, I have never persued either desire.

Lionheart
February 26th, 2010, 07:42
I still cant get that out of my mind. I couldnt sleep for a while last night and so I parused YouTube for more footage of hang gliding. Some cool shots, and also some lessons on there as well; how to take off, landing, approaches..

Mind you its very dangerous. One messup or bad calculation, down draft, etc, and you could die or be permanently disabled. There were some crash footages in YT also, which I didnt want to paruse. I dont need bad things like that replaying in my brain while trying to sleep, lol.. eeks..

Bill

HouseHobbit
February 26th, 2010, 07:52
I have been hang gliding for 30 years now
And only once did I have to pray alot..
LOL..
Learned it at Raccoon Mountain and I have to admit
In 82' when I got my first chance I Jumped at it..
Like they say HOBBITS DO FLY!!!

WOW I'd bet we did run into each other there..
TOO COOL.
I ran into alot of things then.. Mostly the Ground learning to Hang Glide..
LOL..

cheezyflier
February 26th, 2010, 08:48
Like they say HOBBITS DO FLY!!!

who says that? :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
February 26th, 2010, 09:00
hobbits.... about the right size to practice them tough field goals :icon_lol: don't worry HH you won't be used, those that are fly, thrust provided by a boot :icon_lol:

Dain Arns
February 26th, 2010, 10:22
Alright it's not the same. But there are some Hang Glider add-ons for FSX.
With ridge lift and thermals going, I have done it around Dillingham in Oahu.
It was a lot of fun. I had a hard time getting back to the ground one day. :icon_lol:

But that is something I have thought about too.
Miss the ultralight days of my youth watching that video.
Thanks for posting that Cheezy.

HouseHobbit
February 26th, 2010, 12:59
HEY, HEY... there will be NO Hobbit Footballing..
I hate it when that happens..

Besides the Only one here I'd let Boot Me
would be C9G..Anytime she ask i'd be ready.. She has Nice Boots..

And several of my Hang Gliding friends
said..
HOBBITS DO FLY..

Landing... that was a different matter all together..:pop4:

cheezyflier
February 26th, 2010, 13:31
HEY, HEY... there will be NO Hobbit Footballing..
I hate it when that happens..

Besides the Only one here I'd let Boot Me
would be C9G..Anytime she ask i'd be ready.. She has Nice Boots..

reminds me of a quote from the move "lake placid"

"i used to have a recurring nightmare that i was headless. i'd be down on the ground looking up at my headless body, watching myself walk around the yard bumping into things, and my parents wouldn't let me in the house because they'd just bought all these antique lamps didn't want me to knock them over, the ****ers. then the neighborhood kids came by, saw my severed head lying on the ground and started a game of kickball, and as i was being kicked around, i actually just felt grateful for being allowed in the game"