PDA

View Full Version : World's largest aircraft graveyard

sandar
February 23rd, 2010, 12:40
I have seen this article in a few media outlets recently, with this picture. It's the worlds biggest spot the airctaft contest. How many can you identify?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8530165.stm

Jagdflieger
February 23rd, 2010, 13:01
I've been to Davis-Monthon AB a couple of different times. It is always impressive, but somehow sad to see all the planes out in the desert like that.

South of the Boneyard, the Pima County Air and Space Museum is the recipient of many of the old aeroplanes. They restore and display them. It is a day long visit to see all of the planes there and well worth a stop in Tucson if you are ever traveling through Southern Arizona.

http://www.pimaair.org/

Wittpilot
February 23rd, 2010, 13:03
I have been there personally, as I am sure many others here have... *actually I do believe Panther was stationed there for awhile right?* ... It is very impressive... I would strongly suggest taking the tour if you are ever out there....

cheezyflier
February 23rd, 2010, 13:04
so, if i won the lottery would they sell me one?

GT182
February 23rd, 2010, 13:16
Sad to say I've been by it but never had the chance to stop in. Tho I did stop at the Triple T Truckstop in Tuson to eat and take a snooze. ;) Does close count? LOL

Wittpilot
February 23rd, 2010, 13:54
Hey Gary... I've been there too!!!!!!!!

aeromed202
February 23rd, 2010, 15:31
I was fascinated to learn of this desert spot. Air&Space did an article describing how they chop up the B-52s and arrange them for satellite imaging so our counterparts can see how many had their wings (and tails) clipped. Something like a 5 ton slab of steel plate hoisted over the target and dropped guillotine-style. Barbaric.

Man those 52s were awsome though.

lifejogger
February 23rd, 2010, 17:06
Wouldn't you love to be allowed just to wander around that place for a day and take pictures.

Panther_99FS
February 23rd, 2010, 17:36
... *actually I do believe Panther was stationed there for awhile right?* ..

Yeppers....I spent 9 awesome years stationed there....:salute:

6297J
February 23rd, 2010, 21:31
Yeppers....I spent 9 awesome years stationed there....:salute:

Is that how long it took to park them?

Penzoil3
February 23rd, 2010, 21:41
"Wouldn't you love to be allowed just to wander around that place for a day and take pictures."

:jump:
In 1968, I got to do just that. My father worked for the Air Pollution Control department, and they had testing equipment at the Boneyard. He knew everyone there, and back then security wasn't the concern it is now. We drove down to Tucson, the guys let us in, and we spent the day just wandering around looking at everything. I'll never forget that day. It was awesome, literally. :running::icon_lol:
Sue

TARPSBird
February 23rd, 2010, 23:47
There are still a few "vintage" birds at D-M, including F-4's, T-33's, some B-57 variants, and (at last count) three RF-8G Crusaders (my old buddies), the photo version of the famous F-8 gunfighter, all of which are now long gone from D-M. Google Earth imagery date is 2005, I'm sure a lot of the residents have been turned into pots and pans since them. :frown:

Lionheart
February 24th, 2010, 01:06
The place is immense. When you drive by it on the main roads, you just keep driving and driving along side it, like its several miles. Tons and tons of rudders that you can see over the high wall that surrounds the fascility. Something like 50 or 100 F-16's, rows of them. Bombers, etc.

They have a museum there with some cool classics, rare birds. Its not a 'inside' museum though. The planes are parked out in the dirt, sort of dusty.

It would be awesome to walk down some of the rows of these planes and just check them out. Its amazing.

Yes CF, some are for sale and you can get parts there for most planes that have gone public. I am sure you can buy a F-4U plus one for parts, but you will need to restore it. (They are pretty hard on gas though, lol... It would be a great tax right off if you have too much money).

Bill

Navy Chief
February 24th, 2010, 06:35
I have wanted so MUCH to be able to buy an ejection seat from that place, but as I understand it, it's not possible. Have always thought of having a complete A-7 cockpit as a simulator. That would be so, so cool.

Emil Frand
February 24th, 2010, 08:54
google earth it, you can see lots. Theres a site with a data base also, I remember the buno number of the a7 I was plane captain for and its at the boneyard. Chief I was thinking the same exact thing about the cockpit, that would be too cool sittin in the living room!
heres their site:
http://www.amarcexperience.com/AMARCDB.asp?SessionId=445644602&SortOrder=undefined&Include=undefined&Code=&Type=1&Value=157552

Panther_99FS
February 24th, 2010, 10:30
Is that how long it took to park them?

Yep & you should see how much we made in tips too ;)

OBIO
February 24th, 2010, 12:07
The Bone Yard would be one really cool scenery to have for FS...though it would be one major frame rate killer. I wonder if a person could take the satellite images and turn them into ground texture...so you could fly over the area and see the planes below you. That would be a doable option I would think.

The Pima Air Museum's Bobcat/Bamboo Bomber will soon be flyable. I did that plane up as part of the restoration/upgrde of the freeware Alphasim Bobcat package. Will begin uploading in a day or two. There will be 4 or 5 packages in the initial release with more to come.

OBIO

Henry
February 24th, 2010, 12:29
I have wanted so MUCH to be able to buy an ejection seat from that place, but as I understand it, it's not possible. Have always thought of having a complete A-7 cockpit as a simulator. That would be so, so cool.
but if i had an ejector seat i would have to have a very high ceiling
and a harder helmet:icon_lol:
H

paiken
February 24th, 2010, 12:29
The Bone Yard would be one really cool scenery to have for FS...though it would be one major frame rate killer. I wonder if a person could take the satellite images and turn them into ground texture...so you could fly over the area and see the planes below you. That would be a doable option I would think.

The Pima Air Museum's Bobcat/Bamboo Bomber will soon be flyable. I did that plane up as part of the restoration/upgrde of the freeware Alphasim Bobcat package. Will begin uploading in a day or two. There will be 4 or 5 packages in the initial release with more to come.

OBIO
Look on Kevin Burns' web site.
http://www.kb-sim.com/downloads.html
Lot's of great scenery here for FS9 & FSX. No autogen planes at AMARC, but you can see 'em all when you're up in the air.