PDA

View Full Version : attachments

Ickie
February 22nd, 2010, 01:28
We have worked for 24 hours and cannot get the attachments to work, all 25,000 of them, we moved them in binary, added them to the data base, you name it we did it but they still refuse to work.

I am at witts end and plan on doing a DUMP and starting over, this cannot be reversed, once flushed they are gone.

What do you think?

I am not spending another day on this, attachments have always been a pain moving and getting to work again, remember the last time it took weeks to get them to work, I do not have enough hair to waste on this.

dvslats
February 22nd, 2010, 01:48
Hi Ickie,
IMHO most attachments are like yesterdays newspaper. If there are important ones, those can be added again. Most of us have the important ones saved. So not porting these over is no big deal. :mixedsmi:

Dump "em. :pop4:

Dave

Wild Bill Kelso
February 22nd, 2010, 02:00
Looks like this would be the price to pay for the server migration, besides more grey hair and sleepless nights, as far as you're concerned...

This of course would be quite a huge loss, but if there's no other solution, we'll have to bite the bullet, or - like a german saying goes - we'll have to swallow the toad. (You might want to choose the less painful variant).

Snuffy
February 22nd, 2010, 03:08
Start from zero! If there is a post with an attachment that someone wants to see then let that guy ask the poster to re-attach it to the new forums.

wombat666
February 22nd, 2010, 03:14
Makes perfect sense Ron.
I was trying to clear my files up anyway.
:ernae:

Ickie
February 22nd, 2010, 03:26
testing

stiz
February 22nd, 2010, 03:38
i say just nuke em, if there important they'll be re uploaded by somebody :engel016:

Terry
February 22nd, 2010, 04:03
Clean them out and start fresh. :salute:

exc141ac
February 22nd, 2010, 04:03
Well, the new forum is up.
If someone else wants to take their time (read: life) to . . . .

I feel it is a job well done as is.
You deserve a big round from us all.
There comes a time to say -- enough.

Terry
February 22nd, 2010, 04:09
Don't know if this a clue or not, but yesterday I could not upload an avatar photo either. It said the photo was a invalid file. Today it works with the same photo, so you fixed part of the problem.

Smashing Time
February 22nd, 2010, 04:58
Two questions:
I can understand about old files but if you can't attach new files how will dumping solve anything?

What about the addon library, will that work?
:kilroy:

Thoe6969
February 22nd, 2010, 05:02
Don't know if this a clue or not, but yesterday I could not upload an avatar photo either. It said the photo was a invalid file. Today it works with the same photo, so you fixed part of the problem. I tried to upload one today and it says invalid file,and none of the generic will load either.

Ickie
February 22nd, 2010, 05:05
i am re-thinking this, but we may have reach a limit to how many GB's the data base can hold

its a nice day in paradice so I am taking the day off

Terry
February 22nd, 2010, 05:33
I dumped all the photos I have uploaded over time. Perhaps if everyone did the same it would help relieve the space problem.

GT182
February 22nd, 2010, 05:59
Start anew with attachments Ron, we'll survive just fine. My 2cents only.

Have a great day off.

Henry
February 22nd, 2010, 06:22
start affresh is my opinion also
hey what good is it if we cannot upload new ones
i know you have been trying
sometimes just quit banging your head against a wall:icon_lol:
we will survive
just my 2 cents also
H

KellyB
February 22nd, 2010, 06:29
I had earlier reported a busted link to one of HouseHobbit's missons.

You can dump that along with all the other stuff.

I quite agree with all; clean start. Trying to fix will only drive you unnecessarily mad.

Wing_Z
February 22nd, 2010, 10:35
Well, here I go again...
While most posts are shoot-from-the-hip, often there are threads which have a little reference value.
It would be nice to be able to find them again - I see the posts database has started anew with the new board, don't know if it's possible to resurrect the links from the previous one?
And of course keep the attachments.
There, it's said...so if you do succeed, there is someone who would appreciate it!

Henry
February 22nd, 2010, 10:41
Well, here I go again...
While most posts are shoot-from-the-hip, often there are threads which have a little reference value.
It would be nice to be able to find them again - I see the posts database has started anew with the new board, don't know if it's possible to resurrect the links from the previous one?
And of course keep the attachments.
There, it's said...so if you do succeed, there is someone who would appreciate it!
the previous ones?
the post database is the same
its just attachments
H

TARPSBird
February 22nd, 2010, 10:49
I say go ahead and dump the attachments and start fresh since the forums have come back up. I deleted all of mine this AM. I'm still trying to figure out how to upload an attachment in this new format. :banghead:

lefty
February 22nd, 2010, 10:55
The old fogeys of the Hysterical Wings Forum were rather proud of our long-running thread with its attachments, but I knew it was doomed as soon as 'progress' was mooted.

Shame - will miss lots of things like Ferry's superb airshow pics.

The possible database limit sounds a bit ominous - I hope we're not sacrificing a valuable reference tool for a (very) few online flyers........

Willy
February 22nd, 2010, 11:30
I've deleted mine. Didn't realize that I had that many.

Henry
February 22nd, 2010, 12:25
The possible database limit sounds a bit ominous - I hope we're not sacrificing a valuable reference tool for a (very) few online flyers........
different servers
and different sites
its a glitch
H

OBIO
February 22nd, 2010, 12:34
I deleted all of my attachments....shows you what I think...dump em all! Off wid dey hedz!!!

OBIO

middle
February 22nd, 2010, 12:42
Mine are all gone, too!!!:pop4:

Wing_Z
February 22nd, 2010, 13:36
the previous ones?
the post database is the same
its just attachments
H
Well maybe I still have to figure out how...but try finding a thread you started, on the old SOH?
And, as to dumping all your attachments, sure if that's what it takes - but wasn't this going to be an UPgrade?
Luckily there's no pressure on any of this, the forum operates and everyone feels at home again! ;)

harleyman
February 22nd, 2010, 15:53
I am for killing them..who knows,they might have herpes or crabs anyways ....

Henry
February 22nd, 2010, 16:30
Well maybe I still have to figure out how...but try finding a thread you started, on the old SOH?
And, as to dumping all your attachments, sure if that's what it takes - but wasn't this going to be an UPgrade?
Luckily there's no pressure on any of this, the forum operates and everyone feels at home again! ;)
im still confused at the old soh
the last soh when we lost everything was 2004
what are you looking for
H:isadizzy:

Ken Stallings
February 22nd, 2010, 17:05
Ron,

My call is that it's your call. And, for fully valid reasons, I think your call is to start over.

And, to help that effort, I just deleted all my attachments.

Cheers,

Ken

Ferry_vO
February 23rd, 2010, 02:27
The old fogeys of the Hysterical Wings Forum were rather proud of our long-running thread with its attachments, but I knew it was doomed as soon as 'progress' was mooted.

Shame - will miss lots of things like Ferry's superb airshow pics.

Lefty, I use photobucket for my photos, and not the attachment option of the SOH. :)

As for the Mystery aircraft thread, I saved all of those photos to my disk. ;)

Ickie
February 23rd, 2010, 02:46
A picture or screen shot is a brief moment in time, I live for today not yesterday.
If your attachments are so important why are they here and not on your wall in a wooden frame, or on your desk with captions and arrows and on the back a decryption of what each picture is. This is not Alice's restaurant.

Everytime we get a new server the code changes, than I am stuck trying to figure it out and reading thousands of pages in a manual, this changes because of security reasons and no-one is willing to help, you are on your own to figure it out. I am real close to cracking the attachment code.

Everytime we move or whatever I am always stuck dealing with pictures/attachments. The major problem is the chmod/permissions changes on them and on each folder, this means I have to FTP into the main folder and mamually change each and every one of them along with eash folder, about 1/2 million of them, I am almost 60 and there is not enough time in my life to waste it on your attachments.

I will put in-charge wing_z to do this task, he thinks this is so easy, a caveman could do it.

Wing_Z you the man, ............................. are you done yet........................ are you done yet

leroy10
February 23rd, 2010, 04:01
Hi All,

To my knowledge there's no size limit on the database side of MySQL although there's an OS file size limit which could impact on things.

Operating System File-size Limit
Win32 w/ FAT/FAT32 2GB/4GB
Win32 w/ NTFS 2TB (possibly larger)
Linux 2.2-Intel 32-bit 2GB (LFS: 4GB)
Linux 2.4+ (using ext3 file system) 4TB
Solaris 9/10 16TB
MacOS X w/ HFS+ 2TB
NetWare w/NSS file system 8TB

From what Ickie's describing it's more so a permissions related issue anyway which can be a real pain in the rear. Easier just to flush it and start again buddy.

Cheers :ernae:
Lindsay

Wild Bill Kelso
February 23rd, 2010, 04:22
... I use photobucket for my photos...

Same here.
Positive side effect: I can use their URL on other forums as well.

btw: Neither calclassic, nor nzff or cbfsim offer a "file attachment" option.
Now I know why...

wombat666
February 23rd, 2010, 05:38
I will put in-charge wing_z to do this task, he thinks this is so easy, a caveman could do it.
Wing_Z you the man, ............................. are you done yet........................ are you done yet

:173go1:
Just flush them Ron.

Ickie
February 23rd, 2010, 06:03
testing

gigabyte
February 23rd, 2010, 06:06
Ron, while I agree for the most part there is likely little of huge importance in the attachments overall, there may be a small select number that are worth some effort. What I am thinking about are the FSX Tweaks, and FSX Tips etc, and a few other select support type threads that had attachments with good instructions for users. I am not sure how easy it would be to isolate the attachments for just a couple of threads, but those would be the only attachments I could think that might be worth saving.

Having said that, I am not suggesting you expend effort on saving them, but if you and others agree there are some that should be saved those are the attachments I think need to be considered. Now rather than just suggest more work for anyone else, I would be willing to assist if I can (I am no expert on PHP or the Forum code, but I am a quick study). I should be in town for the next two weeks anyway so push my buttons if I can help with anything at all.

Ickie
February 23rd, 2010, 06:53
testing testing

Ickie
February 23rd, 2010, 11:52
attachments are gone but fixed for posting

Henry
February 23rd, 2010, 12:05
Thanks
H:applause:

Lewis-A2A
February 23rd, 2010, 12:08
To be honest why people dont use photobucket is beyond me.

Its easy to sign up, its free, you get a ton of space, a million options for album sharing/security and at the end of the day its as easy as copy/paste to multiple forums, BISH BASH BOSH!.

...and unlike imageshack you dont get adverts everywere and nasty options that force viewers to the slow imageshack site.:mixedsmi:

Henry
February 23rd, 2010, 12:13

Its easy to sign up, its free, you get a ton of space, a million options for album sharing/security and at the end of the day its as easy as copy/paste to multiple forums, BISH BASH BOSH!.

...and unlike imageshack you dont get adverts everywere and nasty options that force viewers to the slow imageshack site.:mixedsmi:
i do myself
but some people do not like to see large pictures
it slows down loading times
hence the thumbnail
if you want to see it big just click on it
i have personally used photobucket for years
its free and i have never had a problem
and never lost a picture
i store all important pics there
even avitars and such
H

Snuffy
February 23rd, 2010, 12:18
testing testing

EEEEKKK!!!!

LOL!

Looks good Ron! Thanks!

Snuffy
February 23rd, 2010, 12:20

I don't like to use it cuz anyone with half a brain can copy and paste the picture link to their address bar and then back space to your page and view everything you have posted there whether you want them to see it or not.

Ferry_vO
February 23rd, 2010, 12:32
If you want you can lock access to Photobucket, something I usually do during beta tests.

:)

cheezyflier
February 23rd, 2010, 13:25
I don't like to use it cuz anyone with half a brain can copy and paste the picture link to their address bar and then back space to your page and view everything you have posted there whether you want them to see it or not.

i can't imagine expecting privacy from a web based photo storage locker. the things i want no-one to see, i keep to myself. aside from that, if someone wants to peruse my photobucket pages, they are welcome to spend all the time they like there. http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/?start=all
http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/sonofgumby/?start=all

Wing_Z
February 23rd, 2010, 13:31
We have worked for 24 hours and cannot get the attachments to work, all 25,000 of them...I am at witts end and plan on doing a DUMP and starting over, this cannot be reversed, once flushed they are gone.
What do you think?

...Everytime we move or whatever I am always stuck dealing with pictures/attachments...about 1/2 million of them, I am almost 60 and there is not enough time in my life to waste it on your attachments.

Well...you did ask, sorry some of the replies weren't what you may have required.
But you know, it's just a forum, it's not all that important.

Deckard
February 23rd, 2010, 14:10
i can't imagine expecting privacy from a web based photo storage locker. the things i want no-one to see, i keep to myself. aside from that, if someone wants to peruse my photobucket pages, they are welcome to spend all the time they like there. http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/?start=all
http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/sonofgumby/?start=all

Interesting photos :) Shame on me, in your second link, I couldn't identify this huge twin-engined jet indoors, with Canadian markings. It looks like a jet from the 60s/70s, what is it?

demorier
February 23rd, 2010, 15:54
The new attachments seem to be working ok for me again now Ickie.

GT182
February 23rd, 2010, 16:20
Lefty, I use photobucket for my photos, and not the attachment option of the SOH. :)

Any photos linked to SOH from a photo storage site like PhotoBucket will still show. Only the attachments uploaded from a computer will be gone.

Panther_99FS
February 23rd, 2010, 16:32
Ickie,
Sometimes a fresh start is best - who cares about the attachments....

Tks for the hard work on this....:guinness:

cheezyflier
February 23rd, 2010, 16:55
Interesting photos :) Shame on me, in your second link, I couldn't identify this huge twin-engined jet indoors, with Canadian markings. It looks like a jet from the 60s/70s, what is it?

that's the avro aero. canada's cool airplane that almost was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Aero

Deckard
February 24th, 2010, 02:32
that's the avro aero. canada's cool airplane that almost was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Aero

Thanks cheezyflier :) Actually it was in the 50s, first flight in 1958, very impressive! When I saw your photos, it reminded me of the BAC TSR-2, although I knew it was not this one. Then I saw that the Arrow and the TSR-2 had had very similar stories: very big, advanced and high-performance planes, which were eventually cancelled for similar reasons.