PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympics

demorier
February 20th, 2010, 18:04
How come the snowboarders look like they have been kitted out by street people. They always look like there pants are falling down.:wiggle:

Bjoern
February 20th, 2010, 18:22
That's cause snowboarding is apparently...cool?

My country is doing not too shabbily.

cheezyflier
February 20th, 2010, 18:24
How come the snowboarders look like they have been kitted out by street people. They always look like there pants are falling down.:wiggle:

sorry, i couldn't resist using this image

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/3129307969_dcd291490d.jpg

Ken Stallings
February 20th, 2010, 18:29
I think they are supposed to be arctic pants. But clearly it's a style thing coming from the X-games generation thingie!

Ken

hey_moe
February 21st, 2010, 04:52
I can deal with the baggie pants, but I have a hard time wondering why this generation of kids needs to walk around with their pants pulled down below their buttocks.

Terry
February 21st, 2010, 05:01
I can deal with the baggie pants, but I have a hard time wondering why this generation of kids needs to walk around with their pants pulled down below their buttocks.

I think they are the equivalent of the 50's guys that had creased jeans with a small cuff and smokes wrapped in the sleeves of their t-shirts. But the 50's guys looked a lot neater.

Cazzie
February 21st, 2010, 05:51
Looks stupid to me and Gen. Larry "Pants On The Ground" Platt, but it's the fad look around snowboarders and skateboarders. These events were just added to Olympics to draw in the young radical crowd. I treat them like figure skating, I just do not watch them. because I am amiss at any competitive event that has to be judged, either you nail it or you don't. Same with ski jumping, the Hell with technique, either you are the furthest down the hill or not. That's just my way, I like sports without subjective judging, you are either the furthest, fastest, or most adroit to win, second place is just the first loser.

Caz

cheezyflier
February 21st, 2010, 06:53
i must admit, much of what you said makes sense to me.

tigisfat
February 21st, 2010, 10:33
Here's the reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwhl4IrPNc&feature=related

Henry
February 21st, 2010, 12:46
i have been wondering that myself
i would have thought a speed suit would be better
they are excellent to watch though
i did think that they needed to be in loose fitting clothes
just to be flexible
but thats just a thought
H

CG_1976
February 21st, 2010, 12:47
If they were to use Arctic pants the poor snowboarder wouldnt be able to move like they due. They use the Lowland mountain pants, which are baggy allowing for layering. In the Arctic layers are included in our outdoor attire.

harleyman
February 21st, 2010, 14:43
I liked seeing the snowboarders.....

Their attire does not concern me.
What appeals to me is their team spirit, and the fact that they are so close with their competiors too!

Nothing better in any game than to see your rival applaud you respectfully if beaten...Not thats what its all about. The abality to cheer on the best of the best, even when it means you lost... And remain friends....

I say a good example given to all, and frick the cloths....

jmig
February 22nd, 2010, 03:58
I am with you Harley! They are impressive to watch. I too, like their attitudes and spirits.

Snuffy
February 22nd, 2010, 04:25
Sorry, I'm still of the school that "the clothes make the man/or woman". And in this case anyone who wants to emulate a prison fellon by wearing the "I'm someone's b*tch" style, it doesn't say much for that person's character in my book.

Self respect and pride come from taking care of one's self ... and that "fad"/"style" does not impress me one bit, but speaks volumns about the possible ignorance of the wearer.

I suppose its probably the "fashion style" that has turned me off to snowboarders. Anytime a guy has to walk down the street and use one hand to hold his pants up while he walks, obviously has a problem.

:icon34: :icon34: :icon34:

lifejogger
February 22nd, 2010, 04:39

And not a very pretty sight either.

lefty
February 22nd, 2010, 09:47
Well at least our curlers are properly turned out - not that it is helping their game. Pretty average.

What hasn't helped either, it has to be said, is the unsporting attitude of the mostly Canadian crowd, who create as much noise as possible when any other team is playing, then lapse into a respectful hush when their own heroes are throwing. Thought they were better than that. I'm glad the US beat them in the hockey :jump:

MaddogK
February 22nd, 2010, 10:13
If they were to use Arctic pants the poor snowboarder wouldnt be able to move like they due. They use the Lowland mountain pants, which are baggy allowing for layering. In the Arctic layers are included in our outdoor attire.

Perhaps the form-fitting spandex the skiers wear would be more appropriate ?

...The Flying Tomato in spandex- what a sight (one that I can live without)

:isadizzy:

Brian_Gladden
February 22nd, 2010, 13:39
I'm kinda on the fence here... Since I know the guy who basically invented the sport of snowboarding (Jake Burton Carpenter) and he's a major sponsor of the US Olympic Snowboard team (Burton Boards) Some of it is the marketing from the suppliers.

The rest comes from the Skateboard/Snowboard/surfer/ semi-hippy "Identity" those in the sport adopt.

On the other hand, I think outside of the boarding, it looks stupid.

Jake's kids dress like that. The guy is worth over a 100 million and his two teenaged boys dress like the rest of the boarding crowd.

Jake is usually in Jeans and a t-shirt and his wife dresses like any suburban housewife.

In case you were wondering, I used to clean Jake's Citation Encore...

Brian

harleyman
February 22nd, 2010, 15:47
Sorry, I'm still of the school that "the clothes make the man/or woman". And in this case anyone who wants to emulate a prison fellon by wearing the "I'm someone's b*tch" style, it doesn't say much for that person's character in my book.

Self respect and pride come from taking care of one's self ... and that "fad"/"style" does not impress me one bit, but speaks volumns about the possible ignorance of the wearer.

I suppose its probably the "fashion style" that has turned me off to snowboarders. Anytime a guy has to walk down the street and use one hand to hold his pants up while he walks, obviously has a problem.

:icon34: :icon34: :icon34:

Well I agree with that completely..

But weren't we speaking only of their boarding clothes here? While they compete?

If they come into my shop with their pants hung low, i make them pull them up or leave....TRUE !

And cloths do speak volums about a person..But so does not prejudging one and allowing them the opporunity to prove their worth, as its stated in the bible. Just a thought....

djscoo
February 22nd, 2010, 16:22

[/URL]That's a myth started by old folks to embarrass kids...Kinda like telling your kid their eyes will get stuck if they don't uncross them.

[URL="http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp"]Read more here. (http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp)

Ken Stallings
February 22nd, 2010, 17:12
I was going to say this initially but since it didn't fit the question I opted against.

However, I also am very positively impressed by the genuine sportsmanship that exists with the snowboarders. I love their positive, have fun, attitude. Sports are supposed to be fun, and frankly these men and women fill the spirit of true amateur competition a lot better than the other athletes.

However, I must say that across the board I think the attitudes of the athletes have been very good during these particular games. Perhaps the noted friendliness of the Canadian people has affected the athletes!

Then again, there wasn't too much friendliness in yesterday's USA versus Canada men's hockey game! That was a doneybrook -- at least until they lined up to shake hands! :icon29:

Ken

EasyEd
February 22nd, 2010, 17:49
Hey All,

I'm with Ken here - the snowboarders, freestyle skiers, moguls skiers, acrobatic skiers - really have the spirit that is what the Olympics should be about. Clothes don't make the man/woman - my kids have taught me that - besides isn't Tiger Woods well dressed?

-Ed-

harleyman
February 22nd, 2010, 20:49
Hey All,

Clothes don't make the man/woman - my kids have taught me that - besides isn't Tiger Woods well dressed?

-Ed-

LOl EasyEd.......Well said.....:applause::applause: