PDA

View Full Version : DirectX February update available

Fnerg
February 12th, 2010, 07:29
I was curious. Would I ever need to update my DirectX from version 9.0c? What would be the benefits for flightsimming? Is there a need to continually upgrade to the next version. Apparently there is an update yearly for DirectX. They're at version 11 now, so I missed out on 10 completely. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/13073-directx-february-update-released/

brad kaste
February 12th, 2010, 08:26
Good question Fnerg. I've thought the same thing......

ian elliot
February 12th, 2010, 08:37
Ive always a bit nervous about updating DX, im on 9 and it suits me fine as i can run both FS9 and CFS2 plus a few other sims like Strike fighters with no problems, i guess its abit like graphics drivers, alot of my favorite programs are now a few years old and i need to go back abit to keep things running fine.
cheers ian

Dangerousdave26
February 12th, 2010, 09:02
DX10 was a Vista only invention not to be used with older hardware or on XP.

It had a lot of drawbacks. It had parts of DX9 completely removed so it was incapable of running some older software that depended on having DX9 installed. In other cases the game might run fine but Multiplayer was missing because those parts were removed.

DX10 could only be used on DX10 compatible hardware.

DX11 was an attempt to fix the short comings of DX10 buy making it compatible with some DX9 functions and hardware. It also expanded on some of the things DX10 did well.

My Win7 RC version has DX11 installed and it has had no problems running FS9 and FSX from a DX standpoint.

Z-claudius24
February 12th, 2010, 10:57
Hi,

Is there a need to continually upgrade to the next versionNot really .. at least for FS2004
FS2004 was released with the minimum requirements as :

2000/XP – 128 MB Ram
98/Me – 64 MB Ram
Processor:450 MHz minimum
Available hard drive space:1.8 GB
Video card: 8 MB/3D with DirectX 7.0 or later drivers

So the update of DirectX 9.0c is instead a concern about the requirements of your graphic card.
Anyways .. if your actual DirectX 9 comply with your graphic card it's not really necessary to upgrade ... but if you upgrade it's nothing dangerous.
I can't see why you will have a improvement in FS2004...
All the DirectX versions are always compatibles with the former versions .. unless limitations as noted in a above post.
Advice is to NEVER downgrade a DirectX version.