PDA

View Full Version : Perfection Isn't Good Enough?

Fleet Canuck
February 9th, 2010, 21:44
I'm the proud owner of the Commander 115TC and Piper Navajo by FSD International, and should be content with such excellent quality aircraft. And I am, but...

The propellers on these aircraft are all but invisible when spinning. Of course, adjusting the pitch gives some sense of movement, but it's still very faint. Using DXTBMP I tried putting a bright yellow ring on the perimeter of the texture file that showed a spinning prop. No difference.

So, is this an impossibility? Is it related to the model. or can I continue tinkering with texture files to make it more visible? Alpha channel?

I write this realizing you probably get this kind of question on a regular basis. Sorry. I tried looking back at past posts, but didn't see anything like this. Or, maybe most people are better informed and don't ask such ignorant questions...

OBIO
February 9th, 2010, 22:14
Yep...us dumb people keep our ignorance a secret LOL!

You can adjust the visibility of the prop blur by lightening the alpha channel in the prop blur texture. Make sure you make a back up copy of the original file before doing any mods....a lesson I learned early on in my skinning and tweaking days.

OBIO

Fleet Canuck
February 9th, 2010, 22:41
Thanks! Quick question, quick answer.

If only my erratic tracking of the traffic pattern and lousy landings could so easily be improved...

PilatusTurbo
February 10th, 2010, 07:12
To be honest, I love a good and distinctly easy to see prop texture. However, unless from the front with the tip markings, the propellers in real life are near invisible.

I always loved the FFS Vans RV-7 prop disks for a good twin blade GA prop; best tip markings and spinning appearance I ever did see. :d :ernae:

TARPSBird
February 10th, 2010, 11:01
As for the yellow prop tip circle not being visible when the prop is spinning, that may be due to the prop texture circle being a larger diameter than the plane's prop diameter. Back up your original texture, then make the yellow circle a smaller diameter than what you originally attempted. I recently re-worked the default US prop texture in CFS2 to show the 1942 three-color prop tips when spinning, and I had to do a lot of tweaking with the color circles.

Fleet Canuck
February 10th, 2010, 22:59
Well, it was simple enough, and I got the Navajo, Commander and even the default Baron props visible. Yes, I thought it was likely the props would be less visible in reality, but I still like to see them. I thought Bill Lyons had interesting prop animation on the TriPacer. A little glint of reflected sunlight on the prop.

It's great to have this kind of support.

cheezyflier
February 11th, 2010, 06:46
this is the kind of thing that shows banana bob as a true master. if a plane doesn't use one of his props, it doesn't look right to my eyes. i'm ruined to all other prop discs now :icon_lol:

Lionheart
February 11th, 2010, 09:09
Same here....

Cheers Bob! Awesome props...

:icon29:

Fleet Canuck
February 11th, 2010, 13:50
Banana Bob?

Fleet Canuck
February 12th, 2010, 19:49
Aha! Bob Rivera! Found his stuff on flightsim. Looks like I've got some experimentation ahead of me. One more reason to keep in touch with these forums.