PDA

View Full Version : Help.....Again

dudleyz48
February 9th, 2010, 19:59
Went to play CFS2 tonight but my external drive went belly up. Thought I might install game on main drive..but when install screen comes up and I hit "install", I get a message " sorry for any inconvenience..send report to MS..etc". Running XP Professional on a Dell Dimension 2350. Any ideas on why game won't install from original disks now, when just a few months ago it did so just fine:confused:...

tonybones2112
February 9th, 2010, 21:58
Dudley, this may not be the cure but I've had similar problems with Windows Trainwreck 5(XP Pro SP2), and my problems alway center around the registry. You're having difficulty with a Micro$oft sim on a M$ operating system and sounds as if it's saying to you, sorry, this prograam is already installed somewhere else. I run PC Tools Registry Mechanic and Glary Utilities registry cleaners, one gets what the othermisses and that usually clears up the problem.

BTW, what brand of external drive pooped out on you? I did a flea market trade for an IOMEGA 250 gig external. I do most of my external backups through the SABRENT HHD adapter that allows you to plug any HDD into your computer and use it as an external drive.

Bones

dudleyz48
February 10th, 2010, 06:17
tonybones2112..........

It was a 140G Acomdata. Got it at a local Fry's. Can't complain though, it was about 3 or 4 years old. Just wanted to load CFS2 on main drive so's I could play it until I could get the coins for another HD. Had all my planes,sceneries, etc. on it when it crashed. Dummy me, I thought the external would outlive the main, 'cause the main is about 8 years old. Oh well, I'll try what you suggested and see if it helps.......cheers

Dirtman
February 10th, 2010, 06:37
Yo dudleyz48

On your Start Menu; is the link to CFS2 still there? (under Microsoft Games)

If so, then WinXP probably thinks that it's still installed.

Recommend you check: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games to be sure there is no "Combat Flight Simulator 2" folder.

I've tested the Glary Registry cleaner in the past but DO NOT recommend it. I've seen it have too many problems. I would rec. Eusing Free Registry Cleaner 2.6

Find it here: & d/l from "download site 1"

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

Install it & configure as in the pic below:

This will automatically create a restore point (each time you run it) that can be used to return the registry to it's previous configuration in the event of an additional problem.

Run the reg cleaner. If your PC is a few years old then you may see 500+ problems ... don't sweat ... this is completely normal. - I've seen 3 PC's with over 1000!

Hit the "Repair Regisry" button.

Once complete; recheck the START MENU ... all references to CFS2 should be gone.

Try reloading CFS2 now .... you should be fine.

- also your PC should boot significantly faster & run MUCH smoother.

Let us know how you make out.

Dirtman
February 10th, 2010, 07:16
Mr Bones:

but I've had similar problems with Windows Trainwreck 5 (XP Pro SP2),

Dear Sir:

Statements like this clearly show your lack of computer knowledge and limited ability. XP is the most stable and popular o/s in the history of personal PC's. The truth is that YOU have problems with it, there is little wrong with XP otherwise.

If you don't like Windows then why not switch to Mac or Linux?

Badmouthing an excellent product merely indicated your high level of incompetence in using it.

BTW: WinXP SP3 has been out for more than a couple of years now ... I guess you missed that rather large program update eh? Think it might be part of your problems too?

I did a flea market trade for an IOMEGA 250 gig external. I do most of my external backups through the SABRENT HHD adapter that allows you to plug any HDD into your computer and use it as an external drive.

Yet another brilliant move Sir. So now you are going to backup all your irreplaceable data on a used hard drive that you got at a flea market?

I bet that when it craps out ... you'll blame that on XP too.
- I wonder how many bad sectors it has?
- I wonder if you have bothered to check or even if you know how to.

I mean no disrespect to you personally Sir - just to your computer abilities and hardware choices.
I take great offense at people who blame something else for their problems while refusing to acknowledge their own personal failures and lack of ability.

Read some books, watch some videos, enlist the help of a friend... and LEARN.
It will be some of the best time you have ever spent.

There is an old saying: "It is a very poor artist who blames his brushes for his inability to paint"

Sincerely;
Dirtman

mariereid
February 10th, 2010, 08:11
Dirty knows what he is talking about. I think he can run cfs2 on a boom box! Listen and learn fellas, I know you are much more advanced than I, but if you want to know how to make a computer purr, Dirty is the man.:salute:

Dirtman
February 10th, 2010, 09:15
Thanks for the vote of confidence Rick but I'm really not the whiz you think I am. There is still a mountain of things I don't know about or fully understand, but I am learning new things every day. This forum has many members that dwarf my meager abilities.

When I joined this forum over 4 years ago, I knew nothing about computers. Though the help & knowledge gained from all the terrific members here I have managed to amass a fairly good working understanding of not only CFS2, but programs and PC general operation.

I also consider myself extremely fortunate to have made some close personal friends in here. They too have helped greatly when I needed it most. Most of this occurred while yakking with the Bro's on Skype.

I have also made some HUGE mistakes. But have learned from them and now have become better because of them; but I've never blamed my PC or o/s for my mistakes. PC's can be a real pain in the a$$ sometimes. Frustration usually grows due to lack of understanding. I freely admit that several times I have almost chucked the monitor right out the freakin' window. Diligence does pay off sooner or later; and the pride and satisfaction gained from solving a seemingly difficult problem is immense.

Rick believe it or not I was once just like you (only better looking - LOL) It only takes time and I'm sure you'll someday know more than me. Right now you're on the steepest part of the learning curve, as your understanding and experience increases it will soon begin to level out. The only difference between us is that I've "bin there & dun that" so I usually understand what has happened when you have a problem.

Bruther Durt

BTW: Get yer skinny, long-haired & tattooed butt back on Skype .... you've still got a bunch of basic CFS2 stuff to learn and I ain't gonna keep on writing essays to ya.... :icon_lol:

Talon
February 10th, 2010, 09:29
Yes we have to get mariereid on skype and in class.What Tutors we have.LOL.

We will turn him to the Dirty side.:icon_lol:

Mariereid you should join us ( Dirtman,Rami,Shadow wolf and ect. ).You could learn alot.

Talon

mariereid
February 10th, 2010, 09:45
Dirty, I am in negotiations right now. OK, I am cleaning the house. Hope to be back on skype soon. Is there a tutorial for "how to enjoy CFS2 AND your marriage":ernae:?

When I get back fellas, don't forget to dumb it down a bit for me. Way down!

Shadow Wolf 07
February 10th, 2010, 09:47
Yes we have to get mariereid on skype and in class.What Tutors we have.LOL.

We will turn him to the Dirty side.:icon_lol:

Mariereid you should join us ( Dirtman,Rami,Shadow wolf and ect. ).You could learn alot.

Talon

Yes indeed, get your "self" there asap! :salute:

Dirtman
February 10th, 2010, 10:11
Is there a tutorial for "how to enjoy CFS2 AND your marriage"

Sorry Bro ... can't really help ya here ... I'm very happily divorced from the former "Mrs Dirtman" aka "The Ice Princess"

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

dudleyz48
February 10th, 2010, 13:00
Mr. Dirtman.................

Tried what you suggested and :pop4: it worked. You are indeed a miracle worker and I bow in your presence :applause:. Thank you so much sir..............

Dirtman
February 10th, 2010, 13:24
Thanks; but not really,
Mr Bones originally caught the problem but didn't go into as much detail as I did.

I think it's better if you understand why this has happened. (hence the details) The more you understand - the easier it is to figure out what is wrong in the future.

You had trouble because even though the sim was gone ... all the registry data still remained so XP thought CFS2 was still installed.

WinXP just got confused. :isadizzy:

Glad ya got the sim back in Bro. :applause: :applause: :applause:

bearcat241
February 10th, 2010, 20:08
...Is there a tutorial for "how to enjoy CFS2 AND your marriage"

Yup...its actually been around for a number of centuries now, but recently updated to include CFS2. Its titled "WEAR THE PANTS AND BE HAPPY" . Some old guy authored it way back before dirt i assume, but every now and again somebody goes in and updates it for current times... it works for me :icon_lol:.

The recently added chapter on CFS2 states that any MAN who faithfully supports and provides for his household should be EXPECTED to partake of the fruits of his labor in whatever benign pastime pleasure he chooses. If the wife agrees and supports this, well and good. If not, buy her a knitting kit, pacifier or whatnot and get back to your pleasure.

tonybones2112
February 12th, 2010, 00:46
tonybones2112..........

It was a 140G Acomdata. Got it at a local Fry's. Can't complain though, it was about 3 or 4 years old. Just wanted to load CFS2 on main drive so's I could play it until I could get the coins for another HD. Had all my planes,sceneries, etc. on it when it crashed. Dummy me, I thought the external would outlive the main, 'cause the main is about 8 years old. Oh well, I'll try what you suggested and see if it helps.......cheers

Before the shop went belly up we had a few Acomdatas come through that were almost totally fried. In my experience one of the biggest causes of USB device failure is if the device needs external power, if it has a jack, obtain the power supply to be safe. Some will work, others go on strike without a good powered external USB hub. There's no danger for your camera or flash drive, with some of the CD/DVD/HDDs I run into this computer through the Sabrent HDD Adapter I have to use a 1.5 amp power module.

My friend's shop went under and his rent was up before he could sell out everything, I pointed him to a very nice little flea market. I make American Indian artifacts that you might say are museum quality, I traded him a nice Sioux arrow for, among other things, a new in the box Iomega 250 gig. That should make the world right again for Dirtman. Iomega keeps trying to push off on me too much "refurbed" gear. Never buy refurb. That's an ancient Coptic word that means "wiped down with Windex and resold".

You have a good one and the best getting back up and flying.

Bones

tonybones2112
February 12th, 2010, 01:08
Mr Bones:

Dear Sir:

Statements like this clearly show your lack of computer knowledge and limited ability. XP is the most stable and popular o/s in the history of personal PC's. The truth is that YOU have problems with it, there is little wrong with XP otherwise.

If you don't like Windows then why not switch to Mac or Linux?

Badmouthing an excellent product merely indicated your high level of incompetence in using it.

BTW: WinXP SP3 has been out for more than a couple of years now ... I guess you missed that rather large program update eh? Think it might be part of your problems too?

Yet another brilliant move Sir. So now you are going to backup all your irreplaceable data on a used hard drive that you got at a flea market?

I bet that when it craps out ... you'll blame that on XP too.
- I wonder how many bad sectors it has?
- I wonder if you have bothered to check or even if you know how to.

I mean no disrespect to you personally Sir - just to your computer abilities and hardware choices.
I take great offense at people who blame something else for their problems while refusing to acknowledge their own personal failures and lack of ability.

Read some books, watch some videos, enlist the help of a friend... and LEARN.
It will be some of the best time you have ever spent.

There is an old saying: "It is a very poor artist who blames his brushes for his inability to paint"

Sincerely;
Dirtman

DM, I thought for four months now this was a flight sim forum, not a pep rally for Micro$oft shareholders.

My friend, none of what I'm about to recount is your fault. Not so long ago I made heads for people killed in auto accidents whose heads were destroyed, and reassembled little dead babies who had been thrown from cars into chain link fences by Mommy or Daddy. My wife is at death's door and at this moment I have the flu. Within that context your computing abilities don't count for the stones beneath my shoes with the attitude you display. The Powers That Be, some of them, must approve of your pompous arrogance in insulting people you know nothing about; I've noticed no discipliary action directed towards you. I am new to this forum and an outsider, had I spoken to you in the same manner you'd caught fire from the breeze of me being booted out of here.

There are people here who have been kind, generous, and helpful through this difficult time I've been here, out of respect to them I have nothing further to say to you.

Bones

mariereid
February 12th, 2010, 03:12
T Bone; Sorry to hear what's going on in your life, hang in there, bud. We all have different ways of expressing ourselves. Let's all of us remember that we are all friends here. This part of the site rarely has any problems, where somebody has to ask us to tone it down a bit, or close a thread. I really respect all of you here for your skills and what you have to offer the site. Peace, brothers.:salute:

Devildog73
February 12th, 2010, 03:50
Dirtman,
Let me start off by saying that I know and respect your abilities with computers and CFS2, as you should already know.

I have to agree with Tonybones on his assessment of your reply to him. I found it harsh and abusive. I had to relook to make sure it was you that authored it because I have never seen you reply to anyone in that manner before. In all the times I have either emailed, PM'd or forumed here with you, you have been pleasant and helpful, never demeaning like you were with Tonybones.

I was disappointed as I read your post a second time at how harsh the wording was. It was not what I have experienced from you, and certainly not what I have grown accustomed to in the basement here.

Lee

tonybones2112
February 12th, 2010, 15:11
T Bone; Sorry to hear what's going on in your life, hang in there, bud. We all have different ways of expressing ourselves. Let's all of us remember that we are all friends here. This part of the site rarely has any problems, where somebody has to ask us to tone it down a bit, or close a thread. I really respect all of you here for your skills and what you have to offer the site. Peace, brothers.:salute:

MR, I have no bones to pick with anyone, or hairs to split regarding the insignificant topic of computer operating systems. Computers were fun back in the 486 days, now they are another toaster/vacuum cleaner. We're all going to face trouble, my troubles are not your or anyone's else s fault, they go with the territory. However, given the truth of your description of the peaceful, non-confrontational atmosphere of this forum and the fact that for four months this forum has been an unexpected form of stress relief for me, I was a tad put off at the belligerent reaction I got.

The root of the problem here is that in any group association, especially one composed overwhelmingly of males, you can't have one person set themselves up as the resident, sole authority on a given category or topic. I'm by no means the world's authority on night fighters in WW2. I don;t look to anyone here as a Pope of Windows operating systems. If I were a malicious person and had prior knowledge of the sensitivity some have on the topic, I'd written Dudley a 10,000 word reply that John Dyvorak and Alan Turing would have understood, but not Dudley.

I have a little philosophy I live by that's illustrated by an incident from my wilder days: I was once a bouncer in a biker bar. One night we had a patron who was abusing the barmaids, he warned me there was no one faster than he with a switchblade. I applied an 11 ounce blackjack to his jaw, shattering it. I took the knife(and lifted his wallet) and told him as he was being carried out, There's Always A Faster Gun Than You. I kept the knife and blackjack(with his teeth marks still present) as a reminder of that philosophy.

Lets carry on and drop it, as I have.

Check six bro

Bones

mariereid
February 13th, 2010, 03:13
Sounds good to me. Like I said, I respect all you guys with skills on computers and CFS2. Let's just forget it and move on. T Bone, I hope all works out well for you and your family. Hang in there, my friend.:salute:

tonybones2112
February 13th, 2010, 05:29
Sounds good to me. Like I said, I respect all you guys with skills on computers and CFS2. Let's just forget it and move on. T Bone, I hope all works out well for you and your family. Hang in there, my friend.:salute:

Thank you MR, I hope things are well with you too. Let's continue, while the new server is being prepared, to just look with relish to what Bismark, TR, Sopwith, and the others have for us that's new. Those who can materially support this site need to answer the call,and we need to salute our creators of all add-ons. I don't know Dirtman's particular interest but he is a contributor of both his talents and time to flight simming and deserving of no less accolades that anyone else. Over the period I've been in the combat flight sim community I sense some great contentions that generaated more heat than light. Perhaps some good came from it, we need to move on and respect each other, let the other guy have his say, respect copyrights,and put ourselves in the other person's shoes.

I've lately been having a lot of fun with my Kinder, Gentler Beech Staggerwing Paul Clawson did for FS2000 since I found a very accurate panel for it. I don't know why Paul put four machine guns in the wings but I'm going to go have some Nates and Claudes for breakfast. Dogfighting is not my forte' but I can grease a Zero in that thing. I hope Crashwoody lets someone convert the freeware S/W at Flightsim.com to CFS2.

A great day to you, Dirtman, and everyone else.

Bonesimoto