PDA

View Full Version : OT: Just back from DC, what happened here?

Warrant
February 9th, 2010, 09:23
Hi people;

Just returned from Washington DC (after being snowed in and delayed), what did i miss on FSX and what happened here with the SOH forum?

rvn817j
February 9th, 2010, 09:41
SOH is being updated. See anything good in lovely (snowed in, under and around) Washington, DC. I spent lots of time over the weekend shoveling!

harleyman
February 9th, 2010, 14:47
Welcome home...How did you like our Nations Capitol??What did you get to see with all the snow????

Glad you are home safe..!

Warrant
February 9th, 2010, 15:17
Hi all,

I did not get too much chance to go around due to the weather. The first weekend i went to Arlington cemitary and to the Pentagon Mall. Otherwise i undertook a mission to Mount Vernon (George washingtons house) but had to abort due to snow. Tried to get to the Dulles airport Aerospace museum, but ......closed due to snow. So what was left was mall's and the basement of the hotel (except for some shopping @ Fort Belvoir). I'm also two "near death experiences" richer........;
1) Some brewery/bar/restaurant window blasted all over me in @ Tyson's Corner Mall while i was enjoiing food & beer. The thing blasted due to heat and cold friction i guess. That was spooky and for the moment i thought to be back @ Kandahar AB :rocket:
2) Some bloke almost rammed me to death @ the Richmond HWY (heading East/North) sliding in to me on the icy roads. I could barely escape his manouvres.

The rest of the trip@ DC was amusing, joyfull, and foremost....FUN!

Otherwise, i have to get used to this new place. I dont know yet if i like it (For now it is: NOPE :eek:)

Sure hope they (Icky/SOH red.) get the old site/environment restored to the original smooth hang-out place it was.

Edit: some comment to the images attached (Friday 5th till saturday 6th of Fabruari 2010):

See 3 stages of my rental car being snowed in during the DC snow storm,
4th image; the street sight somewhere round noon on a normally buzy saturday shopping street (Richmond Hwy, Mount Vernon, VA)

TeaSea
February 9th, 2010, 15:52
Well I'm sorry the weather didn't cooperate. Glad you got to Arlington though. When you asked a couple weeks back I was going to suggest it.

My dad is there, not too far from some of his buddies, and I go by and see him when I'm in D.C.

hey_moe
February 9th, 2010, 16:00
WOW ! Nice shots of the mess you had to deal with. It's to bad you didn't make it over to the Dulles mock up tower at that museum. They got it set up pretty col. On your left hand side the planes come at eye level. That airport was wide open the whole time we were in the tower.:wavey:

Ickie
February 9th, 2010, 16:03
next week we are moving this website to the new 2nd server, we figured we would upgrade the software first and secure our other new server at www.sim-outhouse.net first. we still have a lot to do this week but the hard work is finished.
In a couple of weeks the all new SIM-OUTHOUSE will be complete just in time for the new decade ahead.

Warrant
February 9th, 2010, 16:06
When in the area, i allways go to Arlington to pay my respects (as a veteran, i must!)

:holand::USA-flag:

Warrant
February 9th, 2010, 16:13
Well, weather did not work in our favor this time, but next attempt will be somewhere in April/May, in Springfield, Ohio. Heard ther is a big....BIG aerospace museum in vicinity there as well :jump:

Warrant
February 9th, 2010, 16:42
next week we are moving this website to the new 2nd server, we figured we would upgrade the software first and secure our other new server at www.sim-outhouse.net (http://www.sim-outhouse.net) first. we still have a lot to do this week but the hard work is finished.
In a couple of weeks the all new SIM-OUTHOUSE will be complete just in time for the new decade ahead.

Thanks for the great effort Ickie! Much appreciated :applause::applause::applause:

Warrant
February 9th, 2010, 17:12
And...oh yes! I watched SUPER BOWL in a basement with stuck train passengers who where planted @ our hotel just 1 hour prior start.
Now that was a emergency survival party experience with lots of :icon29::guinness::icon29: and Pizza (no matter the snow, they still did deliver:medals:, as did the Chinese guy:medals:).

That was an all great American party! :USA-flag:

Whoohooo! :costum:

CWOJackson
February 9th, 2010, 17:26
Well, weather did not work in our favor this time, but next attempt will be somewhere in April/May, in Springfield, Ohio. Heard ther is a big....BIG aerospace museum in vicinity there as well :jump:

US Air Force Museum outside of Dayton. Plan on spending at least one whole day. Be sure to also visit the R&D and Presidential Aircraft hangers; there is a shuttle directly from the main museum.

The largest museum of it's kind in the world and well worth the cost of admission...free.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

The five hangers in the background contain aircraft awaiting restoration. The R&D and Presidential hangers aren't visible. There is a large restoration facility also not visible in this shot.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/exhibits/restoration/index.asp

If you can get there on/over a Friday you can sign up for a behind the scenes tour at the Restoration Facility...well worth a second day in itself. It's a three hour walking tour through the facility in a small (3-6 person) group with your own guide. Besides ongoing restoration projects such as the Memphis Bell, you won't believe the things laying around (much the only/last of it's kind). For instance, there was a transport version of the B-36...it's in there in pieces.

Warrant
February 9th, 2010, 17:50
Cheers mate!, that was the info i needed!:medals::medals:

Gonna bookmark this page so i have the info the moment i go there :medals: