PDA

View Full Version : Possible Tornadoes Tomorrow, Followed By A Blizzard...

Dain Arns
November 4th, 2008, 17:19
Let's see. Nat'l Weather Service says T-Storms with damaging winds tonight, and tomorrow morning. Possible Tornadoes, which would be the latest in the year on record for South Dakota. To be followed by a major blizzard which is already marching across the state from the west....

Gee it's swell to live here sometimes... :isadizzy: :173go1:

Gotta remember I moved here for the families' sake too. :costumes:

Lionheart
November 4th, 2008, 17:58
Well.. You did pick a rough area 'weather wise' to live in. :d

Minot can really get cold and harsh in the winters. Do like the Minnesotians do and live in Phoenix/Scottsdale in the winter. (Snowbird migrational sciences....)

:ernae:

<-- remembers child hood days in Amarillo Texas, 3 tornado warnings a night for two weeks every year back then... huddling in the living room watching the weather reports till the 'coast was clear'.

Bill

idancesafetydance
November 4th, 2008, 18:12
same here, Southern WI Last year was a tornado record here, Jan. 7 an f-2 kills 3 and injures many, and in June, right before prom, an F-4 hit a school (empty) 10 minutes from our town of Delavan (yes the delavan that radar from mash was born in)

Tom Clayton
November 4th, 2008, 22:29
Bill, I grew up for one week out of every year on Crockett St! My grandparents had an underground shelter in their back yard. I'd play in it ever visit, but I remember one year when we had to use it for real!

hey_moe
November 5th, 2008, 02:47
We only get the usually tidal flooding...once in a while we get to see some rockin and rolling when a hurricane stops by.

Rami
November 6th, 2008, 10:19
Dain Arns,

Did you make it through ok?

Moparmike
November 6th, 2008, 11:24
Dain Arns,

Did you make it through ok?

The weather is still on it's way in Rami. Up in ND, the winds weren't nearly as bad as what the NWS was forecasting...just cold, wet, & miserable! :banghead:

So far I haven't been hit too bad up in southern or central ND by the wind and rain but the snow is still a comin'.
It's opening weekend of deer season (in ND)...naturally the weather has to be lousy! :d Kinda glad I've gotta work this weekend instead...For the most part I'll be indoors for the nasty stuff.

Moparmike
November 6th, 2008, 11:29
Well.. You did pick a rough area 'weather wise' to live in. :d

Minot can really get cold and harsh in the winters. Do like the Minnesotians do and live in Phoenix/Scottsdale in the winter. (Snowbird migrational sciences....)

:ernae:

<-- remembers child hood days in Amarillo Texas, 3 tornado warnings a night for two weeks every year back then... huddling in the living room watching the weather reports till the 'coast was clear'.

Bill

Bill...we've got a cute little saying about the "cold weather keeps the riff-raff out". Well I've lived up here most of my life so I think that can probably be de-bunked! LOL But it's still a nice place to live...especially if you love the winter weather like I do.

If we didn't have those nice snowy days then I couldn't go out and play with my camera and get shots like this one... :d

Dain Arns
November 6th, 2008, 14:14
It just got here. Supposed to only be 1-3" for the event. We have that already in the past 30 minutes. Ankle deep snow ended up being waist deep in the Black Hills.

EDIT: Nat'l Weather Service upgraded to full-blown Blizzard warning a few minutes ago until 12:30pm on the 7th now.

Joe P
November 6th, 2008, 15:57
Wow Mike! Do you have a larger version of that picture?

monk1
November 6th, 2008, 16:53
Wonderful weather this time of year. NOT. Wosrt part of it all is the end of motorcycle season. Guess it's time to refreeze the lakes in FS and take out my ski planes. First up, Junkers W34. :applause:

Trans_23
November 7th, 2008, 15:26
same here, Southern WI Last year was a tornado record here, Jan. 7 an f-2 kills 3 and injures many, and in June, right before prom, an F-4 hit a school (empty) 10 minutes from our town of Delavan (yes the delavan that radar from mash was born in)
The Delavan I used to go for roller skating as a young lad. Ahh, those nights skating under the big mirror ball with my sweetheart. Those were the days (nights).

Panther_99FS
November 7th, 2008, 16:22
4ft of snow - wow! :isadizzy:

Dain Arns
November 8th, 2008, 04:26
Yep. Finally re-opened I-90 through the Black Hills area, it was shut down for two days almost. We didn't get it as bad here as they said. I think they got nervous after the 4 feet in Deadwood. We got nervous too.

Problem here it rained heavy first, then we got about 6 inches of snow, but it partially melted. So we ended up with about a 3 inch coating of ice and hard crunchy snow all over everything. :isadizzy:

Cameljockey
November 8th, 2008, 09:26
Wow Mike! Do you have a larger version of that picture?
I put it on my Desktop. Looks good and clear at 1280x1024!
Great pic Mike! Too bad it wasn't a Ford!:costumes:

Moparmike
November 8th, 2008, 14:21
Yep. Finally re-opened I-90 through the Black Hills area, it was shut down for two days almost. We didn't get it as bad here as they said. I think they got nervous after the 4 feet in Deadwood. We got nervous too.

Problem here it rained heavy first, then we got about 6 inches of snow, but it partially melted. So we ended up with about a 3 inch coating of ice and hard crunchy snow all over everything. :isadizzy:

Beuatiful weather wasn't it Dain! :costumes: You guys got it worse down there then I got hit up in ND. Still gonna be miserable for a few days until it warms up enough to melt the roads off.
The nice thing about all that snow they had over in the Black Hills is that most of it will be gone the next time the sun comes out. I'll bet they hit 50-60° again in a few days.

I'm planning on heading down towards Watertown in a few days...still a few miles north of you but they got spanked pretty good too. I sure hope the roads clear up by then!

JoeP, check your PMs.

GT182
November 8th, 2008, 14:46
If I didn't know any better Mike, I'd say that picture was taken up in Northern NY. We used to get snow like that... but more. And when it comes around again, I'll be glad I'm here in Delaware.

Panther, 4 foot of snow ain't nuthin. For 2 years running Central NY, just off Lake Ontario, had 9 feet of snow in one storm. What's in yer wallet? :costumes: