PDA

View Full Version : The Storm Is Here!

OBIO
February 5th, 2010, 13:40
The 12-hour snow storm has officially hit Mansfield, Ohio....started about 2 and a half hours ago. Already have over an inch of snow on the ground and roads...most of that within the last half hour or so. I went into town half hour or so ago...and there was less than a quarter inch of snow on the road, but the roads were SLICK...the first bit of snow had melted on the road then froze into ice. I had to run in to get stuff to get us through the weekend/Super Bowl. It is coming down hard...big beefy flakes of snow.

I fired up FS9, FSMetars and Snapper...here's what it looks like at KMFD (Mansfield Lahm Regional), which is 3 miles west of my house...so looking out my window..it looks just like this...but real and no Cessna T-50 sitting there.

OBIO

Cloud9Gal
February 5th, 2010, 13:45
Same here in Pittsburgh, PA! The road conditions are very hazardous. The snow is coming down fast and thick. Yay! Snow!!!!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s7471.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

brad kaste
February 5th, 2010, 13:48
OBIO,....looks like Chicago weather to me. Sure you're not taking off at Midway or OHare?
BTW,...what app is it that you use to display/show in yellow letters the name of the airport one is flying out of? And where would one download it from?
-Brad

OBIO
February 5th, 2010, 13:53
Brad

The screen shot program is called Snapper. Very nice little program....and free.

http://www.ovosoft.net/snapper/

OBIO

Wittpilot
February 5th, 2010, 14:04
OBIO, We were scheduled to work this Saturday, and by some miracle the 'folks at the top' said we didnt' have to... Took me 2 hours to get home & saw over 10 cars off the road.... Bad stuff... 2nd shift at my plant is gonna have some reeeaaaaal fun....

hey_moe
February 5th, 2010, 17:05
Yepper...it's here too...started snowing about 11:00, then went to rain, should be turning back to snow sometime tomorrow morning.

Matt Wynn
February 5th, 2010, 17:13
snow! i like snow women wear boots in snow....

err whoops, there goes what i like about snow.... that and being able to easilly fabricate LUP's :icon_lol:

shame it doesn't snow too often in the UK, unless i decide to go to the Cairngorms... 100mph winds, visibility 20m and blizzards... it's a beautiful thing when on a training ex and you have to dig in...

*Moping around wishing it was snowing* :kilroy:

GT182
February 5th, 2010, 17:37
Started to spit snow here about 4pm, but really started snowing at 4:30. Looks to be about 4 inches on the ground and more to come they say.

Bring it on..... my snowblower is all set to tour the neighborhood tomorrow afternoon. :d

Matt Wynn
February 5th, 2010, 17:46
lucky lot, i tried taking my bike out when it showed here in the UK, ducati's don't like snow, remember as a kid cycling really fast then locking the rear wheel up, see who out of you and all your friends could leave the longest tyre mark on the street? well thats kinda what a Ducati is like... thats and tank slapping like a mother as it keeps trying to step out of line :icon_lol:

i envy you all, keep the pics coming, I like 'em :jump:

Cazzie
February 5th, 2010, 18:45
Yepper...it's here too...started snowing about 11:00, then went to rain, should be turning back to snow sometime tomorrow morning.

Hope you're luckier than us folks 200 miles west of ya Moe. Started as beautiful snow, then went to rain around 10:00. Been raining ever since, power off for 2 hours already earlier today. Hate ice! God blesses you people that got only snow!

Caz

Cazzie
February 5th, 2010, 18:49
lucky lot, i tried taking my bike out when it showed here in the UK, ducati's don't like snow, remember as a kid cycling really fast then locking the rear wheel up, see who out of you and all your friends could leave the longest tyre mark on the street? well thats kinda what a Ducati is like... thats and tank slapping like a mother as it keeps trying to step out of line :icon_lol:

i envy you all, keep the pics coming, I like 'em :jump:

Smoothie, we still put on our knobbies and ride ourt Mt. bikes opn the Riverwalk Trail in the snow. It's flat and a hoot. You do real well once there's enough bikers and the trail is packed. Trouble is, we've had three floods in four months and our favored Riverwalk Trail is full of mud and debris under the snow. So no riding this year. Wanted to do some more sledding, but this stupid freezing rain has put any hopes of that to submission.

HouseHobbit
February 5th, 2010, 18:52
It is so beautiful I love the snow..
I was out building snow hobbits..
Having a Ball going to ski down the streets in a bit..
No cars out so I CAN SKI AROUND..
YES I haven't grown up, and our Lord has: blessed me with the ability to still do all of this without any problems..Thank God..
Any way since when did anyone ever think Hobbits ever grow up..
I hope all of you who love the winter snow as I do get out and play..
The rest can watch us and shake their heads and wonder..
LOL..

:applause::applause::applause:
Going to Play..

Matt Wynn
February 5th, 2010, 19:01
the British Police.... Such ingenuity...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9HR-3S6_uY0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9HR-3S6_uY0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

anyways yeah bikes you cycle are ok on the snow but my bikes a big moody bugger with an engine :icon_lol: i've only ever came off a bike once... a traffic island, back end stepped out and the bike and me went sliding into the hedge... now i have a more powerful bike and am not afraid of coming off the thing :icon_lol: only place i can ski near me is the 'Snowdome', in fact might go have some time on the slope this week...

OBIO
February 5th, 2010, 20:39
It's been snowing here in KMFD Land for about 9 hours or so...maybe a longer. It is still coming down like Helter Skelter and look at the weather radar shows that we still have more to come. Haven't been out for a few hours....but will be going out here in a bit to potty the dogs before bed time....going to see just how much of an 8 pound dog and a 12 pound dog get buried in the snow.

The bright yellow dog it Mansfield...my home town.

OBIO

Over a foot of white fluffy stuff easily!

hey_moe
February 6th, 2010, 04:14
Caz....we are going to get nailed this afternoon.

GT182
February 6th, 2010, 04:18
Don't know about you guys down there Moe, but we've been nailed already up here. LOL

Snuffy
February 6th, 2010, 05:01
Yeah, its hell here too guys n gals. Thunder, lightning, heavy rain, and 77 damned degrees.

I want Snow! :173go1:

hey_moe
February 6th, 2010, 07:23
I been watching the news on you guys. Y'all been getting blasted up there.I guess if it keeps on in your area you will have to start digging out to a pay phone to let us know you are alive. It has just started to snow again here and the stores were packed again. When we were at Lowe's and their was a line long of over twenty getting snow shovels...lol.The man upstairs takes care of my walkway and driveway. Linda was getting paint chips to see what color she wants to paint the living room,dinning room and hallway.....lol...you know what I got planned to do:mixedsmi:.
Don't know about you guys down there Moe, but we've been nailed already up here. LOL

Dain Arns
February 6th, 2010, 11:25
I'll say it.
Glad you folks have most of it this time around. :icon_lol:

We've had three full-blown blizzards so far this year.
We still have folks without power from the last storm two weeks ago. :isadizzy:

GT182
February 6th, 2010, 11:50
Well, looks like we got about 18 to 20"s. Not really a blizzard or much of a whiteout here like they said we'd get. Depends on where you measure it. LOL Got a few good snowdrifts too. Worst one had my car in it. Snow rolling off the house and snow up to the side window on the driver's side.... again. Plus, over 3 feet of snow on the roof of it. The neighbors had a 4' drift across their driveway.

Quit snowing here about 3:15pm. That's good, but it's probably the storm catching it's breath for another go at us. There's places below us in DE and across from us in NJ that got hit a lot harder than here.

A few pictures for Matt. ;)

OBIO
February 6th, 2010, 12:04
We have about 14 inches on snow, deeper in drifts of course. The neighbor had his snow blower out this morning...clearing around the cars and in front of my garage door...and the snow was as deep as the hopper on his little snow blower. He called a friend of his with a plow truck to come and do the main driveway...which is several hundred feet long and up hill....we split the cost of the plowing. The guy shows up and begins plowing...the snow was so deep he had to make two passes to get down close to the gravel. Once he got most of the drive way done...he got stuck up against the guard rail that runs along the lower part of the drive way. We tried digging the truck out but every time he tried to back up the truck would slide up against the guard rail...lucky the rail was there or the truck would have slide over a 4 foot bank and really been stuck! The guy had to call his brother to come out with another truck to pull him out.

Fortunately, we did not get any ice, did not lose electricity, and can now get out of our drive way...not that I have any plans to go anywhere until Tuesday...when Deb has another appointment with the eye surgeon.

OBIO

GT182
February 6th, 2010, 15:23
It's official... we got 26 inches of snow here in New Castle. And wouldn't ya know it, the sun came out just before it set tonight.

Cleaned out 4 driveways today, and 5 more to go tomorrow. Hopefully more than 5... the GTO needs new WL T/A Radials. LOL

Hals und Bein Bruch
February 6th, 2010, 18:45
DC is toast