PDA

View Full Version : You asked for it....

krazycolin
February 2nd, 2010, 15:55
Ok, so now don't go getting all slobbery or anything....

I'll try and get some more rendered tomorrow but make no promises...

WIPS. But almost ready to be sent off for some loving coding by Darrell...

Dunno how far he'll go with it... we'll see...

kc

Scratch
February 2nd, 2010, 16:01
HOT DANG!!!!!!!!!

deimos256
February 2nd, 2010, 16:03
8 engines? b-52? is this a VC for the CS offering?

flaviossa
February 2nd, 2010, 16:05
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! I WANT IT!!! :applause:

krazycolin
February 2nd, 2010, 16:12
8 engines? b-52? is this a VC for the CS offering?

No.

Just kidding. Yes. It is. It's NOT going to be weathered too much and it will not have the other 4 seats... And we can only work within the restrictions not only of FSX but, sadly, also within the restrictions put in place by CS....

kc

strykerpsg
February 2nd, 2010, 16:14
Colin, you are fantastic! Seeing the CRT display, are you going to model the EO/FLIR as well? Also noticed the device that depicts the landing/takeoff attitude, allowing a cross wind landing or takeoff, bravo on your attention to detail.:monkies:

Matt

piperarcherpilot
February 2nd, 2010, 16:18
Oh boy, here we go, more money's gonna be leaving the wallet!

There was no way I'd buy the CS plane without a VC, but, with Milviz making one, theres no way I wont!

AWESOME!

piperarcherpilot
February 2nd, 2010, 16:21
BTW On the gear placard, it looks like it says "220 KNOTS MAX DURING REFRACTION." ...Retraction?

Just trying to help!

Looks great! :applause:

rvn817j
February 2nd, 2010, 16:31
But, like the old beer commercial, I love ya man!

Sundog
February 2nd, 2010, 16:45
That looks great. I'm going to have to fix my FSX now. Added on the "to-do" list.

krazycolin
February 2nd, 2010, 16:49
For the spelling mistakes... yah.. sorry... I will fix them... it's not the only one sadly...

I will leave the question of the systems to Darrell...

Darrell? Feel free to chime in anytime!

kc

Lionheart
February 2nd, 2010, 17:05
My goodness man, that is awesome work!

Is that done in Max?

Bill

krazycolin
February 2nd, 2010, 17:08
Yup. Baked in Vray 1.5.31 Sp2. I will post some screenshots of it in max (with no renders) later on either tonight or early tmrw...

Glad you guys like it.

kc.

JamesChams
February 2nd, 2010, 17:11
Mr. Colin "Krazycolin,"

So, CS has allowed you to do this... Outstanding! :applause:
Now do you think they'll allow you to do a VC for their XLoad F-117A as well?

PS: Any news on the other WIP's - AV-8, F-22, & F-15's???

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

VFR Reviews
February 2nd, 2010, 17:15
Oooh... Bless you Colin :engel016:

krazycolin
February 2nd, 2010, 17:17
These are screenshots from within Max's window. These are NOT renders. This is how it will look at the base level. Then Darrell will add in the shine and spec and reflectivity and all that stuff...

I'm curious as to why I would ask CS if I am allowed to sell a VC for a product they aren't making one for?

Thanks.... Darrell will have it in the next couple of days and then the real work begins...

kc

JAllen
February 2nd, 2010, 17:25
CS should thank you guys. This just sold another one. I wasn't gonna buy it after the 727. Downloading the BUFF tonight. Seven years on the BUFF and now I get one of my own. Cool!

Jim

strykerpsg
February 2nd, 2010, 17:39
These are screenshots from within Max's window. These are NOT renders. This is how it will look at the base level. Then Darrell will add in the shine and spec and reflectivity and all that stuff...

I'm curious as to why I would ask CS if I am allowed to sell a VC for a product they aren't making one for?

Thanks.... Darrell will have it in the next couple of days and then the real work begins...

kc

Colin, again, simply stunning! Thanks for taking the lead in finishing a great looking external model with a great looking pit as well. Perhaps CS will retain you to finish the rest of their bird. BTW, took a look at your website and must say, you and team have quite the gift of creation. Now, if we could get more of your work into FSX, just simply great looking stuff! Kudos to you and your team.

Matt

MCDesigns
February 2nd, 2010, 17:46
While I have no interest in the B-52, that is a great looking pit and it's very cool that one of this quality can be built by a 3rd party company, great job guys!

JamesChams
February 2nd, 2010, 17:53
Mr. Colin "Krazycolin,"

Well, what does this mean exactly...???

.... Yes. It is. It's NOT going to be weathered too much and it will not have the other 4 seats... And we can only work within the restrictions not only of FSX but, sadly, also within the restrictions put in place by CS....
Are you selling it to them (CS) or as your own seperate product being marketed as compatible with their (CS') external-model B-52?

Also, you didn't answer my other questions; whenever you have the time is fine, I'm not in any hurry.
And, those preview pic's look very nice. :applause:

Thanks!

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

hews500d
February 2nd, 2010, 17:58
Hi guys, I'm looking forward to working with Colin and Milviz in getting this thing going! He's put a tremendous amount of work into the modeling and from what I see in the pics above it looks fantastic!

When we first discussed this project we both determined that to keep it cost effective it will have to be "pretty basic." By that, I mean no "fancy" systems will likely be included (the crosswind takeoff feature, I don't believe Captainsim has modeled the visuals for this in their external model), etc. I will take it as far as I can, but some of it will be dependent on both what can be accomplished within the limits of FSX (8 engines ??) and my level of knowledge of XML programming. To accurately program all the systems would likely take longer to complete than the 3d modeling alone, which is one reason I think Captainsim decided to release the external model now.

A plane that requires a crew of 6 or more to fly is a heck of a lot more complicated than your average Cessna 172 :icon_lol: I've just received the pilots operating manuals for the B-52 that I've purchased and combined, they come out to something like 950 pages:isadizzy: There are a lot of switches folks!

But nevertheless, at least we will finally have a great looking and at least partly functional VC to go along with a great looking B-52 :ernae:

Darrell

krazycolin
February 2nd, 2010, 18:15
@James: I feel nor see no reason to talk to CS about our product (yet). They're not doing a VC... we are.

It is our intention to put it up for sale, more than likely on Simmarket, for between 20 and 30 bucks depending on how far Darrell takes it.

However, there are a lot of things that need to be taken into consideration in the coding of this bird... It may well be that I will contact Alex of CS and ask him to re-export the model with additional "features". We will have to see.

thanks for all the compliments. I really appreciate them.

kc

strykerpsg
February 2nd, 2010, 18:18
Darrell, my hats off to you and Colin for taking a shell and giving everyone some hope of a more complete warbird. I am certain whatever product you and Colin put forward is already 110% better then the stock 747 pit CS released with it. Anyway, the crosswind feature would be cool, but not necessary. A working FLIR/EO would be cool, but lest I digress....I certainly won't complain about anything released by your team at this point.

Matt

piperarcherpilot
February 2nd, 2010, 18:42
Those screenshots are fantastic! However; Darrell - dont take it too far! ;) I was hoping it would be $10-15. $20 is manageable for a VC for such a great plane. $30, however, is getting close to what one would expect for a complete airplane, not just a VC and especially not one without detailed systems. Not meant to be frustrating - I know the logistics in building something like this - its just my input.

Its looking great so far! I'll be keeping my eye on this one! :applause:

And KC, I agree with you - who cares what CS is or isnt doing or planning. This is YOUR VC for sale. A separate product. If they (or anyone else for that matter) have issue with it; you're not building it for the CS model; its just out there, and it 'just happens to work quite well with the CS model.'

c87
February 2nd, 2010, 18:42
Colin, you're making my wishes come true. Thanks for taking this on. I've been waiting for the CS B-52 since they first posted screenshots way back when but was a little disappointed when there was no VC. Now this should round things out. If you make it, I'll buy it (and the CS external model too).

SolarEagle
February 2nd, 2010, 20:31
I would also suggest keeping the VC basic. More than $20 is too much. I was expecting $15. CS have given us a work of art at great price, and it would be nice to see the VC at a great price as well.

Roadburner440
February 2nd, 2010, 23:12
Wow this is a suprise. I didn't even know we had this project going on. Looking sharp! Maybe I will consider picking up the B-52 after all since it may have a cockpit now..

SpaceWeevil
February 2nd, 2010, 23:15
Props to you Colin - well 8 big fans anyway, you do great work. :ernae:. I tend to agree with SolarEagle - I think if you price it much over $20 then you'll only attract the hardcore fans. It's your call of course, just my2p's worth as an interested spectator.

krazycolin
February 3rd, 2010, 03:56
we're looking at 20 to 25 as our price range. I totally agree that we need to keep it low but, please remember that Simmarket takes a whopping 30% off for their cut...

kc

rvn817j
February 3rd, 2010, 04:25
I've never been in a B-52 cockpit, can't roll the plane worth a darn, its got 8 engines and I usually want to only deal with 1, and I'm former Navy not a 'blue suiter', BUT this airplane is so appealing. KC, the cockpit looks great and I will purchase it.

As one of my hobbies, I build computers and software can be very frustrating. (In fact last week I somehow corrupted my FSX load and had to re-install.) The folks on this site that do the programming and creative work are amazing and must spend a great amount of time getting it right. Given the limited market for FSX products, I sometimes wonder how you all make ends meet. Anyway, thanks to all you talented, creative people.

What I have trouble comprehending, however, is the big slice of pie taken by what I view as a non-value added middle man!? (I will understand if this remark does not get a response.)

The efforts of the builders, painters, programmers and creators on this site is certainly appreciated.

hews500d
February 3rd, 2010, 04:48
What I have trouble comprehending, however, is the big slice of pie taken by what I view as a non-value added middle man!? (I will understand if this remark does not get a response.)

Although I can't speak for Simmarket or any other fs vendors out there, I assume it's probably to cover the costs associated with hosting the files, etc. Not only do they have those, but also the time in dealing with the "e-commerce" side of things in receiving/processing payments, website design, issuing serial#'s, monthly payments to the developers... Countless emails from people having installation issues... I'm sure the list could go on and on :wavey:

Darrell

centuryseries
February 3rd, 2010, 11:11
Krazycolin,

If I may comment from an accuracy point of view (since everyone else loves it, there appears to have been no-one who has seen what a real H cockpit looks like!! and because I built the AlphaSim FS9 version, I'd offer a little pointer)

Before you get too carried away, may I suggest that you pour over some more reference photos like this one:

http://www.rbogash.com/DSCF2868.JPG

because your cockpit is way TOO dark man! It needs to have a light grey background, not charcoal colour. The dark charcoal background of the panel was on the earlier Buff versions ie A-D.

Also some of the switch colours are off - some too red etc. Just minor observations. Some items like the blue and white lights/buttons? do not appear on the H (talking about the area just in front of the throttles on the main panel shot).

It looks good, but it could do with some corrective work.

Please accept this as constructive criticism from someone who vowed never to build a B-52 for FS again.

Regards,

David.

krazycolin
February 3rd, 2010, 12:08
Hi David,

TOO LATE.... Seriously, it's all baked in but I'm thinking that there are so many B-52's (and I have been in two in the pit), that I'm pretty sure this one is close to being ok. The pit I have wasn't for an H anyway. It was a G and it's correct to the one that I was in...

As well, please remember that this isn't in FSX. These are screenshots from within Max so the "lighting" is off and it's WAY darker than it will be.

All that said, it will still be very pretty and, as close to accurate as I can make it and still keep it inexpensive.

Thanks for the crits though.

kc

deathfromafar
February 3rd, 2010, 13:11
krazycolin, there are enough variations of medium gray, dark gray to black panels in the B-52H that you can choose from. I would stay darker on the textures and even consider making the panels black. These panels below are flat black with medium gray FS(Federal Standard) paint around the walls and trim in the cockpit. I've seen more and more of the B-52H's pits colored exactly like these photos.

krazycolin
February 3rd, 2010, 13:19
The paint job is already done and set in stone. I'm now going over the poly count to try and get it under 500,000.

:running:

piperarcherpilot
February 3rd, 2010, 14:03
FWIW - The B-52's I've seen all had dark grey interior paneling. KC, your work looks very close to what I've observed. I've never seen a 52 with a light colored panel. I'm not saying they're not out there, but I wouldnt worry about slight coloration differences - I'm sure there are many different configurations out there. Looks great as is.

Just out of curiosity, whats the poly count of the Huey Cockpit? Just trying to get an idea of performance.

krazycolin
February 3rd, 2010, 14:16
I was kidding about the 500K poly count. Sheesh, that would STOP FSX dead in it's tracks.

The Huey VC is about 224K or so in terms of polys. Pretty heavy and detailed. Every single knob and panel has a bevel and so it is also one of the most detailed models in FSX. This is one of the reasons I was a bit ticked with an un-named developer. That count is after taking it down from 293K when it first went on sale. Those with slow machines were getting really bad FPS so, in the first patch, I took it down.

All that said, the Buff VC will be in the 200K range. Perfect for those with slower machines... (not P-4's mind you). Because of the physical size of the cockpit (immense) and all those engines, we are talking about quite a few textures to keep everything readable.

kc.

Ian Warren
February 3rd, 2010, 23:47
KC .. a VC .. for the NZ B52 Squadrons .. :173go1: Ha who are we kidding , Im in with a Grin with the VC and costing sounds perfect to me , and with JK s (JanKee) latest paint-skin she will be a winner :salute:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

krazycolin
February 4th, 2010, 12:21
If you want the VC for the BUFF faster, better start sending love letters to Darrell.... :engel016: (meaning he's got the model now...)

kc

hews500d
February 4th, 2010, 12:53
If you want the VC for the BUFF faster, better start sending love letters to Darrell.... :engel016: (meaning he's got the model now...)

kc

Nice looking females will work too :icon_lol:

Darrell

krazycolin
February 5th, 2010, 13:11
Just to let everyone know, in the real thing, you would be able to see the wings and at least one set of engines through the windows...

Due to the poly count, texture issues and model issues, we are not going to have this in the VC.

sorry for that...

kc

deathfromafar
February 6th, 2010, 05:43
krazycolin, we're just glad to see you guys coming through with this! :applause:
Not going to bother me in the slightest if I don't see engines and wings on one side.

strykerpsg
February 14th, 2010, 14:38
Not to sound too overly anxious, by chance are there any updates we can view yet or info you could share? I so love you guys for fixing this fantastic external shell of a plane. If only we could have gotten you to help Alphasim and their C-17 without a pit.

Matt

dougal
February 14th, 2010, 15:10
Any ideas why i can't see the pix? I just see the paperclip and "Thumbnails Attached", but no pic:-(

strykerpsg
February 14th, 2010, 15:25
Same here, no pic, just the paperclip..............

limjack
February 14th, 2010, 15:28
Same here, no pic, just the paperclip..............

I think it has something to do with the update of the SOH. All my post with pictures have the same thing, just the paper clip.

Jim

hews500d
February 14th, 2010, 18:43
Not to sound too overly anxious, by chance are there any updates we can view yet or info you could share? I so love you guys for fixing this fantastic external shell of a plane. If only we could have gotten you to help Alphasim and their C-17 without a pit.

Matt

Coding is continuing, making progress. That's 'bout all I can say for now:wavey:

Darrell

krazycolin
February 14th, 2010, 20:14
I'm sorry guys, but it appears that the move to this server has trashed the pics... and, worse yet, I had a HDD crash that destroyed my desktop... so.. I don't have them anymore...

Perhaps there's a lucky (and kind) soul out there who right clicked and downloaded them? And who would be gracious enough to re-up them?

If not, you'll just have to wait till Darrell gets some pics up...

kc

tigisfat
February 14th, 2010, 21:45
Yes, I hope someone posts some more. I didn't get to see them.

I hope they look beat to $h!t. That's how I like my B-52s.

Lewis-A2A
February 15th, 2010, 04:28
is it not the same as on the website colin? theres one or two there.

Roadburner440
February 15th, 2010, 04:37
The aircraft on our website are professional models that were made for other customers. While the base model will still be similar, a lot of those models are made without poly/texturing restraints. In a few cases we have found it easier to just start from scratch instead of trying to reduce the models we already have down to fit. I believe the B-52 cockpit is a ground up creation. The pit was already sent off to other people to get the finishing touches (thank god) before the hard drive crashed. Hopefully there more screens will surface soon but it is out of our hands.

hews500d
February 15th, 2010, 04:42
Hey guys, I did snap a few quick screenies during a test flight yesterday but didn't get a chance to upload them last night. I'll do my best to get them uploaded tonight when I get home from my day job.

I've gotten most of the flight instruments animated and I'm now moving on to the engine/fuel system and corresponding instruments. These are probably going to take a little time to sort out but she'll get there.

After that I'll tackle the navigation instruments and she should be finished at that point. She's still a few weeks from completion, but getting there:wavey:

Darrell

flaviossa
February 15th, 2010, 15:06
Very nice!!! This is the first choice in my "to-buy" list! Thanks!