PDA

View Full Version : PEARL HARBOR MISSION BUILDERS

Bill Kestell
February 1st, 2010, 11:59
I was fooling around with the possibility of a mission involving the Type A Midget subs. Toward that end, I used USIO'S TYPE-A MIDGET and incorporated TR's OPERATING SUB internals. The results ... check it out!

I flew off Ford Island in a SBD ... changed to my PBY ... landed in the water and then changed to my "I-16" Type A ... and then began navigating toward my objective.

#1 I-16 TYPE-A off the channel mouth.
#2 Periscope view (PV) on entering the channel.
#3 PV of Navy Yard off on the starboard quarter.
#4 Surfaced shot ... Battleship Row is off to the port quarter ahead.
#5 PV of Ford Island NAS, west side, after navigating up the east side.
#6 PV just clearing the Ford Island seaplane Base.
#7 Surfaced view in channel, heading for open sea.
#8 Took a detour into the West Loch (just like I-16 did).
#9 Surfaced view, transited the channel and back out at sea.

So ... it can be done. If I had torpedoes aboard (Mk10's) and had targets ... I could have attacked.

Problems that need attention:

#1 The sub will NOT submerge/surface the way TR's U-Boat VII does.
#2 The sub rides bow-down and needs to be leveled.
#3 The sub has a nasty port list that needs correcting.

I'd like to see the sub sit with her hull completely awash (or maybe even submerged), with just the conning tower or the better part of it (75% ??) above the surface when in "surfaced" trim ... and with just the periscope breaking surface when in "submerged" trim. The other 5 Midgets could be set up as AI's to perform their attacks in conjunction with the operating I-16.

If anyone out there who is a MISSION BUILDER and wants to add this aspect to the new PHP2 ... I will gladly send over what I have put together thusfar.

ALSO****

Another mission could be created which has the 6 midgets making an attack ... and the player as a DD skipper trying to find and destroy them with a combination of "gunfire" and that "depth charge effect" that was created a while back.