PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Engine Centrifugal Force

dandog
January 31st, 2010, 20:18
:iidea: Has there ever been a flight model that exhibits the centifugal effects of a piston rotary engine (say, a Gnome-Rhone)? Is it possible in FS9?. I think I might ask over on the dark side as well.

fliger747
January 31st, 2010, 22:05
I haven't investigated this, Sparks might know.... However it could be possible by using a very high prop Moment value.

T

Motormouse
February 1st, 2010, 04:04
IIRC you have to add a line to either fs9.cfg and/or aircraft.cfg file
to get this effect going. Try a forum search on same subject.

ttfn

Pete

bmd
February 1st, 2010, 07:39
Hello Dandog,

The Nieuport 17 of Michel "Oldliner52" Migaud is a representative of what may be the effect of a rotary engine. It is available on Flightsim ( nieupt17-1.zip ) It is also available on Fswarbird ( nieuport_17.zip )

Be careful when handling the Nieuport 17. The torque effect is huge. So apply gently the throttle. Remember also that there is no brake on the aircrafts of this era.

I have created the FDE of this model. So if you have question about the Nieuport 17, feel free to ask.

Have a good day.

Benoit

Lionheart
February 1st, 2010, 12:25
I was going to say, yes there is.

It is set with a prop effect in the Config file. Forgive me, I have forgotten which one it is. It is a custom string entry. I had it in my Tailwind for a while and finally took it out to help the ground handling.

Its pretty bizzare as it will pull the nose up with one turn direction, then pushes the nose down with opposite turns. Those pilots must have really had a rough time in a dog fight with those rotary engines and huge wooden props...

Bill

dandog
February 2nd, 2010, 19:33
Thank you. Wonderful little craft. Not to easy to do a smooth take off. Nose pitches up hard. Plus the planes desire to tip to either side. Cruises great. Throttle on, pitch up. Throttle down, pitch down. And its not the same up/down throttle response one is used to. Roll out on landing can be a little tough. I recommend killing the engine prior to touch down. As like other FS9er's, I had to make at least one change. I switched in the Nieuport17 sounds fromm OFF2. The soung file was not abnoxious enough. Idle was too smooth.

robert41
February 2nd, 2010, 20:08
Have a listen to this sound pack. http://blutwerks.com/Werkstatt/werks_001.htm Go down, click on freebies.

Cazzie
February 3rd, 2010, 03:39
Thank you. Wonderful little craft. Not to easy to do a smooth take off. Nose pitches up hard. Plus the planes desire to tip to either side. Cruises great. Throttle on, pitch up. Throttle down, pitch down. And its not the same up/down throttle response one is used to. Roll out on landing can be a little tough. I recommend killing the engine prior to touch down. As like other FS9er's, I had to make at least one change. I switched in the Nieuport17 sounds fromm OFF2. The soung file was not abnoxious enough. Idle was too smooth.

This is the Nieuport 17's VC in FSX using Baron's sound. Once you get used to it, it is a quite pleasurable plane. the throttle is blipped on and off in landing.

kOJ0a_N2W3M

Helldiver
February 3rd, 2010, 04:56
I think you are talking about Gyroscopic Force and not Centrifugal Force because of the engines rotation. It would tend to make it turn better in one direction and fight a turn in the other.

Terry
February 3rd, 2010, 05:03
I think you are talking about Gyroscopic Force and not Centrifugal Force because of the engines rotation. It would tend to make it turn better in one direction and fight a turn in the other.

I believe you are right on the mark. Cetrifical force would be most noticeable on the ground. When you gun the engine the fusalage would want to twist in the opposite direction of the engine. Gyro force would be as you stated.

dandog
February 3rd, 2010, 07:57
You're right. Should not post when half asleep. Gyroscopic force! At least others saw through my error. Soo much work, such little FS9.

bobmay
February 4th, 2010, 15:43
Those pilots must have really had a rough time in a dog fight with those rotary engines and huge wooden props...
Bill

The Sopwith Camel had a very heavy rotary engine. I read a book written by a Camel pilot (Winged Victory by V.M.Yeates 1934) and apparently they did not use the throttle to control speed. The throttle was set at full, or nearly full, for the whole flight because small changes had little effect and tended to upset the running of the engine. To descend and land they switched off the ignition, and even during the landing approach they controlled speed by 'flipping' the ignition switch on and off !

Bob.