PDA

View Full Version : First Win7 issue with FSX

deimos256
January 31st, 2010, 15:09
Ok so I try adding a repaint, and when i edit the aircraft.cfg it asks me to save and when i do it says access denied. ???????

spotlope
January 31st, 2010, 15:11
Have you turned down your User Access Control (UAC)? Here's a quick post on how to do it: http://www.blogsdna.com/1815/how-to-disable-uac-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7-beta-1-build-7000.htm

harleyman
January 31st, 2010, 15:13
YUP Dont just turn it down, pull it all the way to the bottom (off)

deimos256
January 31st, 2010, 15:27
Thanks immensely! I'm one day into my installation of W7 and figuring out all of the quirks. Took me 4 hours today to figure out iTunes wont sync photos from a D drive, had to move them to C

dswo
January 31st, 2010, 17:35
There's got to be a better way of doing this than turning off UAC completely. (I have mine one notch from the bottom.)

falcon409
January 31st, 2010, 17:55
There's got to be a better way of doing this than turning off UAC completely. (I have mine one notch from the bottom.)
For those who are comfortable with moving, deleting, copying, etc, UAC is a nuisance. It really serves no purpose other than getting in the way of normal operations. As quickly as I could after installing Vista and now Win7. . .I found it, turned it off and don't see any reason for it to even be installed. . .probably one of the worst ideas MS has come up with lately.:salute:

deimos256
January 31st, 2010, 18:05
Its certainly a nuisance but I can see why it is implemented, to prevent people from performing things that they know nothing about

glennc
January 31st, 2010, 18:08
I read something back in the "old" Vista days that said the purpose of UAC was to keep us DEU's (dumb end users) from making DUE's (dumb user errors). It means nothing on a personal machine, except maybe in a family environment where you don't want the kids from messing things up. In a business environment, its more of a safety feature.

Glenn

scottmm73
January 31st, 2010, 18:26
Anytime you want to edit something in a 'System Folder' UAC will be a nuiscance (sp?). One way around this; partition a separate section of the drive rename it the D: drive and install FSX there. UAC no longer denies you!! And you can keep it on, if so inclined.

Personally, I have it turned off and FSX on a separate drive.

dswo
February 1st, 2010, 03:01
I may not be dumb, but I've sure done some dumb things. Editing aircraft.cfg is a fairly benign activity, and I wish it were more straightforward in W7. But I'm on board with the UAC concept.