PDA

View Full Version : new kid on the block.

deathcomesarippin
January 31st, 2010, 02:21
I didnt see an introduction section around here, but im new to CFS2 (just bought it) and I thought why not join here and get some much needed help on downloading planes and etc.

anywhos im of for some searching and digging around in old threads, peace.

OBIO
January 31st, 2010, 02:32
Deathcomesarippin

Welcome to the site and to the CFS2 forum...affectionately known as the Basement to all us who dwell here. You have come to the right place for help, insights and all things related to CFS2. The Basement is by far the busiest CFS2 forum going....tons of stuff happening in here all the time.

Don't let anyone convince you that because CFS2 is 10 years old that it is out dated. As you will discover in the coming days, weeks, months....CFS2 has never been better, healthier, vital. The combat sim that came on those shiny discs you bought is nothing compared to what it will become. New mesh (which gives the world its shape), new planes, new sound packs, new weapons, new clouds, new effects, basically everything you can imagine to make the stock box CFS2 into a great all around sim. From WW1 to all theaters of WW2, Korean War, even some Vietnam stuff.

You may find that some features of the site are shut down or working on and off.....the site is in the process of expanding to a second server as we have outgrown the server we currently own. Having two servers will allow for faster forums, better download library, and a dedicated online multiplayer host. Be patient as the expansion takes place....once it is done, the best sim site on the internet will be even better.

OBIO

mariereid
January 31st, 2010, 02:50
Yes indeed, welcome aboard. There is no better place! Like OBIO said, be patient, things will be back to normal soon. If all else fails, at least you can read the forum. It's like a rich goldmine of info!:ernae:

deathcomesarippin
January 31st, 2010, 05:15
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
I want to try my hands at painting some aircrafts, but once I paint the aircraft where do I save it to? do I make a whole seprate file for the newly painted plane?

sorry for the noob question I just couldnt find anything in the tutorials I have read so far.

Shadow Wolf 07
January 31st, 2010, 05:26
Welcome aboard!

Jagdflieger
January 31st, 2010, 06:02
Welcome aboard DCR.

Earch aircraft has its own texture folder. When you make a new skin, just put the textures in a new folder, name it appropriatly (texture.xxxxx) and then reference it in the aircraft.cfg file.

Example:

Aircraft.cfg file

[fltsim.0]
title=FW190 << Aircraft folder name
sim=FW190 << DP and air file name
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Ostfront-Winter << New folder name

CFS 2 will ignor any other texture folder in the plane's folder except the one named "FW190" in this set up. Thre are other options, but it is best to keep a single named texture folder per plane.

Here is what your plane's folder should look like with your new texture folder. Note the "." after texture and then the name of the textures. Always use a period (.) between texture and the name using this method.

Devildog73
January 31st, 2010, 07:07
welcome aboard!

What some have not said yet, is that you can save your new texture in the "Skins" library here or in Simviation or any other CFS2 online library. Just send Ickie and email and ask him for a username and password to upload your work into the SOH library. Then, everyone around the world can have access to your skin work.

You do the same for Simviation, though I don't know the contact person over there to direct you to.

bismarck13
January 31st, 2010, 07:14
Be careful . . .
In the example Jagd uses above make sure you use a different name for each aircraft. If you have three different texture folders and all the aircraft are named "FW-190" it could cause a crash. You should give them names that describe the aircraft. Using names such as "FW190 Yellow 13" or "bf109G Hartmann" will keep crashes from occurring and also allow you to choose your aircraft more easily . . .

I am not sure if this happens to everyone but I had it happen yesterday so on my install each one has to have a different name as well as a different texture folder.

:isadizzy:

deathcomesarippin
January 31st, 2010, 08:51
ok cool thanks for all the info! i'll give a try at my virtual painting skills when I get some free time.

TARPSBird
January 31st, 2010, 09:39
DCA, welcome to the Outhouse! :wavey:

PomBee
January 31st, 2010, 12:36
Welcome to the Basement. There are a lot of very smart people at this forum, who are always more than willing to help you out with any problems.

Cheers,

Pombee.:ernae:

OBIO
January 31st, 2010, 13:07
Well, it looks like you already have a nick name....DCA...much easier to type than Deathcomesarippin. For some really good tutorials on skinning, take a look at Simmerspaintshop.com....tutes for Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp. Lots of Photoshop based insignia and marking collections that you can download and use on your skins.

The first tool you'll need for doing skin work is DXTbmp by Martin Wright. This program converts the texture files from extended bmp to regular bmp format, and from regular bmp format to extended bmp format. You can get DXtbmp here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/ (http://www.btinternet.com/%7Emnwright/)

Make sure you grab the latest DLL package...it is at the bottom of the Program List page.

If you have any questions on skinning, feel free to ask....there are a number of skinners here who would be more than willing to help you get going.

One warning....skinning can become very addictive and can lead to other addictive behaviors, like panel tweaking, dp editing, sound pack editing. I uploaded my first skin back in March or May of 2007....I now have over 200 uploads...in less than 3 years. I have no idea how many skins I have done...bunch of them. I once skinned for four solid days with only a couple hour nap during that time....sometimes insomnia can be quite useful...I did 25 or so skins for a P-51D in those 4 days.

OBIO

Ravenna
January 31st, 2010, 16:11
Wlcome aboard DCA!

deathcomesarippin
January 31st, 2010, 23:50
thanks for that info Obio ill try my best to the addiction under control! thanks for links and theres no problem with the name DCA.

and thanks again for the warm welcome everybody!

miamieagle
February 1st, 2010, 04:12
Welcome!:wavey:
I recomend for you to read this post from its first page to its last page http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1117604819/all. It as lots links to Websites dedicated to this Sim and also tips on how to improve your experience in flying through it as well.

Enjoy and watch your six! LoL:wavey:

erufle
February 6th, 2010, 02:24
Yo Bro! :wavey:

sc7500
February 6th, 2010, 10:40
...ill try my best to the addiction under control!...

Might as well resign yourself to the CFS2 addiction, DCR - with acceptance comes focus.

And you'll feel more like one of us sooner !

Welcome to the Basement :ernae:
SC
:kilroy:

Ghostrider
February 7th, 2010, 05:48
Another nice thing about having a complete aircraft folder for each skin is that you can use those differrent skins in mission builder. If your skins are all in the same aircraft folder, you're pretty much limited to the main skin for mission builder use. But yes, you will use more HD space duplicating the whole AC folder (model, panel, sound, texture folders, dp, cfg, air files for each aircraft. To me, it's worth the extra HD space to have planes usable in MB. But it's a personal choice. Can be done either way (or both ways). Welcome!