PDA

View Full Version : Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight

raptor19
January 30th, 2010, 07:14
I gather that there is some talk of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) being cut in forthcoming UK Defence reviews. If you already know about this or I have missed a post relative to it (can't find one) then my apologies. A petition has been set up on the UK No. 10 Downing Street website for people to sign up for their support to keep the Flight.

The petition reads as below and the link to sign up is also given. I have already signed up to the petition and would ask that you consider doing likewise if you feel the same way about retaining our heritage by keeping these magnificent old aircraft flying.

Best regards,

raptor19 (John N):ernae:

Petition Text and link.

It has been suggested that the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) which celebrates the sacrifice of those who flew during the 2nd World War, will be cut in the next round of defence cuts. This will be a travesty if it goes ahead. The BBMF costs a mere £3m a year, less than 0.1% of the defence budget. It is a great delight for all who see their displays, and the memory of 'The Few' will be lost. Please vote to ensure that the BBMF is not closed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BBMFCuts/

Ickie
January 30th, 2010, 07:36
Thanks for the update.

stiz
January 30th, 2010, 10:32
they wont be axed, even our goverment isnt that stupid, it was on the yearly "non essential for operations and could be scraped to save pennys list" and some reporter in the press wanted to fill a page. :kilroy:

raptor19
January 30th, 2010, 11:43
The petition exists and has been signed by over 5000 people to date including very senior retired RAF figures and many other public figures. An MOD spokesperson has apparently responded to the initial reports by stating that the BBMF won't be scrapped this year which is the 70th anniversary of the battle. I gather that nothing is ruled out for next year and adding a name to a petition costs nothing and is certainly going to show the strength of public feeling on the issue. This post was not intended to start an argument on the merits of the possible scrapping or otherwise of the BBMF but merely to point out that the issue has been raised and that the petition exists for anyone who wishes to use it.

Willy
January 30th, 2010, 14:36
[sarcasm mode] While they're at it, they could also scrap HMS Victory and HMS Warrior[/sarcasm mode]

OMDave
March 30th, 2010, 00:31
Hello to all ,
This is my first post here and I must comment on the user friendly layout of your site.I feel on this l I must weigh in my two cents,{er, shillings?},on this subject.IMHO it would be a travisty to cancel the memorial flight.An ultimate disrespect to the few and to the many who have worked so hard to remember them and honour them. Makes my eyes wet and my mind scream.
To the few,
OMDave:salute::salute::salute:

Quixoticish
March 30th, 2010, 00:52
From what I understand this is another one of those complete non-polls like the "ohmigosh the Red Arrows will not be allowed to fly at the Olympics opening ceremony" that was doing the rounds next year.

My understanding of the situation is that the BBMF could fall victim to defence cuts, but then it could every year that cuts are made. Every asset in the RAF is considered when cuts are being made, this is how it has always been and this is how I imagine it will always be.

This poll is based on a poorly researched and badly written article published in the Daily Mail, a notorious newspaper in the UK that concentrates more on rabble rousing than actually reporting events and is generally avoided by anyone with more than half a brain cell (but conveniently used as a reputable source by those same people when the papers motives line up with their own sense of moral outrage).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1243309/Defence-cuts-ground-Battle-Britain-flight.html

I do genuinely worry about these polls. With so many people signing up to them on a whim without doing any research or often giving any real hard thought to the matter at hand all it is doing is weakening the collective voice of the nation.

letsgetrowdy
March 30th, 2010, 01:40
I've already signed a few weeks ago :salute:
Who know's, but honestly I don't think they will be scrapped.
If they are, however, surely the aircraft will simply be snapped up by private owners, but continue to fly?

hewman100
March 30th, 2010, 01:46
The old adage 'Never say never' comes to mind. At one point it was thought that the MoD wouldn't axe the Vulcan display.

This actually happening is unlikely, as work done by most of the personnel associated with the Flight is on top of their normal duties as members of the RAF and the display commitments of the Flight help to pay for its upkeep.