PDA

View Full Version : Landing the Focke Wulf 190

Cleartheprop
January 29th, 2010, 21:11
Helo there!
This video shows two landings on two different surfaces : Grass and Asphalt. I use the "break turn approach" technique as the forward visibility is very poor and I found that straight-in approaches are quite hard to make.
3 points landing are performed. I used YLIL & YCUN from ORBX; :ernae:

4ga6e9NfsZ0

:running:

Bomber_12th
January 29th, 2010, 22:48
Interesting approaches, Mirage. My own philosophy on landing the 190, is to maintain a large arcing approach, like landing a Corsair on a carrier. At pattern height, on downwind, and with the gear and flaps coming down, I'll start the turning arc once abeam the threshold, always turning, decreasing speed, and maintaining a visual of the runway all the way down. This way I believe you can maintain your energy better, and also have a better picture all the way up to the flair, as you begin approaching the threshold, instead of making a straight decent towards the runway, too high, and too fast. I do the same thing whether it is a Spitfire, Mustang, or C-170, always preferably resulting in a three-pointer.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
You did make a couple of very nice three-pointers, and like with the Spitfire-vid, I would have accepted nothing less. ;) I also like the overhead break, utilized by every smart pilot out there, flying WWII fighter aircraft. Besides serving the great purpose of bleeding off the speed, which is so hard to do with these sleek aircraft, it is also a safety measure – not just the pilot taking the opportunity to buzz the field. By doing an overhead break, you come in with a lot of energy, so if the engine begins to fail, you have enough speed to bring the aircraft around to land safely – instead of being out in a large pattern, far from the field, at slow, pattern speed, which doesn’t give you much chance of making the field if the engine gives way. Coming out of an overhead break, you’re very close to the field, in downwind and base, and you will have no problem making the field if the engine fails.

Thank you for sharing these videos! I have to say, that this is one of the nicest landing aircraft I have ever flown in FSX, if you get away from the procedure in getting to the runway. Over the runway, it always settles in just perfectly, without any drama.

Cleartheprop
January 30th, 2010, 00:36
Interesting approaches, Mirage. My own philosophy on landing the 190, is to maintain a large arcing approach, like landing a Corsair on a carrier. At pattern height, on downwind, and with the gear and flaps coming down, I'll start the turning arc once abeam the threshold, always turning, decreasing speed, and maintaining a visual of the runway all the way down. This way I believe you can maintain your energy better, and also have a better picture all the way up to the flair, as you begin approaching the threshold, instead of making a straight decent towards the runway, too high, and too fast. I do the same thing whether it is a Spitfire, Mustang, or C-170, always preferably resulting in a three-pointer.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
You did make a couple of very nice three-pointers, and like with the Spitfire-vid, I would have accepted nothing less. ;) I also like the overhead break, utilized by every smart pilot out there, flying WWII fighter aircraft. Besides serving the great purpose of bleeding off the speed, which is so hard to do with these sleek aircraft, it is also a safety measure – not just the pilot taking the opportunity to buzz the field. By doing an overhead break, you come in with a lot of energy, so if the engine begins to fail, you have enough speed to bring the aircraft around to land safely – instead of being out in a large pattern, far from the field, at slow, pattern speed, which doesn’t give you much chance of making the field if the engine gives way. Coming out of an overhead break, you’re very close to the field, in downwind and base, and you will have no problem making the field if the engine fails.

Thank you for sharing these videos! I have to say, that this is one of the nicest landing aircraft I have ever flown in FSX, if you get away from the procedure in getting to the runway. Over the runway, it always settles in just perfectly, without any drama.

Hello John,

Thank you for your very interesting comment.
I use the overhead break technique for many reasons such as safety. I want to be able to make the field in the event of an engine failure for instance. In the video, I reduce power to idle at the beginning of the base leg and glide to the threshold using the flaps to control speed and slope. works out pretty well this way.
I agree this airplane is truly fantastic. I found it was one of the most challenging to land as forward visibility is really poor once on short final. That is why I decided to make a video using the "break" technique as it makes landings much easier! :ernae:

huub vink
January 30th, 2010, 02:39
Thanks for another beautiful instruction video Mirage! Normally I use the same technique as decribed by John. But what you say makes sense, so I will definitely try you technique as well!

Cheers,
Huub

dswo
January 30th, 2010, 04:26
Another fine video. One note, one query:

Note: I'm not recommending this, but if you find yourself on a straight-in approach this plane has excellent rudder authority. Put the plane into a slip, and you can see the runway through one of the triangular windows to the left and right of the central panel. This also works if the front panel is obscured by bird, blood, or oil.

Query: How are you placing the ground cameras for the video? Are these custom tower views?

Cleartheprop
January 30th, 2010, 04:46
Another fine video. One note, one query:

Note: I'm not recommending this, but if you find yourself on a straight-in approach this plane has excellent rudder authority. Put the plane into a slip, and you can see the runway through one of the triangular windows to the left and right of the central panel. This also works if the front panel is obscured by bird, blood, or oil.

Query: How are you placing the ground cameras for the video? Are these custom tower views?

Thanks for the note! I guess you must be quite high (or quite fast initially) on final to perform sideslips. But it works fine too to improve forward visibility! (especially when front panel is obscured or when flaps fail to extend) :ernae:

Regarding the ground cameras, I use Ezdok Walk FSX.
:running: