PDA

View Full Version : Some snappy detective work

falcon409
January 26th, 2010, 12:15
Recently I was doing a repaint of a new aircraft (FS9 portover) and when I tried to load it into FSRepaint to check the alignment of some graphics, it wouldn't load. . .an error message simply said FSRepaint could not display the model. I don't have that error at all really, so my assumption at first was that it was a problem with FSRepaint.

I sent a message to Customer Support at Abacus. . .Adam Howe returned my e-mail and asked if I would send the file to him and see if he could run some tests to see where it was failing. I sent it out last Friday and today I got my answer. . .

Adam sent the files over to Jorge at Customer Support who came back with this. . ."This aircraft has an invalid bgl opcode. . .an undocumented graphic drawing command used to instruct 2004 how to display the model. FSRepaint doesn't support such codes."

Mystery solved. . .no biggee really, out of hundreds of aircraft I have and at least half of those that I've done repaints of or modifications to, I've never had this pop up, so this is probably the only one. Nice job guys!:applause:

I just wanted to recognize the job well done by the Customer Support folks at Abacus. I've been critical of their service in the past and wanted to show the other side of it as well. Thanks to Adam and Jorge:ernae::ernae:

fsafranek
January 26th, 2010, 20:00
Good customer support is a great thing when you can find it.
It's nice to hear of a positive experience.

I had a similar problem when FSDS 3.5 came out and FS Repaint couldn't read the new MDLs to display the textures. Sharon in customer support (Jan 2008 timeframe) emailed me new program builds to try out prior to release (maybe recognized my name from beta testing the earlier VASS program). That solved my problem and gave them some useful feedback.
:ernae:

falcon409
January 26th, 2010, 21:12
Yea, I have to say, where FSRepaint is concerned, when I ran into problems with it early on, they were pretty prompt with suggestions to test and even new installers and such to get it back up and running. It is nice, as you say, when customer service works the way it's supposed to.:applause: