PDA

View Full Version : yet Another Auster

RyDraiggoch
January 26th, 2010, 10:48
Dave Molyneaux and Brian Horsey have produced yet another Auster Variant in their long series - this time the Alpine - aided and abetted by Martin P who provided over 200 photographs and data of the real thing down at Eggesford (G-ANXC) Here are a couple of shots -- its a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
now available at www.classicbritishfiles.com. AND NO there isnt anything wrong with the download capability there. the first 25 or so who downloaded it said it arrives in FULL in about 35-45 seconds.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/dispatchdragon/alpine2_20100125_1994647076.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/dispatchdragon/741937_20100123_1386240531-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/dispatchdragon/7072093_20100126_1445839147.jpg

The AA version and the Sally Bash australian paints will be along in the next couple of days as add on paints by Peter Watkins

The Initial model (G-ANXC) is in the library at classicbritishfiles now.

Leif

dogknot
January 26th, 2010, 13:06
Thanks for the HU, Leif! Got my copy of the Alpine. Looking forward to the paints.

RyDraiggoch
January 26th, 2010, 14:38
Brent

I just posted the paint for G-APAA over at www.classicbritishfiles.com

And thank you for registering there.

Hope you enjoy

Leif

dogknot
January 26th, 2010, 14:44
Thankyou sir! I'm off to get it.

No problem on the registering thing....Always some great aircraft, paints, scenerys, coming from you guys and the forums look to be helpful and friendly.

T6flyer
January 26th, 2010, 15:19
This new Auster, the 10th from the Molyneaux and Horsey stable represents the Alpine which was produced using the wings from the Autocar married to the fuselage and tailplane of the aerobatic Aiglet Trainer. Six of this model, the J-5R were produced and 4 of the lower powered J-5Q variant. The example modelled here was the prototype J-5R and is the only airworthy example today.

Built as an Aiglet Trainer and subsequently modified to the Alpine, it was used as a company demonstrator, before it was sold to Uganda where it was used for spotting wildlife for a number of game reserves. Brought back to the UK in the mid 1980s, it along with all of the other Austers produced for FS2004 lives at Eggesford in Devon.

I have to admit to have only flown the Alpine on a few occasions, but have to say that what you see today on the simulator, is very close indeed to the real thing. The attention to detail in this variant is well superb and the flight model truly replicates what at times is a very difficult aeroplane to fly. Please, do not let this put you off, it really teaches you a little bit more about flying than other types. This new variant is a worthy addition to the ranks.

Best wishes,

Martin

Flyboy208
January 27th, 2010, 11:30
Another Auster, wow we are being spoiled! Mike :ernae:

dogknot
January 27th, 2010, 12:58
The Alpine is a fun plane to fly and explore the countryside. I'm really enjoying it. :applause:

Besides the G-APAA paint that Leif mentioned, VH-UED and ZK-BLW are also now available. All nice paints.

T6flyer
January 28th, 2010, 02:50
Glad that you are enjoying the Alpine. A lot of work has gone into recreating this rare Auster variant and it is extremely close to the real thing in both looks and its flight model, due to the fact that we are lucky enough to have the assistance of the owner, the original manuals and the aeroplane itself.

My experience on type is very limited - mostly local flights and only one cross country and this seems to be now replicated with the sim version as spend most of my time in the circuit trying to perfect my landings. Perhaps one more....seems to be my current problem! Very addictive, if you like this kind of flying.

One day, hopefully soon I will take her further afield! )

Best wishes,

Martin

dogknot
January 28th, 2010, 06:28
Martin,

What are the bluish web-material handholds for? Located on either side of the windscreen. They appear to be attached to a cable, but perhaps that is an illusion of sorts and they are just handholds.

T6flyer
January 28th, 2010, 08:25
Martin,

What are the bluish web-material handholds for? Located on either side of the windscreen. They appear to be attached to a cable, but perhaps that is an illusion of sorts and they are just handholds.

Just handholds Im afraid. Probably the newest things in the whole airframe.

It can be a bit of a squeeze at times as they arent exactly the widest aeroplanes to fly in.

Martin

dogknot
January 28th, 2010, 08:46
Just handholds Im afraid. Probably the newest things in the whole airframe.

It can be a bit of a squeeze at times as they arent exactly the widest aeroplanes to fly in.

Martin

LOL! Will be sure to tug on them when squeezing in.
Once I got myself out into better light I finally saw the attach points. With some of the mountain canyon flying I've been doing, I'm sure my passenger will be using his pretty regularly.

RyDraiggoch
January 28th, 2010, 09:26
Acutally Brent in the VC they make reasonably good Turn and Slips as well.....David modeled them to follow the deck angle.

There has been an ongoing discussion about the different types of grab handles that Auster used -- it depended on what they could

buy surplus from which car company!!

Leif

dogknot
January 28th, 2010, 09:37
How about a "Sticky", moderators?

The Alpine is certainly worthy.:sheep:

dogknot
January 28th, 2010, 09:41
Acutally Brent in the VC they make reasonably good Turn and Slips as well.....David modeled them to follow the deck angle.

There has been an ongoing discussion about the different types of grab handles that Auster used -- it depended on what they could

buy surplus from which car company!!

Leif

Yes, I thought that was pretty neat and it saved me from having to tie up a piece of string. ;)

OBIO
January 29th, 2010, 15:56
Not sure how I missed this thread....thanks for the HU Dogknot. It is now stickied to make sure others don't miss out on this announcement.

OBIO

Tom Clayton
January 29th, 2010, 18:57
Thanks for the stick Tim! I haven't been around quite as much in the past few days - it's good to have another couple sets of watchful eyes around here!:applause:

T6flyer
February 2nd, 2010, 23:50
My experience on type is very limited - mostly local flights and only one cross country and this seems to be now replicated with the sim version as spend most of my time in the circuit trying to perfect my landings. Perhaps one more....seems to be my current problem! Very addictive, if you like this kind of flying.

One day, hopefully soon I will take her further afield! )

Martin

Well, I've done it.....I've taken her on quite a few cross countrys over the last week and as always loving every minute of it. A very very authentic aeroplane. Thank you Mr Moylneaix and Mr Horsey!!

Martin