PDA

View Full Version : Classified Bomber Under Consideration

CWOJackson
January 25th, 2010, 18:45
http://www.aviationweek.com/media/images/defense_images/Bombers/ngb-aft-JosefGatial.jpg

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/NGB122209.xml&headline=Classified%20Bomber%20Under%20Considerati on

tigisfat
January 25th, 2010, 19:25
Speculation always cracks me up.:kilroy:

Dain Arns
January 25th, 2010, 19:28
Even if that's not real, I like it. :icon_lol:

TARPSBird
January 25th, 2010, 20:13
Looks like somebody did a little origami with a sheet of B-2 plans. :d

Dain Arns
January 25th, 2010, 20:19
Kinda like a B-2 with a nose job. Looks like they just lengthened it.

Allen
January 25th, 2010, 21:36
Speculation always cracks me up.:kilroy:

I know. With satellites from evey major countries buzzing around I'm sure they know about the plane when it rolls out of the factory for the first time.

They even may know what to look for since I sure they have every radar range for small scale testing under watch too.

Toastmaker
January 26th, 2010, 02:57
Reminds me of a story I heard about some Congressman on the military appropriations committee who supposedly commented; "The Air Force is always asking for new bombers. Why? . . . have the people we've been bombing been complaining ?"

:salute:

jmig
January 26th, 2010, 03:41
I know. With satellites from evey major countries buzzing around I'm sure they know about the plane when it rolls out of the factory for the first time.

They even may know what to look for since I sure they have every radar range for small scale testing under watch too.

I don't know how it is now, but in Area 51, it is my understanding that they know exactly when the satellites are overhead. At that time everything is in the hangers.

kilo delta
January 26th, 2010, 05:19
I don't know how it is now, but in Area 51, it is my understanding that they know exactly when the satellites are overhead. At that time everything is in the hangers.

I think that this is the case for the PRC,Korea,Russia,Iran etc too :kilroy::icon_lol:

GT182
January 26th, 2010, 05:32

Yep, it's been that way ever since Red Eagles with the Migs at Tonopah. And that goes way back to the 70s.... they knew then just as they do now. ;)

Allen
January 26th, 2010, 10:45

Yeah and satellites can be made to say over it alot longer. What is the USAF going to do about it? "Plese move you satellites from are supper secret bomber hanger?":icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
January 26th, 2010, 11:13
heck they could always use a TEMPEST attack on it's control station :kilroy::kilroy:

Railrunner130
January 26th, 2010, 17:43
I'd rather see them restart B-2 production and get more out of the money they dumped into it's development.

tigisfat
January 26th, 2010, 18:11
I'd rather see them restart B-2 production and get more out of the money they dumped into it's development.

That's easier said than done. The B-2 is not capable of sustaining the bomber fleet. It's more of a specialized tool that can only be employed in small numbers. The cost of running a larger fleet would be astronomical. They are host to incredible maintenance problems and poor MC rates that wouldn't be simply fixed by upping the number of aircraft. I'd rather have a fleet of two squadrons with a few aircraft ready at any given time than none, but two have a handful of bomb wings flying a few hundred of them and only have 20 on tap at any given time would be simply wasteful. A new bomber like the B-2 is needed, and we need to retire the B-2, even though it is cool.

Brian Bigler
January 26th, 2010, 19:48
What, retire the B-2, then what will rumble my poor old house? You can always hear them long before you see them as they climb out of Whiteman.