PDA

View Full Version : Airdromes Guide - South West Pacific Area

gavinc
January 25th, 2010, 01:00
December 1, 1944
This publication is intended to provide airdrome data for airmen flying in the South-west Pacific Area. The primary objective is to provide sufficient detail to enable a pilot to orient himself having arrived in the general vicinity of his airdrome of destination to land.

I found this on my hard drive (can't remember where I originally got it from) and thought some of you might find it interesting.
It covers the following areas
Cairns Area, Cooktown Area, Horn Island Area, Darwin Area, Port Moresby Area, Milne Bay Area, Goodenough Island Area, Dobodura Area, Lae-Nadzab Area, Finschhafen Area, Cape Gloucester Area, Saidor Area, Tadji, Area, Russel Islands Area, Munda Area, Stirling Island Area, Bougainville Island (Torokina Area), Green Islands Area, Emirau Island Area, Admiralty Islands Area, Townsville Area, Hollandia Area, Wakde Island Area, Biak-Owi Islands Area, Noemfoor Island Area, Sansapor Area, Morotai Island Area

Here are images of the front page, introduction, Latitude Longditude guide to the bases and the page for Saidor area and Saidor airdrome to give you an idea of what information is included.

The full document is a 20 MB pdf and can be downloaded from this share
http://www.4shared.com/file/206735064/a58f6469/airbases_SWpacific.html

miamieagle
January 25th, 2010, 05:23
Thank you!:ernae:

sc7500
January 25th, 2010, 13:01
A Rare Gem made possible by the generosity of a Fellow Basement Dweller...

THANK YOU, Gavin ! :icon29:

SC
:kilroy:

Blue Devil
January 25th, 2010, 14:02
Wow!...

...Gold-mine.

Thanks.

Jean Bomber
January 25th, 2010, 15:55
Thanks Gavinc for the link :salute:
A very good source for built some new historical airfields :ernae:

JP

dvslats
January 25th, 2010, 16:59
Hi Gavinc,
It's very possible this file came from this thread. A very interesting website. Click on the 2nd link for the complete home page. :ernae:
There's also many good strike fotos. So grab them while the site is still active. They are starting to disappear as the member population is dwindling. For sites like these, our older vets are becoming far and few.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=11077

Dave

Arndt
January 25th, 2010, 22:14
Many thanks, very interesting ! :jump:

Arndt

gavinc
January 25th, 2010, 22:56
Hi Gavinc,
It's very possible this file came from this thread. A very interesting website. Click on the 2nd link for the complete home page. :ernae:
There's also many good strike fotos. So grab them while the site is still active. They are starting to disappear as the member population is dwindling. For sites like these, our older vets are becoming far and few.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=11077

Dave

Hi Dave,
Yep that must be where I originally got it, then grabbed it to my pc for future reference and forgot the original source.

There must be similar documents for the other areas, if only we could find them.

Gavin

Ghostrider
January 26th, 2010, 09:13
Super cool ,Gavinc! Great resource for VFR navigation. I love to use old maps, etc to find my way around! I have a National Geographic CD called the War Year Maps, some of which I have printed and taped together to use for navigation. I understand old Nat Geo maps were exactly what they had to use in the Pacific in the early years. Great find...