PDA

View Full Version : Any jeep around?

hubbabubba
January 24th, 2010, 20:08
Hello:wavey:

As I am about to release a «drivable» vintage WWII jeep for CFS1, I was curious to know if CFS2-3, FS2002-04 or FSX had one. If so, could you post some pics here and a brief description? I remember reading about a Vietnam-era jeep going around and a modern red one, but no WWII Willys-Overland or Ford.

This vehicle has foldable windshield, turning steering wheels and front wheels, black-out lights and headlights. It is an all-terrain vehicle capable of making Interlaken - Lucerne through the mountains.

This picture shows 2D and 3D driving position and two external views.

I would like to know if I'm making myself a liar if I was to state that this is the only WWII drivable jeep of all MS Flight Sims.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4139/teaser01.jpg

Willy
January 24th, 2010, 20:17
There was one by Bill Sponge for CFS 3. Bill Lyons did a civilian jeep for FS 2k2.

But yours does look good enough for the newer sims.

hubbabubba
January 24th, 2010, 20:25
There was one by Bill Sponge for CFS 3. Bill Lyons did a civilian jeep for FS 2k2.

But yours does look good enough for the newer sims.

Thanks for the compliment Willy. BTW- The second paragraph is missing on your post but appears when I'm quoting it... bizarre!:isadizzy:

The CFS3, I think, is the Vietnam era military CJ3. The civilian is also a more modern vehicle with crash bars, if I'm not mistaken again.

P.S.- And now, it does show the second paragraph!

Willy
January 24th, 2010, 21:43
The one in CFS3 was a default ground vehicle AI made driveable, so it should have been WWII issue. Bill Sponge made a bunch of those default ground vehicles driveable.

I had edited my original post to add the second sentence.

OBIO
January 24th, 2010, 21:44
Hubba hubba! That is one fine looking old Willy/Ford jeep.

Hubbabubba, there was someone working on a collection of WW2 era vehicles for CFS2 at one point....don't know if that collection included a WW2 era Jeep or not or if the collection has been completed....heck, I can't even remember who was working on them.

I can foresee your Jeep being pulled into CFS2 and put to use.

OBIO

hubbabubba
January 25th, 2010, 04:45
if
The one in CFS3 was a default ground vehicle AI made driveable, so it should have been WWII issue.

Then, this is one I'm not aware of. Any pictures?

I can foresee your Jeep being pulled into CFS2 and put to use.

I wouln't mind. This jeep was hand-coded with SCASM and has no z-bias. It is multi-resolution (4 LODs).

If CFS2 can «tolerate» it...:kilroy:

P.S.- Of course, I wouldn't mind if my copyrights are respected, which is without saying at SOH.

MCDesigns
January 25th, 2010, 05:14
That looks really good, would love to tool around in that in FSX, any chance of that happening?

fnkybnch
January 25th, 2010, 06:27
Gary Burns (Gary20) did one for Fs9. It's included in his Twinwood Farm scenery available here at SOH and flightsim.com.

Mark

Snuffy
January 25th, 2010, 06:28
That looks really good, would love to tool around in that in FSX, any chance of that happening?

I know someone, who with a little work, could have a whole set of FSX native ww2 vehicles to work and play with ...

HINT!

:bump:

hubbabubba
January 25th, 2010, 06:48
Gary Burns (Gary20) did one for Fs9. It's included in his Twinwood Farm scenery available here at SOH and flightsim.com.
Is it drivable?

I can't even play CFS2 on my machine...:icon_lol:

dogknot
January 25th, 2010, 07:24
Is it drivable?

It is drivable.

fs9_twinwood.zip
fsx_twinwood.zip

Twinwood Farm 1944 ================== Scenery ======= Twinwood Farm 1944 for FS9 made from Royal Airforce Museum maps and including 100% accurate period buildings and layouts for the airfield and communal areas. Includes AI Blenheims buzzing the airfield on touch and goes credit and thanks to Giovanni and Italo for allowing their use. It's all "As real as it gets" For GW3 users there is an AFCAD to allow the runways, taxiways and aprons to show correctly. History ======= Glenn Millers last takeoff is faithfully recreated in both AI form and through personal flight taking off from Twinwood for Villacoublay in France. The same flight route, date, time and weather as it was on that fatefull day of December 15th 1944 is recreated with flight and flightplan files. Brian Gladden has been generous enough to allow use of his Noorduyn Norseman to recreate this flight and I have created the flight plan and flights for the journey. Was his disapearance freindly fire from Allied bombers, bad weather or was the flight shot down by the Luftwaffe, take the flight and decide for yourself. Willy's Jeep ============ I have decided to release my Willy's Jeep model with this scenery. It's a great way to take in all the different sights around this airfield in period style and comfort. Includes suspension, folding windshield, animated steering wheel, animated front wheels and an animated driver all dressed up for the period. Two models are included, a hard top and an open version. Gary20 Gary Burns

hubbabubba
January 25th, 2010, 12:12
Good to know, dogknot. So I will limit my claim to CFS1.

robert41
January 25th, 2010, 16:20
Here is a very old US Army jeep by Jerry Arzdorf. Dated 1997. Works surprisingly well in FS9.

Francois
January 25th, 2010, 23:45
I'm a Jeep lover (so bad so that I am even driving one of the more modern variety) and always looking for WW2 models.. anywhere. Yours looks wonderful !!! We could use one in FSX for the Lysander package !

hubbabubba
January 26th, 2010, 03:44
Merci pour le compliment François,

My avatar clearly shows my colors, I am a CFS1 die-hard.

And even if I was not, my old PC would not let me forget it. It can barely play FS2000 and does not support CFS2.

If Jerry Arzdorf creations can wander in FS9 landscape, I suppose that someone could have my jeep transposed in FSX.

But the irony will be that I won't see it.:kilroy:

BTW- After this one is released, a version with a 50 cal on tripod will follow. Others to come.

Cazzie
January 26th, 2010, 04:25
But the irony will be that I won't see it.

Oh but you will, we folks at SOH will be sure that you do! :ernae::salute:

Caz

Navy Chief
January 26th, 2010, 05:12
I owned a 1945 Willys MB until 1999. Had to sell it to pay a divorce lawyer. That was one of the hardest things I've ever done; selling that jeep. It was completely restored, and painted exactly like the jeep in this thread. I even had a reproduction .30 caliber machine gun on a pedestal, mounted on it. The gun was propane and oxygen fired. No bullets, but fire would come out the muzzle about 6 inches, and the noise would deafen you, if you were'nt wearing ear plugs. That jeep was awesome. The sound of that 134 cubic inch engine was unmistakable. It ran like a sewing machine, and was tough as nails.

NC

Francois
January 26th, 2010, 22:55
Well,Chief. at least you HAD it... for me it is still nothing but a dream..... ;-)

But I know how that hurts. My very first 4WD (and remember, this is Europe!), was an old Toyota Landcruiser BJ40...... I had to sell it eventually because we didn't earn anough money to pay the exorbitant Dutch road taxes on it... THAT hurt too :USA-flag:

hubbabubba
January 27th, 2010, 03:55
Sorry for the divorce and the jeep, not necessarily in that order, Navy Chief :kilroy:...

Happy you like the paint job, especially when it comes from someone who had the real deal in front of his own eyes once. When I was searching for the right color to apply, I didn't knew in what heated debate I was stumbling. Vintage jeep owners are almost at each others throats to get the right shade of OD. Plastic modelers are not helping.

Were you using the glossy finish or the real gasoline base pigment mix?

Although markings and unit are spurious, it follows strictly the regulations of the time. The unit is our squad, the AAC, an the serial number is partly my birthday:icon_lol:. Shipping placard, tire pressure indications, everything that the scale permits is in there (no F stamping on the rivets, as it is a GPW with some Willy's parts).

It's not because it's CFS1 that it has to be cartoonesque.

The sound of that 134 cubic inch engine was unmistakable.

If anyone could point me to good vintage jeep sounds, I would appreciate. I went to YouTube and got some low regime - standing still Go Devil engines, but high revs without clanking and wind, not to mention talks-over, are tough to find. Up until a few days ago, stock P-51D sound was on it.

BTW - in case you wonder - I don't have a jeep, vintage or not. In fact, I never owned a motor vehicle of any sort and never learn to drive. When I had the money to buy one, I had no use for it and when I would have needed one, I had no money. The story of my life in a nutshell...:mixedsmi:

Snuffy
January 27th, 2010, 05:26
... If anyone could point me to good vintage jeep sounds, I would appreciate. ...

One possible solution for you Hubbabubba ... keep your eyes open for a local airshow that supports a ww2 military re-enactment group. They may have a Willis there that they might let you record.

Good luck.

hubbabubba
February 1st, 2010, 08:59
Did the best next thing, Snuffy; went to YouTube, sampled Go Devil's being tested, remastered them and, along with wind, real jeep horn, and creaking suspension, got myself a pretty decent sound file.

Jeep was released yesterday evening and is "showcased" HERE (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=30948)

n4gix
February 1st, 2010, 09:36
It's truly a work of art. Too bad it ain't an FSX model though! :ernae: