PDA

View Full Version : How many people have read Martin Caidin?

crashaz
January 23rd, 2010, 21:50
I have read many of his books... something lead to me searching and I saw his name.... I have Ragged Rugged Warriors 2nd print (excellent read) and judging by the list of books... I have also read

Thunderbolt
Black Thursday
The Last Dogflight

Dad and I shared a love of aviation and books... so as I kid I would get to read the books after him.... loved those books!

Still love the smell of books.:icon_lol:

In later years... I would see aviation books and buy them... not open it... take it home to Dad... and then let him read it first so he could give it back to me... just as it always was. :salute:

Going to have to start collecting all of Caidin's aviation work.

Jagdflieger
January 24th, 2010, 02:20
Didn't Martin Caidin also co author "Samurai" with Saburo Saki?

I have his book on the P-38 at home. I meant to bring it with me for reading material on this trip, but I managed to forget it.

I did remember a book on airplane engine development by Bill Gunston. He is also a very prolific author on military topics.

My dad and I also exchange books on aviation, astronomy and naval topics. In fact, a new book is almost always the solution for his birthday gift or Christmas gift.

Cazzie
January 24th, 2010, 02:29
Not only read him, knew him. Been drunk with him, November 1982, Gainesville, FLA. On board his personal Ju-52. Got some slides somewhere. Had a hoot, flew to Daytona Beach for the IMSA Finale races. I was shooting for NASCAR then, knew some folks. Martin was a "character". :ernae: :engel016:

Caz

norab
January 24th, 2010, 10:27
Read just about all his stuff, Flying Forts is excellent. he did some sci-fi stuff too and a coffetable book about his Ju-52

PRB
January 24th, 2010, 12:15
I have most of his books! Good stuff. There is a story in Fork Tailed Devil about a P-38, missing from a combat mission, that arrived over its African based hours after it should have run out of gas. It crashed just as it got over the base. People ran to the rescue to find the pilot, dead, and the fuel tanks bone dry... Years later I read someplace that Mr. Caidin was a big believer in things "occult-ish", you know, UFOs, crop circles, ESP, and such...

My favorite Martin Caidin book? Whip! A great novel about a B-25 unit in the Pacific. Based somewhat loosely on the 3RD Attack Group's exploits. It's a great read!

jmig
January 24th, 2010, 14:27
I read everything the local library had on the shelf. He was an early mentor for me in aviation.

Hals und Bein Bruch
January 24th, 2010, 19:09
ANYBODY growing up airminded in the 60s or 70s ran across MC sooner or later...great writer for the times...:icon29: