PDA

View Full Version : Rare Hamilton Metalplane - Auction Coverage

Bomber_12th
January 23rd, 2010, 12:09
For those who get the SPEED channel, you'll know that the Barrett-Jackson auction is currently being covered live, and I thought I would provide a heads-up, that it appears the extremely rare 1929 Hamilton Metalplane will be auctioned off sometime this evening possibly, or tomorrow, as its lot number, 1307, approaches. I've lived practically next door to this aircraft all of my life, so it will definitely seem strange to see it go, but it will certainly be interesting to see how much it fetches.

For details on the aircraft, there are a number of websites, but this seems like a good start: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=304&ln=1307&pop=0&it=1

As I would assume that it will fly out of Fleming Field, where it has been sitting since the 70's, I would love nothing more than to be on hand to see it fly again.

Drzook
January 23rd, 2010, 17:57
SOLD!!! For $610,000.00. Not bad for a plane that originally listed for around $25,000 or so back in the day:kilroy:

Bomber_12th
January 23rd, 2010, 19:06
Yes, finally it was on, and the price was right where I suspected it would be. I know I saw it up for sale a while back for about $1-mil, but it never sold. It was actually quite surreal to see such a closely connected, 'hometown' airplane, presented on national broadcasting, having sat in it, and poked around it since my first interest in aviation as a very young child. Now I'm just curious as to who obtained it, and where it will be going from here.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Parked at its current home, only the 'real' vintage airplane enthusiasts had ever heard of such an aircraft before, and if it goes to a well-known museum, that would be amazing, as now hopefully many people will become aware of this one-of-a-kind beauty.<o:p></o:p>