PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration - pros & cons ?

guzler
January 23rd, 2010, 01:04
Hi guys,

New PC should be here next week, so toying with the idea of getting acceleration. PC will be on Win7 64bit running on an I7. I have heard some problems, but what exactly do you get in acceleration over the standard game and what potential problems do people encounter as oppose to just installing SP2 as I currently have ?

Thanks

Neil

IanP
January 23rd, 2010, 01:28
It contains SP2, so has exactly the same problems. That's it for downsides.

Regarding what new things you get, that means a P-51D Racer (not a warbird - very different), the EH101 Merlin Helicopter with winch and line ops support and the F/A-18A Hornet with proper carrier ops apart from instrument approach capability to the deck. You also get a bit more scenery and a whole bunch more missions.

It's not perfect by any means, but there is much more good than bad - almost no bad at all if you are already using SP2.

http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/Microsoft_Acceleration_review.htm

BladeRun
January 23rd, 2010, 01:43
I also have Win7 64 bit and installed Acceleration shortly after getting the laptop. Some of the add-ons include 3 new aircraft: F/A-18, P-51 Mustang (racing version) and the EH-101 helo. There are also some new race courses, as well as new missions.

I haven't had any problems with it running on my laptop yet *fingers crossed*

guzler
January 23rd, 2010, 02:03
Thanks guys. I haven't had any problems with SP2. One of the reasons I want it is a few freeware planes such as Dino's amazing Tomcat need the acceleration HUD functions I believe, and the Hornet looks great too.

IanP
January 23rd, 2010, 02:48
The Hornet's VC is very nice indeed. The exterior model is also nice, but there are some visual bugs with how it sits on the ground (nose low when it should be nose high, main gear struts don't compress anywhere near as much as they should). The low-speed flight dynamics are a bit iffy as well and some people have major issues with it's handling on the runway after landing. None of those translate across to freeware aircraft that use the functionality.

cheezyflier
January 23rd, 2010, 04:51
there are fixes for the bugs with the hornet. i don't remember what they are because i installed them a year ago and now i forget what i did.

like i always say
if i can run it on my computer (which is kind of a glorified etch-a-sketch)
then anyone can. and should. talk to the guys at hover control if you plan to fly the eh-101 missions.

GT182
January 23rd, 2010, 07:11
To be honest I've not run the Hornet. But, I've had no problems with Acceleration installed. My computer runs it all just fine, even with all the Freeware and Payware installed. I actually think FSX/SP2/Acceleration runs better than FS9 on my pc.

XP Home 32 bit
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe mobo
Stock P4 3.2E CPU
2Gb DDR2 Ram
XFX 6800XTreme 256Mb DDR3 GFX card... always thought this was a 512Mb card until I just dug the box out. :redface:
2 200Gb SATA HDDs.

I don't understand why those with better computers than mine have so much trouble. ????

spotlope
January 23rd, 2010, 07:35
I think someone posted a new set of contact points for the Hornet that fixes its stance a while back. Can't remember offhand who or when, but it's out there somewhere in Google-land.

IanP
January 23rd, 2010, 07:51
I just copied the ones from the Captain Sim F/A-18D and they worked fine. Didn't stop the shenanigans on landing, though.

Kavehpd
January 23rd, 2010, 15:57
Have not had a single problem with Acceleration. Installed it on the day it was released. The only con: it's not free compared to SP2.

Stratocruiser
January 23rd, 2010, 22:52
Another plus with having Acceleration is that it enables turbo superchargers in FSX. The A2A B377 Stratocruiser for example has working superchargers if you have Acceleration. Otherwise, the turbo supercharger controls in the B377 don't do anything.

Carey

CG_1976
January 23rd, 2010, 22:53
If it were not for Acceleration, id miss out on all of Master Piglets creations.

guzler
January 24th, 2010, 05:03
If it were not for Acceleration, id miss out on all of Master Piglets creations.

Why ?

Ferry_vO
January 24th, 2010, 05:06
Why ?

Because some of his aircraft (An-32, Tucano, A-12 etc.) use the MFD from the Acceleration F-18.

arrowmaker
January 24th, 2010, 12:59
I always make the mistake of assuming that everyone who has FSX also has Acceleration. In all honesty I can't understand why anyone wouldn't have it. More and more models are now being released which require it to be installed. Take Mike's Super Cub's, for example. For them to work, without issue, you need Acceleration.

Bjoern
January 24th, 2010, 13:11
In all honesty I can't understand why anyone wouldn't have it.

Still too expensive; no need for the extra content.

IanP
January 24th, 2010, 13:16
Still too expensive; no need for the extra content.

Anything that isn't free is too expensive for you, though, isn't it? :p:

empeck
January 24th, 2010, 13:40
Carriers support alone is worth the price for me.

Bjoern
January 24th, 2010, 13:43
Anything that isn't free is too expensive for you, though, isn't it? :p:

Essential payware list:
Active Sky X -> Provides weather
Ultimate Terrain X -> Provides accurate ground for a large area
Radar Contact 4 -> Provides ATC

Now how is Acceleration essential for me as a tube driver if it models mostly piston engine dynamics, has air racing and carrier ops enhancements and provides a winch for helos?

If it comes to FSX add-ons I always compare costs with benefits. The best payware is useless to me if I only fly it twice a year.
With freeware it doesn't matter how often I fly it since those regrets that my money would have been better spent for other, more serious things don't pop up in my mind.

So as long as there's no interesting tubes requiring Acceleration I won't buy it. Over and out.

Bjoern
January 24th, 2010, 13:48
Carriers support alone is worth the price for me.

Can by emulated by Arrcab or else for Non-SP2 users.

However, there's a distinct lack of carrier aircraft not relying on the F-18's MFDs. :blind:

- Edit: Sorry for the Double Whopper.

SkippyBing
January 24th, 2010, 14:21
However, there's a distinct lack of carrier aircraft not relying on the F-18's MFDs.

Err... I can think of a few, Corsair, Hellcat, Wyvern to name three. If you only fly tubes maybe I can see the point of not having acceleration but otherwise these days it's available for less than a round of drinks. Personally it's a must have due to the carrier ops support, Arrcab just doesn't cut it for me when there's core program support available.

empeck
January 24th, 2010, 14:25
Can by emulated by Arrcab or else for Non-SP2 users.

Not for moving carriers, and that won't work with ILS and TACAN for F/A-18 HUD, or AIcarriers.

Bjoern
January 24th, 2010, 18:51
Err... I can think of a few, Corsair, Hellcat, Wyvern to name three.

"Freeware only" would leave your Wyvern and that Gannet.

If you only fly tubes maybe I can see the point of not having acceleration but otherwise these days it's available for less than a round of drinks.

Ebay says at least 25€s (new) which translates into one and a half parties here...which would probably equal two rounds of drinks somewhere else.

Not for moving carriers, and that won't work with ILS and TACAN for F/A-18 HUD, or AIcarriers.

Ah.
I haven't looked into it that closely.

SkippyBing
January 24th, 2010, 23:43
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> If you only fly tubes maybe I can see the point of not having acceleration but otherwise these days it's available for less than a round of drinks. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Ebay says at least 25€s (new) which translates into one and a half parties here...which would probably equal two rounds of drinks somewhere else.

Amazon.co.uk has it new from £12:80 which is reasonable* round of drinks where I am!

*Assuming 4 people none of whom are having a soft drink. Is there an industry standard for this sort of thing?

Rich
January 25th, 2010, 00:16
Freeware now includes the Flying Stations Swordfish, if you are prepared to accept very good non FSX native that as far as I am concerned are perfectly ok there are the the AH Seafires, AH Sea Hurricanes, Mr Ito's Scimitar and the Freeware AS Buccaneer plus a few others that I use with Acceleration

Sorry Missed Steve Beeny's very nice Sea Hawk.

Bjoern
January 25th, 2010, 06:41
Amazon.co.uk has it new from £12:80 which is reasonable* round of drinks where I am!

This translates into 15€s, which is a bit less than my average night out.

*Assuming 4 people none of whom are having a soft drink. Is there an industry standard for this sort of thing?

I don't know, but I think there should be.

After all at least the DIN (deutsche Industrienorm - german industry standard) has standards for just about every physical aspect of the human body. So why not create a standard for alocohol prices? :icon_lol:

Freeware now includes the Flying Stations Swordfish, if you are prepared to accept very good non FSX native that as far as I am concerned are perfectly ok there are the the AH Seafires, AH Sea Hurricanes, Mr Ito's Scimitar and the Freeware AS Buccaneer plus a few others that I use with Acceleration

Sorry Missed Steve Beeny's very nice Sea Hawk.

I was limiting myself to native birds but yes, if you count in portovers you have a decently sized pool to choose from.