PDA

View Full Version : I went solo yesterday.

SirBenn21
January 22nd, 2010, 19:17
I actually stopped after about 20 hours of training last year in May '09 due to various reasons.
Ever since I've been pining like hell to get back into the swing of things.
Yesterday I decided that I had enough and told the missus I'm going up for a joy ride just to cure some of the "pain" of not flying.
I phoned up the school and booked a ride for the afternoon. When I arrived I was happy to see my old instructor was available to take me up. He promptly sent me out to do my pre-flight.
After a small brief we were on the taxiway on our way to runway 27.
The first circuit was atrocious. :redface: It was like I was a complete new newbie. I even landed short of the threshold, which was swiftly addressed by my instructor who made it quite clear he was not impressed. He to my surprise really worked me hard and I quickly improved each circuit to the point I was enjoying it now again. We also did a "loss of power" emergency landing. It was just like old times. :naturesm:
Finally he told me to make a "full stop" on the next landing. It was a greaser! :wiggle:
We came to a stop and he asked me to backtrack (It was a quiet afternoon) all the way to the threshold. I started to get suspicious. Surly he wouldn't! I haven't flown in 7 months I told myself! :icon_eek:
Sure enough. I got the solo brief. Do this, don't do that, go around if you are not sure etc. And out he jumped! :icon_eek:
Heart pounding a little I pushed the throttle to full and was soon up in the air.
Man what a feeling. Difficult to describe. Everything went really well. Even the landing. I had to also give the victory HEeeeHAaaaa when safely back on the ground. I was elated. :icon29:

Ben

glennc
January 22nd, 2010, 19:20
Congratulations. You will remember this day for the rest of your life! :applause::medals::salute:

Glenn

MCDesigns
January 22nd, 2010, 19:23
Awesome man, congrats!! :ernae::ernae:

MenendezDiego
January 22nd, 2010, 19:23
There is no greater feeling! Congrats

Curtis P40
January 22nd, 2010, 19:25
:applause::applause: Congratulations. I don't think there's another feeling in the world like your first solo, especially after a 7 month layoff :applause:
Curt:kilroy:

N2056
January 22nd, 2010, 19:27
Way Cool!
:salute:

SirBenn21
January 22nd, 2010, 19:27
Thanks all.

jetstreamsky
January 22nd, 2010, 19:38
Congratulations, well done, a moment you'll never forget

spotlope
January 22nd, 2010, 19:55
Congrats, Ben! I remember my first solo like it was yesterday. It's nice to hear that laying off for a while doesn't completely wreck your skills. One of these days, I plan to get back in the cockpit and finish up that PPL. Good work! :salute:

cheezyflier
January 22nd, 2010, 20:18
great news! congratulations!!!!:applause:

wantok
January 22nd, 2010, 20:22
Congrats Sir Ben. It is indeed a rewarding journey for you, ...from humble civil servant, to knighthood to solo-hood. :salute: Hang in there to make the PPL. We're rooting for you, bud.:ernae:

PeteHam
January 22nd, 2010, 20:27
Congratulations Ben :applause:

It's a moment you'll always remember :jump:

I still remember mine from way back in the mid 60's :icon_lol:

Pete.

RyanJames170
January 22nd, 2010, 20:29
cool man

Scratch
January 22nd, 2010, 21:13
Congrats!!!:ernae:

SirBenn21
January 22nd, 2010, 21:23
Thanks again.

Yip. I can't wait to get back in the cockpit again.

TheOptimist
January 22nd, 2010, 21:37
You got 10 degrees of flap there? Short runway I take it?

Then again you are taking off with the wind!

deathfromafar
January 22nd, 2010, 21:38
Congrats SirBenn21! I remember my first solo nearly 20 years back. Your description of your solo nearly mirror my own memories. Following tradition, I hope like hell you weren't wearing your favorite shirt??? I gave my cut shirt back to my Father which he had framed.

Best of luck to you in the remainder of your primary training. Keep safe and I will pass you only one piece of advice of 4 words that were given to me by Pilots both family and friends alike, "When in doubt, don't!" You will know what I mean by that if you follow your training and ever see or feel anything isn't right.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

bstolle
January 22nd, 2010, 21:44
Wow, no sim comes even close to the experience of a 'real' SOLO flight!
Congratulations, and for the first few hours....keep the blue side up :)

Regards

Bernt

IanHenry
January 22nd, 2010, 22:22
Congratulations. :173go1:

Ian.

Lotus
January 22nd, 2010, 22:44
Congrats Ben. :) It's the most special of all flights, and indeed you'll remember every second of it with a smile.

Cheers.

-Mike

guzler
January 23rd, 2010, 01:16
Wel done Ben. I Can feel your excitement as I still remember mine with more clarity than losing my cherry LOL !!!!

chaders
January 23rd, 2010, 02:04
Well done mate!! You'll never forget it, I can testify to that!!

JamesChams
January 23rd, 2010, 02:12
Congradulations :applause:, and welcome to our elite Club of Aviators:engel016:

:salute:

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

SirBenn21
January 23rd, 2010, 03:25
You got 10 degrees of flap there? Short runway I take it?

Then again you are taking off with the wind!

Not quite. Note the other windsock. Wind was flapping windsock around below 5 knots and 10' flap is also just standard practice at the school

Ben

gajit
January 23rd, 2010, 04:20
Well done Ben - it always flies better without an instructor!! :salute:

jmig
January 23rd, 2010, 04:38
Congratulations. You will remember this day for the rest of your life! :applause::medals::salute:

Glenn

This is so true. I still remember my first sole in 1965. I can even recall the feelings that I had when I broke ground.

Bjoern
January 23rd, 2010, 09:21
I'm green with envy. I hope I can post a thread just like that in a few years once I have the money for a PPL.

But until then:
Congratulations! :ernae:

pbearsailor
January 23rd, 2010, 10:36
Congrats m8!! Like so many have said, you'll never ever forget that day. Mine is still vivid in my memory even though it was 35 years ago. :ernae:

steve