PDA

View Full Version : Yak-25 Flashlight

Rockster234
January 22nd, 2010, 18:19
Yak-25 Flashlight........

I enjoyed this plane over at ThirdWire -Wings Over Europe/Wings Over Vietnam/Strike Fighters.

I looked........but I don't think it has been done in CFS2 or FS9

If it existed.......I'd put it in..........but it doesn't so.........

Something to look at.............

The bignose........aka NATO designation "Flashlight" .......has something to do with electronic surveillance/radar.......illumination of information

Jagdflieger
January 22nd, 2010, 19:03
What would Jimmy "Schnozolla" Durante say about the Flashlight?

"What a schnoz!"

Oglivie
January 22nd, 2010, 19:20
:icon_lol: Yak-25 Schnozolla :icon_lol:

Seriously...
I think the Flashlight code name was a bit underrated...I remember reading somewhere that the microwave radiation from a MiG-25 radar (when switched-on on the ground) killed rabbits that wandered to close to the nose of the aircraft. Precursor to the microwave oven.
:pop4:

tonybones2112
January 22nd, 2010, 21:06
:icon_lol: Yak-25 Schnozolla :icon_lol:

Seriously...
I think the Flashlight code name was a bit underrated...I remember reading somewhere that the microwave radiation from a MiG-25 radar (when switched-on on the ground) killed rabbits that wandered to close to the nose of the aircraft. Precursor to the microwave oven.
:pop4:

That was Viktor Belynko, who defected to the West with his Mig 25. Ground crew were forbidden to turn the radar on while the plne was on the ground, it would kill rabbits at something like 300 meters. The radar was designed to "burn through" any airborne radar jamming.

Bonesky

Oglivie
January 22nd, 2010, 21:20
That was Viktor Belynko, who defected to the West with his Mig 25. Ground crew were forbidden to turn the radar on while the plne was on the ground, it would kill rabbits at something like 300 meters. The radar was designed to "burn through" any airborne radar jamming.

Bonesky

Yep, thats the one! My uncle lent me the book to read years ago. Very interesting book. Thanks for the info.

TARPSBird
January 22nd, 2010, 22:27
A Yak-28 Firebar/Brewer would also be nice in CFS2, or at least in FS9 convertible to CFS2. The Russians used them for over 30 years.

Rockster234
January 23rd, 2010, 12:24
My first reaction to the large proboscis.....................

NATO should redesignate Yak-25 Underdog................

I would probably just do both Yak-25 and 28 in fsds........if I had the permission to use this computer for design work.

But............Jets in CFS2 have thier serious quirks.

I like Third Wire.......WOE/WOV.............except for the lack of ground targets (it was designed for high altitude)......

CFS2 exceeds WOE/WOV on the scenery ground/infrastructure........

Here is a shot of the Underdog Variant.........never fear............Yak-25 is here!

Oglivie
January 23rd, 2010, 18:03
Interesting aircraft....some info I've read....

First flown in 1953, was a night and all-weather interceptor armed with cannon and later modified to carry air-to-air missiles. Further mods in development led to the Yak-25RD Mandrake long-range recon platforms, with a mid-high wing without sweep and having twice the span as the original swept wing. Roughly in the class of the long-span Marin B-57 high-altitude platforms.

Rockster234
January 23rd, 2010, 23:21
Single Seat Variant ...........