PDA

View Full Version : Next Apple World Event

Lionheart
January 21st, 2010, 17:25
Well, its another year gone by and the next World Apple Event is to occur in just a few more days; Jan. 27th 2010...

Planned releases are iPhone OS 4.0, iLife next version, and the new, supposedly revolutionary Tablet which has been awaited for about 2 years now. They have done a very good job also at keeping it secret...

More here; http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/01/18/apple-tablet-iphone-launch-confirmed-january/

Man... Why does time seem to slow down when you seem to be impatient on something coming up...

Lionheart
January 21st, 2010, 17:40
There are some interesting 'rumour' pictures going around. If you google Apple Tablet, you find a zillion tidbits..

The second one is the CEO of nVidia, a name that I cannot begin to pronounce nor spell, I think Korean. He may be leaking the actual tablet in that photo. (may... only a rumour.. I doubt it though as he could be risking his bond with Apple).

The first one looks cool. If you could hold it on a stand and use a keyboard and mouse, that would be pretty darn awesome...

Especially with wireless controls..

Bill

Chacha
January 21st, 2010, 17:56
Apple Tablet...

A huge iPod thingy....

Cool! :ernae:

Wittpilot
January 21st, 2010, 17:56
Any idea what is going to be on the iPhone software update Bill? BTW, did you see my post about the video app for the 3G?

Lionheart
January 21st, 2010, 20:50
Hey WittPilot,

Yep. Saw your post. That is a very cool App. I wish Apple had launched that with the updates..

Negative, no idea what the new iPhone OS will have.

Apple has become pretty secure about their secrets. I would be curious to know myself...

Bill

JorisVandenBerghe
January 22nd, 2010, 05:02
Funny that rumours are going about another version of iLife. There has been an update somewhere in December last year IIRC (at least updating iPhoto, not sure about the rest since I barely use iPhoto - pretty cool application though!).

I'm curious to see what they are going to come up with. I assume they won't let me update my version of iLife to the latest :kilroy: ?

MCDesigns
January 22nd, 2010, 05:45
Hey Bill, you'll need one of these for the event, all the cool kids are wearing them.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6039/appleshiret.jpg

LOL, just kidding with you, should be interesting, especially any new tech. When Apple comes out with anything new, the rest of the world follows, so that's a plus for us non Apple users.

Lionheart
January 22nd, 2010, 07:47
Hey Bill, you'll need one of these for the event, all the cool kids are wearing them.

LOL, just kidding with you, should be interesting, especially any new tech. When Apple comes out with anything new, the rest of the world follows, so that's a plus for us non Apple users.

Its fun for me. I am a total enthusiast on them now, so anything new from them catches my attention, though my wallet only allows me to go so far concerning purchasing. arrghh..

I am a Technology freak. Not so much owning techno gizmo's, but knowing about things, keeping up with knowing whats out and where Humanity is going in the techno world. Apple seem to be leaders (my humble opinion) in the world of computers.

I'm curious to see what they are going to come up with. I assume they won't let me update my version of iLife to the latest ?

JorisVandenBerghe

I have no idea Joris. I still have iLife 08, but updated to iWork 09 as I really needed that.

At only $75.00 for the multi-pack of iWork or iLife, its a steal, at least for me. Compared with $250.00 fore 'each' section from the competitor, I'll take it. It would be nice though if they did offer a modest amount to update a single package segment, like iPhoto. Some of us never use certain programs, so I can see how that could be good for alot of people....

Man... Six... LONG.... Days....! arrghh... arrgh argh.. ack! :isadizzy:

Bill

JorisVandenBerghe
January 22nd, 2010, 08:40
It's the same with me, I'm anxiously awaiting PMA, second half of February...I'm really hoping Sony (with Apple lacking DSLRs I had to get a DSLR of the next coolest brand :icon_lol:...;) ) will come up with their A750.

I agree about their prices. It's the same with Adobe Lightroom and Aperture 2. Here it costs € 50 more or so for LR. And Aperture can do nearly the same...there is talk of a new version of Aperture as well by the way: Aperture X...

Lionheart
January 22nd, 2010, 08:46
Apperture looks like a cool program.

Have you seen Final Cut Studio? Watch some of the tutorials on that.. Amazing program. I want that bad for my business for advertising mini movies and tutorials. Its either $200.00 or $400.00 which is much more affordable then what Adobe offer, which is about 10 times that.

Their animation of photo components is pretty brilliant...

Bill

JorisVandenBerghe
January 22nd, 2010, 09:27
Apple really makes great stuff. I'm not into film editing at all, but Final Cut Studio is really impressive indeed. I'm always astonished by what those guys at Apple create.

They make my virtual life a lot easier in my opinion - at least, when it comes to computers, that is :applause:.

Kiwikat
January 22nd, 2010, 09:32
Apple seem to be leaders (my humble opinion) in the world of computers.

:mixedsmi:

That's why their hardware continues to follow behind the PC market by anywhere from 6-24 months?

Apple's designs might be revolutionary, but the hardware most definitely isn't. They are lucky there is a market for "shiny stuff". :salute:

P.S. APPLE, MAKE A NETBOOK!!! :running:

JorisVandenBerghe
January 22nd, 2010, 09:47
Aren't they using i5's and i7's in the current 27" iMacs ? You're right about the design - I have seen a lot of laptops on the train between my hometown and Brussels so far (where my school is) and yet have to see one that beats the MacBook or MacBook Pro when it comes to design...except for Sony's VAIOs which are among the nicest Windows laptops in my humble opinion.

I am a Technology freak. Not so much owning techno gizmo's, but knowing about things, keeping up with knowing what's out and where Humanity is going in the techno world. Apple seem to be leaders (in my humble opinion) in the world of computers.
Hmm, I'm about the same, but I'm all about DSLRs and lenses :icon_lol:.

P.S: Will, are you 'online' ?

Lionheart
January 22nd, 2010, 13:17
:mixedsmi:

That's why their hardware continues to follow behind the PC market by anywhere from 6-24 months?

Apple's designs might be revolutionary, but the hardware most definitely isn't. They are lucky there is a market for "shiny stuff". :salute:

P.S. APPLE, MAKE A NETBOOK!!! :running:

Oh c'mon KK,

You can trash them better then that! Go for it man! If youre just trying to hurt peoples feelings who like apple, you'll need to work harder at it.

I own one, so I can know where exactly you are coming from.

:icon29:

Bill

Kiwikat
January 22nd, 2010, 13:44
My goal is to hurt apple users' feelings as much as your goal is to hurt PC users' feelings. :mixedsmi: :ernae:

The fact remains that you can buy new parts for a "PC" much earlier and cheaper than you can for a Mac. For example, the GTX 285 was available for PC 5-6 months prior to the date it was available for Macs. It was also around 100-150 dollars cheaper than the Mac version. You can't really deny this, as it is fact. Though Apple is keeping up much better than they were even two years ago. Maybe that has to do with increased sales?

I'm not entirely against Macs. Like I've been saying for a while now, I'd LOVE a Mac netbook. They just don't seem to want to target the 300-400 dollar computer market though. I'd pay 5-600 dollars for a Mac netbook.

However, when it comes to their desktops, they will always seem overpriced and behind the technology to me, regardless how "pretty" their designs are. The hardware behind the white and silver colored plastic (and now giant touch screens) will always be behind the latest stuff you can find in "PC"'s- unless somehow their market share in computers octuples in the next ten years, which I see as being highly unlikely.

No reason to keep discussing this though, as it is like talking to Win XP, X-Plane, FS9, and well, Mac fans all at once. I'd probably get further if I talked about computers with my cat. :engel016:

harleyman
January 22nd, 2010, 15:18
Now this is FUNNY

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6039/appleshiret.jpg

Lionheart
January 22nd, 2010, 16:47
I wish I was better at code design. I am really interested in creating Apps. I guess I could always hire an App designer.

That App that SimMarket has is brilliant.

One of the rumours is that the Tablet will be able to run Apps, which I doubt unless its small, as the resolution for the Apps is very small.

Bill

Kiwikat
January 22nd, 2010, 18:31
I wish I was better at code design. I am really interested in creating Apps. I guess I could always hire an App designer.

What language do they require you to code in? It'd be cool if you could use VB or C# for it. :kilroy:

EDIT: It looks like XCode won't work on Linux. So much for that lol. It would have been fun messing around with coding my iPod.

Anyone got an app for running windows applications? LOL

Cratermaker
January 22nd, 2010, 18:49
No reason to keep discussing this though, as it is like talking to Win XP, X-Plane, FS9, and well, Mac fans all at once. I'd probably get further if I talked about computers with my cat. :engel016:

I had to quote this line for future reference, JUST in case... :engel016:

What language do they require you to code in? It'd be cool if you could use VB or C# for it. :kilroy:

It's called objective C. I haven't looked in to it to deeply though. A VERY brief summary of how it is different from ANSI C can be found here:

http://developer.apple.com/Mac/library/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/Articles/ocLanguageSummary.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30001163-CH3-SW1

Lionheart
January 22nd, 2010, 23:43
Four more days....... arrgh.. A test of patience.

I got one of these the other day. Finally.. I have wanted one for ages. None out though that are really designed for the dash. Only the windscreen or cigarrette lighter.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31JfB20LozL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

My holder is slightly different. It doesnt have the curved arm. I think mine is Griffen. Not sure.

Bill

Lionheart
January 24th, 2010, 00:40
3 More days.....

arrgh....

I was just reading in my iMac help files that it seems Time Machine backs up iTunes as well! So far, my dedicated Time Machine drive (external HD) has 240+ gigs of data stored so far.

I didnt know it could store iTunes. Very nice. (Nor did I know it stores iTunes automatically). Thats probably all iTunes that are stored in it, lol.. I have a ton of Podcasts on my Mac drive.

<--- rambling...

Lionheart
January 25th, 2010, 22:07
2 days....

Lionheart
January 26th, 2010, 23:01
Less then a day... Tomorrow morning.. :d

This was just on Yahoo;

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100127/tc_nm/us_apple_tablet

They do not think the Apple Tablet will be as powerful as a hit as many think.

We'll see. heh...

Kiwikat
January 27th, 2010, 06:01
3 more hours until people can finally stop speculating...

...until the next gadget comes around.

Honestly I don't see this thing taking off like Apple hopes, especially if it requires yet ANOTHER data plan. People already have iPhones, iPods, and eBook readers, alongside their laptop of choice. How is there room for a non-portable tablet in the market? Updating the MBP to an i5-i7 platform (without increasing prices!) would be a much bigger announcement, IMHO.

I guess we'll find out in 3 more hours.

Chacha
January 27th, 2010, 06:04
3 more hours until people can finally stop speculating...

...until the next gadget comes around.

Honestly I don't see this thing taking off like Apple hopes, especially if it requires yet ANOTHER data plan. People already have iPhones, iPods, and eBook readers, alongside their laptop of choice. How is there room for a non-portable tablet in the market? Updating the MBP to an i5-i7 platform (without increasing prices!) would be a much bigger announcement, IMHO.

I guess we'll find out in 3 more hours.

Let us see what they (Apple) can offer, Will!

Be patient...... be very patient..... :icon_lol:

Lionheart
January 27th, 2010, 11:09
Well Apple Enthusiasts! They released it.

Introducing the new iPad by Apple...

:d

<--- off to watch the video

http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video

Chacha
January 27th, 2010, 11:14
...iPad...

watching... :jump:

@ $499.00

I want one!

Lionheart
January 27th, 2010, 11:33
Here are a couple of screenshots of the new device.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4309275045_9f57020204_o.png

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4310011022_ac5ed13c1e_o.png

You can play all of your (or most) of your present iPod / iPhone games and Apps.

:d

I thought that was pretty cool. One huge game device, lol..

JorisVandenBerghe
January 27th, 2010, 11:33
It's amazing what you can do with it. It simply does what others can't...e-mail, internet, e-books, music, videos, photos,...

Nice work Apple :medals:.

It is great, but wouldn't want to spend $ 500 on it...although my opinion may be subject to change in the future, haha :icon_lol:.

stiz
January 27th, 2010, 11:37
YAIT

"yet another i thingi" :173go1:

Kiwikat
January 27th, 2010, 11:37
Well after reading up on the "iPad", my opinion doesn't change a whole lot. I don't know how it is so different from other devices that do the same thing. Apple is king at multimedia devices though, so it will probably succeed. The prices aren't as bad as I thought either. It is nice no 3G data plans are required.

Among college students it will be a hit, especially if textbook makers get on the bandwagon.

If they were to somehow release a mobile version of aperture, it would be a very handy tool for photographers out in the field too.

However... It is a shame there was no new MB/MBP announced. The other laptops on the market are really going to gain on apple as far as hardware technology goes. The new Vaio CW and HP Envy are both cheaper than the macbook and macbook pro respectively and offer considerably more power. Though through some researching and thinking, I'm seeing that power isn't the reason why people buy Mac's. I guess I'm getting closer to the true reason people want to buy them lol. :mixedsmi:

6297J
January 27th, 2010, 12:07
Yep, perfect for students under 18 (and design students over 18). There are cafes in London where this will be de rigueur ;) :sleep:

Lionheart
January 27th, 2010, 12:55
The virtual keyboard is nice in that its almost exact in scale with their real keyboards. (Not quite but very close). The only thing is you have to watch your fingertips since you have no tactile sensing on where your keys are.. Just flat glass..

Another nice thing. Glass! Very difficult to scratch this screen.

With it being LED illuminated, you can use it to light up your room. You'll need sunglasses. Took me a while to get used to my apple monitor. Dang thing would heat up my arms while I was typing, lol..

Kiwikat
January 27th, 2010, 13:15
The more I think about it, the more it could really hit the netbook market. If they develop fully featured apps for it like iWork, it could really be something else.

I wonder how big the keyboard on it is compared to say the one on my eee pc?

djscoo
January 27th, 2010, 13:22
It simply does what others can't...e-mail, internet, e-books, music, videos, photos,...

I hope that was you being sarcastic...

Cratermaker
January 27th, 2010, 13:26
The more I think about it, the more it could really hit the netbook market. If they develop fully featured apps for it like iWork, it could really be something else.
According to Apple:

The iWork productivity applications that people know and love on the Mac — Keynote, Pages, and Numbers — have been completely redesigned for iPad.

Don't know if that make them full featured or not though.

Kiwikat
January 27th, 2010, 13:29
According to Apple:

The iWork productivity applications that people know and love on the Mac — Keynote, Pages, and Numbers — have been completely redesigned for iPad.

Don't know if that make them full featured or not though.

Yeah I just read that. :icon_lol: :applause:

Man if they released a NICE photo editor for it, I might be sold(!).

If this thing gets popular, it is going to make Apple a heap of money with all the online content. :173go1:

TheOptimist
January 27th, 2010, 13:30
It's amazing what you can do with it. It simply does what others can't...e-mail, internet, e-books, music, videos, photos,...

I hope this was sarcasm!

The Ipad is a complete joke. You'd have to be mad to buy one. It's awful.

My favourite part? There is NO MULTITASKING.

Imagine working at your PC only ever being able to have one window open at a time. Laughable.

Kiwikat
January 27th, 2010, 13:45
My favourite part? There is NO MULTITASKING.

Imagine working at your PC only ever being able to have one window open at a time. Laughable.

There's no flash either... :isadizzy:

Those two things will turn a lot of people off. I still think it will be incredibly popular among high school and college students.

30 dollars a month for an unlimited 3G data plan (plus 130 more for a 3G capable model)... hmm. On top of a regular internet connection and even cell phone contract, that's getting pricey. Though I am impressed by the base price of the 16 GB. There's no reason 64 should be 200 dollars more. That's apple's storage prices for you... :mixedsmi:

Cratermaker
January 27th, 2010, 13:50
I'm thinking photo editing is in the works. Kind of strange to have the capability to load images off of an SD card directly otherwise (I hope).

As for multitasking and Flash... in THEORY, it is just an OS update away. But in practice, we haven't seen it yet.

TheOptimist
January 27th, 2010, 13:50
There's no flash either... :isadizzy:

Those two things will turn a lot of people off. I still think it will be incredibly popular among high school and college students.

30 dollars a month for an unlimited 3G data plan (plus 130 more for a 3G capable model)... hmm. On top of a regular internet connection and even cell phone contract, that's getting pricey. Though I am impressed by the base price of the 16 GB. There's no reason 64 should be 200 dollars more. That's apple's storage prices for you... :mixedsmi:

Not to mention that 16gb is absolutely nothing.

A nice summary from the macrumors site, with the bold ones I find the most astonishing;

No GPS
No Camera
No Multitasking
No OLED Screen
An extremely disappointing 256 MB of RAM!
No Additional Touch Gestures
No Videocalling/conferencing/iChat
No Handwriting recognition
No Wireless Syncing or File Transfers
No Ability to run custom Apps not preapproved by Apple and sold via the App Store
A Very Low Resolution Display with 25% fewer PPPs than the iPhone or iPod Touch
No integrated TV antenna or Radio antenna
No Video Out
No OTA Sync With Apple TV or Servers To Stream Video
No Low Reflective Screen Mode for high contrast Ebook Reading that doesn't hurt your eyes
No Gamepad attachment for Gaming With Physical Buttons/Tactile Feedback
No bluetooth, or ability to connect to a bluetooth mouse/keyboard
No RFID/IR to use it as a remote, or to tag it to yourself
No Replacable/Removable Batteries
No Flash support (no hulu.com)
No ability to connect to an extrernal hdd, or even an SDCard
A 1 Ghz processor that significantly slower than every single notebook on the market today, even the $199 ones.

For about $600 you can get a laptop with 4gb of RAM, 320gb Hard drive, true HD resolution screen, dual DVD burners, HDMI outputs etc etc.

Cratermaker
January 27th, 2010, 13:58
That is strange, the Apple site says:

iPad also comes with Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR, which lets you connect to devices like wireless headphones or the Apple Wireless Keyboard.

Looks like you can connect an SD card, though through an adpater.

TheOptimist
January 27th, 2010, 14:04
Ignore my previous post then. Whoever compiled it must have ignored the apple site (although it was posted after it went online)...

The first slate I'll look at will most likely be the HP slate, with full windows 7.

Cratermaker
January 27th, 2010, 14:29
Yeah, I've been reading a lot of conflicting info out there. I'll take the apple site for their word on the matter though. :icon_lol:

As for the 1GHz processor, it isn't necessarily an issue. If it were a wintel architecture, I'd say it was a dog. As is, it's comparing apples to oranges. They are a closed house system and have tight control on how everything works. I have no idea how much proprietary hardware they have taking a load off the CPU too. Ultimately, it's how fast you can get the stuff done you want to get done and how responsive the system is to the user.

Until I see a problem with their system getting dogged down, I'll assume that the engineers at apple really do know what they are doing.

kilo delta
January 27th, 2010, 15:03
....Meh

djscoo
January 27th, 2010, 15:26
Ipad...Isn't that how Minnesotans pronounce "Ipod"?

Kiwikat
January 27th, 2010, 15:40

LMAO, literally. :icon_lol:

Lionheart
January 27th, 2010, 17:14

That would be Bostonians and Aussies. :d

djscoo
January 27th, 2010, 17:29
That would be Bostonians and Aussies. :d
All I know is if you ain't from Texas you talk funny!

(I have a Professor from Minnesota, one from Boston, and one with a slight Scottish accent. I spend the majority of class trying to figure out what the heck they are saying!:icon_lol:)

Kiwikat
January 27th, 2010, 17:37

Touche! :running:

djscoo
January 27th, 2010, 18:51
I'll just leave this here...:running:

Lionheart
January 27th, 2010, 22:03
Just got finished watching the new KeyNote Presentation movie from the Event Show.

This dang thing is cool. For you Mac users;
This runs its own iWork (has added (added) features and abilities)
Has a basic iLife set of programs
Runs basic apps, almost all of them, that iPod Touch and iPhone use
Has a stand that you can;
Use as a picture frame with slide show, like family pictures, warplanes, etc
Has a linkable keyboard for use as a desktop computer
You can get them with wireless 3G network builtin cards, no plan required, and they are shipped unlocked. :d

This dang thing is awesome....

They definately outperform mini notebooks.

Slightly off topic. I had submitted a design years ago (many years ago) to HP to the president of the corporation (you could write to them back then) and submitted an idea for a super mini laptop that used HP Jornada hardware. I am basically sure that this is what Apple has done. They have created a huge iPhone/iPod Touch with a super powerful new sodium A4 chip that can run tons of games, applications, and super cool, liquid speed, smooth transition animations. Boot up times are like zero. These things are bing-on, bing-off speed... (from what I have seen).

I am impressed. I didnt want one at first. But when I saw that keyboard option, I relented. I can use one. I think this is better (possibly) then the Mac Air.

I would want one in 64Gigs with 3G Wireless, which puts it at the max price of $829.00 USD. ($129.00 is for 3G radio installation). I can get services for ATT (cough) at 14.99 for 256 Megs a month, and unlimited at $30.00 a month, and NO CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooo hoooooo!!!!! If I couldnt make a payment, no 5 year debt and damage to my credit...

Awesome....

Bill

stiz
January 27th, 2010, 22:14
I would want one in 64Gigs with 3G Wireless, which puts it at the max price of $829.00 USD. ($129.00 is for 3G radio installation). I can get services for ATT (cough) at 14.99 for 256 Megs a month, and unlimited at $30.00 a month, and NO CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooo hoooooo!!!!! If I couldnt make a payment, no 5 year debt and damage to my credit...

blimy ... you could buy a real good laptop for that price ... heck you could even buy a real good pc for that price!!

JorisVandenBerghe
January 27th, 2010, 22:43
I hope that was you being sarcastic...

I hope this was sarcasm!
Actually it wasn't.

As I don't know much (read: nothing :kilroy:) about other tablets, the first things I'd compare it to are Sony's Daily Edition e-reader and Amazon's Kindle. And as far as I know they don't allow you to check your mails, let alone view photos, videos etc, do they ? And the GUI looks way better than those two...

Can't comment on other tablet thingies of course. I stand corrected if others can do the same of course :kilroy:. Only tablets I have known before are the things you use to edit photos in Photoshop or so, those things with a pen or whatever it is called...:kilroy:. Apparently there are some basic tablet pcs which probably aren't and won't be as popular as the iPad...
To me the iPad is an e-bookreader which can do a whole lot more than just read e-books. Not a real computer...

I'd love to have the 64 GB version with the wireless stuff, but at $ 820...I'd rather spend that money on a fisheye lens :mixedsmi:.

(I have a Professor from Minnesota, one from Boston, and one with a slight Scottish accent. I spend the majority of class trying to figure out what the heck they are saying!:icon_lol:)

LMAO, literally. :icon_lol:
+ 1 :icon_lol:...One of my professors in college worked at the MIT for a couple of years...problem is that I'm used to hearing British English and talks something between American English and British English...funny to hear.

stiz
January 28th, 2010, 04:48
As I don't know much (read: nothing :kilroy:) about other tablets, the first things I'd compare it to are Sony's Daily Edition e-reader and Amazon's Kindle. And as far as I know they don't allow you to check your mails, let alone view photos, videos etc, do they ? And the GUI looks way better than those two...

ebook readers and tablets are 2 totaly different things. Ebook readers are just that, they read ebooks, not designed to do anything else :engel016:

JorisVandenBerghe
January 28th, 2010, 05:07
Well, here the iPad does both...anyway, thanks for clarifying Stiz. The tablet market is a small niche (at least around here...), but I'd say the iPad is going to broaden that market...

n4gix
January 28th, 2010, 09:00
Oddly enough, Apple's stock took a major dip after the announcement... :monkies:

Kiwikat
January 28th, 2010, 09:26
Oddly enough, Apple's stock took a major dip after the announcement... :monkies:

Maybe when they announce the new MBP's like they SHOULD have, it'll go back up. :icon_lol:

I finally got through Jobs' whole speech last night. It was funny hearing him slip up and say "iPod" several times. He wasn't really incorrect though. It really is just a big iPod.

I'll be leaving this gadget to the fanboys. I'm happy with my 32 GB 3rd gen iPod Touch. :mixedsmi:

PRB
January 28th, 2010, 09:33
The Apple minipad...? :eek: :d

djscoo
January 28th, 2010, 10:02
The Apple minipad...? :eek: :d
If the Ipod touch is the minipad, does that make the Ipad a maxipad?
:icon_lol:

Lionheart
January 28th, 2010, 10:41
Basically, if you think about it, Macs are like huge versions of their iPod Touch and iPhones. They have 'similar' OS systems, though very different, just as Windows has an OS for their PDA's which is a simplified Windows OS.

In looking at a Mac at a Mac Store, and in owning a iPod Touch, and seeing the similarities and the ease of how the Apple OS structure works (pretty similar to Windows actually), I was sold... Bought a 24" then. (Well, my computer crashed, so thats when I got one).

I would say that your 'revelation' is correct Paul. The iPhone and iPod are 'mini-Pads'.

I am constantly thinking how my iPhone is like a Laptop. It does so much. Now they have basically made a super thin laptop like creation (without the keyboard bottom section) that is extremely similar to the iPhone and iPod Touch. But the difference is, from iPhone and the iPad, is that when you put it on the desk on its stand and hook up the keyboard, you have a desktop PC computer.

Not one that you can load programs in like a Netbook with Windows. This is a whole new breed of computer. This runs on Apps like an iPhone or iPod. This is a small gaming computer (Apps based). This is a media device, and it runs iWork, which is the Apple version of Windows Office. (One brilliant program, I might add. I use it and have Win Office as well, and I have basically abandoned Office for iWork. Too many features in it... )

Bill

Lionheart
January 28th, 2010, 10:50
Here are a few pics of the device's docking setup.

The case that comes with it unfolds in two ways, for a low angle desk tray, and also a high angle desk display stand.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4309487699_d5ce19c86b_o.jpg
Desk Stand mounted

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2723/4310068064_7b7e2441b7.jpg
Desk Stand

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4310253658_e2296224c0_o.jpg
Case; low angle fold

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4309517089_e42222cc47.jpg
Case; high angle fold

The dock stand (small white stand gadget) is the cool stand (in my opinion), which sort of makes it work like a little desktop PC computer. I would assume that the unit uses a bluetooth keyboard.

Bill

Bjoern
January 28th, 2010, 11:11
Saw this image and *had* to think of you, Lionheart. :d

http://img11.abload.de/img/imageshack-126463370619bpo.jpg

Silver Fox
January 28th, 2010, 11:21
I love my Touch... using right now actually. :)

I'm not impressed by the iPad... but maybe in the 2nd Gen version. I was really hoping for something smaller. Something in a pocketable, e-book reader, size with Touch functionality. My Touch is rarely further than arm's reach away... but the iPad isn't quite that portable.

Just imagine a dash-mountable 'Super-Touch' and what it might do... AM/FM radio, GPS nav, 3G, Wi-Fi, movies, pics, Bluetooth, Apps... and when you get out if your car it slips in a pocket and you take it all with you.

Lionheart
January 28th, 2010, 11:40
I love my Touch... using right now actually. :)

I'm not impressed by the iPad... but maybe in the 2nd Gen version. I was really hoping for something smaller. Something in a pocketable, e-book reader, size with Touch functionality. My Touch is rarely further than arm's reach away... but the iPad isn't quite that portable.

Just imagine a dash-mountable 'Super-Touch' and what it might do... AM/FM radio, GPS nav, 3G, Wi-Fi, movies, pics, Bluetooth, Apps... and when you get out if your car it slips in a pocket and you take it all with you.

Same with my iPhone. I use it daily for so many things. Calculator, Notes, iCal alerts for paying bills, chatting, Texting, phone, music (plays my iTunes in Windows mode when working on models), watching movies (watched some of Appleseed last night, waiting on family members at Wallyworld), has some great 'fall-to-sleep' sound programs (rain storm, etc)... You name it.. Its a laptop that goes in your pocket. Just that your screen is small, though it is high-rez...

SF,

I think its not 'that huge'. I can see this being used in media devices like in the back seats of cars, replacing DVD players that kids always watch. (I was going to put some in my Avelina, DVD players in the backs of the seats for rear passengers, and now it will be iPads, lol.. Nearly the same size).

Bill

stiz
January 28th, 2010, 11:45
DVD players in the backs of the seats for rear passengers, and now it will be iPads, lol.. Nearly the same size).

jeez bill cars are expensive enough without the need to raise the price by severel thousend :monkies:

Lionheart
January 28th, 2010, 11:49
Silver Fox,

Here you go.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2612/3660818167_dc544999f0.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3035/2832574213_0903758d97_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3606/3536535682_bdc72526d1.jpg

I have a pair of the black Solo model, top one. The screen is difficult if you have touchy vision like me. (With glasses, I need them on to see the screen, and it doesnt fit well then, and with contacts in, I almost need reading glasses, which again puts them far away from your pupils.

They say that the ones with normal sunglasses on top enable you to walk while seeing film or news, etc. You can still see in your periphial vision, so they become 'safer' to view with when in public area's.

6297J
January 28th, 2010, 12:18
I'm waiting for the i-wide

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7063/2b55ef161031bc37972b431.jpg

one about the size of my chequebook would be nice for my long bus journeys home from work.

Kiwikat
January 28th, 2010, 12:29
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7063/2b55ef161031bc37972b431.jpg

LMAO. :icon_lol:

6297J
January 28th, 2010, 12:42
I used to have one of these when I was about 12

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1195/donkeykonggameandwatch5.jpg

but Donkey Kong would be fantastic on an i-wide !!

Silver Fox
January 28th, 2010, 12:54
A Holoband Bill! Isn't that how the Cylons get started?!?! :)

Cool displays... I should check those out.

Lionheart
January 28th, 2010, 14:23
A Holoband Bill! Isn't that how the Cylons get started?!?! :)

Cool displays... I should check those out.

If you have bad vision for viewing things too close or too far, you might not want to. If you have bi-focal contact lense, you should be fine. The thing is amazing. Great for riding the bus and watching shows and movies. It will not display regular things though, like internet.

Lionheart
January 28th, 2010, 14:28
For those that are getting to grips with the understanding of this OS, think of this.

On a Netbook, your system will boot up just like Windows does, as its windows, of course. With something like the iPad or iPhone or iPod, its 'instant-on'... Hard to imagine, but you just turn it on, and its running.

Apple uses sleep mode fully. Its like its shut down, but its on. I rarely power down my iMac or iPhone. The HD's are put to sleep so they do not run, not spooled up, etc. With iPhone, iPod, and iPad, you have Flash hard drives, solid state. They do not spool up nor skip, so its 'instantaneous memory retrieval'. Bing, done, on the screen.

Its wild..

My HP Jornada was the same way. The WindowsCE must be similar. With Apple's iPhone and iPad OS, you have the same thing, but it must run 'all' media and App games as well, (and iWork now, etc).

I should note that some games have a loading screen, just as internet takes a moment to load if your WiFi or 3G connection rate is slow at the moment.

Bill

stiz
January 28th, 2010, 16:31
:bump:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7643/17614full.jpg

Kiwikat
January 28th, 2010, 17:09
Where are you getting these Stiz? :icon_lol: :applause:

djscoo
January 28th, 2010, 17:37
:bump:

Lionheart
January 28th, 2010, 17:57
EDIT: Nevermind. Not worth it.

n4gix
January 29th, 2010, 09:28
On a Netbook, your system will boot up just like Windows does, as its windows, of course. With something like the iPad or iPhone or iPod, its 'instant-on'... Hard to imagine, but you just turn it on, and its running.

Bill, my 14 year old, antique laptop running Win98 can do that! I just press one button, and it's "on," returning to whatever it was I was doing previously... :bump:

bushpilot
January 29th, 2010, 09:48
Hehe Ipad is just too easy target:bump:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vwi80i.jpg

JorisVandenBerghe
January 29th, 2010, 10:17
Okay, okay, we got the message by now :rolleyes:...;). We know it may not be a huge technological leap forward, but it still is a clever piece of design and unique to use as shown in the videos in my humble opinion.

I must admit some of those pictures are funny though :icon_lol:. Especially that evolution one...LMAO!

Bjoern
January 29th, 2010, 10:19
One more?

- Edit: Ooops, same as Pekka's. :x

:icon_lol:

(Apple is overrated.)

Lionheart
January 29th, 2010, 11:00
I am pretty impressed with it.

I was wondering if perhaps the iPod might reshape the future of computer OS systems

Chacha
January 29th, 2010, 11:03
I am at the apple store right now and just looking...... :icon_lol:

Lionheart
January 29th, 2010, 12:02
ChaCha,

When do they plan on releasing the iPad?

Chacha
January 29th, 2010, 12:41
March

Silver Fox
January 29th, 2010, 12:47
So underwhelmed!

I simply love my Touch... and can't figure out a single reason I would want the new iPlod. I'll go to the Apple Store in March once it is released to play with one, and I'll keep an eye on how it's marketed here in Canada... but I can't see a single sheckle being spent on one. Maybe some accessories might make a difference, whenever they start to show up... or a killer 'iPlod only' app.

Until then... I keep my iPod Touch, and my money, in my pocket.

Lionheart
January 29th, 2010, 13:22
March

Thanks ChaCha.

:engel016:

Man.... More waiting.. arrghh..

Silver Fox
January 29th, 2010, 16:15
Bill, you obviously want one... help me out a bit.

How do you see yourself using it? I love new gadgets... but my commute is too short on the bus to watch TV/Movies, it can't replace my Touch for portability... what will it do for you?

I think what I needis a docking station with HDMI output to the TV and either a remote or the ability to use the Touch as a remote. Then I could put some fav movies on it, use it like a DVD player or just grab it to go portable. Use it as a convenient surfing device while watching TV instead of the Touch.

Piglet
January 29th, 2010, 19:56
i Pad?!? Isn't that for robots in heat?
Sorry Bill, But then again Apple commercials make fun of PC types, so a little payback!:ernae:

Silver Fox
January 29th, 2010, 20:14
Tim, grab yourself an iPhone or an iPod Touch... see how long before you are tethered to it. My Touch is never out of reach.

Piglet
January 29th, 2010, 20:23
A guy at work is always dickkin' with his iPod/Touch gadget. I'd grab it and throw it into a spinning prop, but he's my boss's son...
(and don't want to hurt the prop blades)

Bjoern
January 30th, 2010, 09:20
Piglet, love your new avatar.

(If I want an Apple, I visit the fruit stand.)

Lionheart
January 30th, 2010, 09:31
......ok

So back on topic. I was thinking this morning, why they kept the screen dock vertical instead of landscape, since we watch movies and shows on these in landscape mode. But if its primary design is business programs and web, then it makes sense (to me) to have the dock on the vertical side.

For me, when I finally get one, I think it will be mostly on its side. Looks normal to me...

I hope that when they launch it, that the wireless keyboard will work on iPhones / iPods. (update).

@SilverFox,

Im not a Apple salesman. I am in this for myself and only sharing the news here with the Apple enthusiasts. Not trying to convert people or push Apple products. From what you have said, your iPod does all that you need. You're fine. You do not need one of these. This is just a giant iPod.

Some people lug around a briefcase, and this would be able to slip in like a folder of paper. Much liter to carry (1.9 pounds), so it will work better for them then a Laptop.

For $150.00 more, you can get into the small MacBook. (The maxed out 3G version iPad will be just cheaper then their small Laptop).

Main points for the iPad; lite, super thin, lightning fast performance, you can use your Apps on it, transfer them over. You can use iWork, iLife on it. All your media can be put on it (movies, music, etc). Its almost a flat screen TV, lol...

Bad points; It will not be a OSX 64 machine, does not have the front video camera like all Apple computers have. The camera should be a standard on this.

C'mon March!!!

Bill

Wing_Z
January 30th, 2010, 12:19
Being somewhat i-challenged, I wondered: web connectivity is a big part of all this isn't it?
But it seems to be done on the 3G phone network...I see monthly data limits of 250MB or so being discussed.
And bandwidth on those phone networks is frighteningly expensive in most parts of the world.
My PC has a data cap 25x that, and download speed I dunno, 10x?
And I read the news on a 24" screen, with a spare one just for email.
So where exactly do you use these i-devices?
On the toilet? The boat?
Isn't it kinda awkward to lug about yet another device?
I can barely make room for my mobile phone (which only phones :d )

It's a genuine puzzle to me, as my lifestyle doesn't apparently require me to rush off to the Apple store immediately.

Lionheart
January 30th, 2010, 12:20
This is cool...

Found it while going through Carbon Fiber textures...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4317130080_a4fb24d4be.jpg

Has my name all over it!

Lionheart
January 30th, 2010, 12:27
Being somewhat i-challenged, I wondered: web connectivity is a big part of all this isn't it?
But it seems to be done on the 3G phone network...I see monthly data limits of 250MB or so being discussed.
And bandwidth on those phone networks is frighteningly expensive in most parts of the world.
My PC has a data cap 25x that, and download speed I dunno, 10x?
And I read the news on a 24" screen, with a spare one just for email.
So where exactly do you use these i-devices?
On the toilet? The boat?
Isn't it kinda awkward to lug about yet another device?
I can barely make room for my mobile phone (which only phones :d )

It's a genuine puzzle to me, as my lifestyle doesn't apparently require me to rush off to the Apple store immediately.

Hey Wing_Z,

In your question, does it only use 3G networks, negative. It has a built-in bluetooth, like all Apples and iPod Touch units. Even the iPhone will access the blue tooth zones near it before going 3G which is great for helping your phone bill be lower if you do not have unlimited service.

With my iPod Touch, I was lucky to find some BT zones now and then, but most are now locked, aside from nice coffee shops and book stores, etc, that invite in such traffic.

At home, if your router has the wireless antennae option on it (for both cables and wireless) then you wouldnt need the 3G for being around home.

If your cell phone is already peaking your load capacity, then this isnt for you.

The size of it appear to be similar to a file folder or magazine. It would be like carrying around a portfolio folder, basically. Much easier then a laptop. So perhaps for those that like to check emails and like big screens and like chatting online and like going to coffee shops, etc, checking things online at work during breaks, then the iPad is probably for them.

This is a unique product... So totally different then NetBook, NoteBook, Laptop, iPhone, etc..

Wing_Z
January 30th, 2010, 12:49
Yeah it certainly is Cool.
Jobs has an absolutely magic touch, I watch him pull off these gigantic Cool Cons (Not really a Con, but you follow what I mean)...I guess I'm just not Cool enough...that can't really be a CF Apple?
Can it?

6297J
January 30th, 2010, 13:10
http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/

http://forums.appleinsider.com/

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

http://modmyi.com/forums/

http://www.iphonefans.com/

:salute:

Lionheart
January 30th, 2010, 13:37
Yeah it certainly is Cool.
Jobs has an absolutely magic touch, I watch him pull off these gigantic Cool Cons (Not really a Con, but you follow what I mean)...I guess I'm just not Cool enough...that can't really be a CF Apple?
Can it?

Nope.. Well, I dont think so. There are a number of custom sleeve makers out there that make slip on/clip on/snap on covers and cases for the MacBooks.

That one is a must have, lol..

MacRumor is a good website..

harleyman
January 31st, 2010, 03:45
Bill..March will never get here for you this year my friend !.....:bump:

Lionheart
January 31st, 2010, 03:48
LOLOL....

It sure feels that way..

I went for several months without a cell phone, waiting for the new 3Gs to come out. I thought they would launch it in Jan. Then I find it wouldnt launch till June. I get their in the morning on June 1st to get my new iPhone and they say they arent out yet.. They didnt launch till something like June 27th or something. Goodness....

I'll just have to focus on building planes..

Chacha
January 31st, 2010, 07:35
Bill..March will never get here for you this year my friend !.....:bump:

Eeeks.....

That is my little girl's birthday month..... :isadizzy:

:pop4:

Bjoern
January 31st, 2010, 09:36
For a change, a video and comment from me that doesn't put down Apple. :d

_h6dD674stw

Silver Fox
January 31st, 2010, 13:10
Well... the whole thing has become academic for me, for the time being!

3G iPad is not coming to Canada all that soon. It seems Apple still hasn't found a partner/carrier.

Wing_Z
January 31st, 2010, 15:18
Just got the NZ Applespam (http://www.apple.com/nz/ipad/ipad-video/)about this.
A thought popped up.
Sound!
What about sound?
Surely you aren't going to have to run wires into your ears with this???
And if there are speakers, can they be any good?
Is there a dock?
Man there's a whole cottage industry going to spring up around this one. Again.

Silver Fox
January 31st, 2010, 15:25
Bluetooth and a speaker are built in, and add-on speakers will be available. A dock is available.

Apple will be hoping for a cottage industry to spring up... it means there is a large enough user base to support. :)

Lionheart
January 31st, 2010, 16:19
I imagine it has the same new speakers as the 3Gs. My 3Gs iPhone has some pretty loud speakers for a dang phone... well, PDA.. I have to turn it down to 40% at night when I am listening to music before bed.

For all out-of-United States sales, they will be shipped 'un-locked'... So you can get any carrier you like... Lucky bumms....

Bill

Piglet
January 31st, 2010, 16:55
Coming soon...
The new iPenis!

Wing_Z
January 31st, 2010, 17:13
Piglet...back to your iPen, please!

AckAck
January 31st, 2010, 18:58
If those are speakers, it has a 2.1 surround system built-in! Might have to get one...

Nothing would be cooler than walkin' down the street with my iPenis on my shoulder bangin' out some kickin' tunes, inspiring people to breakdance on the sidewalks around me.... Well, maybe I could think of something cooler, but I'd have to put a little effort into it.

Brian

djscoo
January 31st, 2010, 19:17
Coming soon...
The new iPenis!
Does it come with a belt clip?

Silver Fox
January 31st, 2010, 19:18
Canadian customers should check carriers for dataplans before buying... at present there is no Canadian carrier that has a dataplan for devices of this type. Hopefully access to Apple's latest toy will change minds.

On the other hand... it should be good for Canadian customers overall. All those netbooks with 3G modems that they don't sell here cuz they're not supported will sneak on the back door. :)