PDA

View Full Version : Texture problem on planes:

Bobr2
January 20th, 2010, 08:28
When ever I get a new texture to a plane that I really like I install it. I put the texture folder in the plane (like lets say the 172) then I install the part that goes into the aircraft cfg folder and chane the x to the nest number. Open flight sim go to the 172 and go down and open the the aircraft texture part it never showes up or it it doe's the texture is all gray. I am using 2004. This doe's it with payware or freeware aircraft's or even stock aircraft. Can you help on this problem?

UKVoodoo
January 20th, 2010, 08:39
Could be a problem actually in the texture folder that a texture is named wrong ie original texture is named wing but the extra texture wing name is wings

Another problem could be in the aircraft.cfg file

Original
[fltsim.0]
title=F-105G
sim=F-105G

New Texture
[fltsim.1]
title=F-105G <-if this is same as above section aircraft wont appear,F-105G paint 1 would correct that
sim=F-105<-F-105 rather then F-105G will stop a paint appearing check to see if the sim section matches the original sim section

Hope this helps
Matt

Terry
January 20th, 2010, 09:26
Why don't you copy and paste the top part of a aircraft.cfg file that does not work so we can see it and possibly help you out.

Mick
January 22nd, 2010, 05:53
If a paint doesn't show up on the select aircraft menu, the problem is in the UI section of the aircraft.cfg file. Something needs to be edited to make the paint show up.

If it shows up on the menu but the plane is naked (usually solid gray) then the problem is in the texture folder. If the name of the folder doesn't match the texture= line in the cfg file, that would do it. If the folder name is correct, then the problem is inside the folder, like with file names.

Um, you're sure the paints your installing are meant for the model you're installing them to...???

I think it will become clear when you post some examples, as suggested above.

Lionheart
January 22nd, 2010, 08:02
Remember, a texture for a plane 'MUST' be compiled to a format that FS uses. Also, they must be in sizes such as 128, 256, 512, and 1024. If you are one pixel off, FS will not see them and they will appear gray. Same for formats...

In FS2004, you have DXT1, DXT3, 888-8, and I 'think' DXT5 'might' work, but havent tried it.

Common formats for planes are DXT3 and 'rarely' 888-8.

888-8 is 32bit high resolution. It can bog down computers with low RAM. DXT3 is the 16bit version of 888-8. Runs fast and quick.

DXT1 is for scenery usually.

Also note that these can have Alpha channels, which is a single color, usually gray, which will tell a material/texture if its either reflective or opaque/transparent. (With a _T, it is reflective. Without the _T, adding a Alpha gray will cause the texture to turn transparent).

Note; this is for FS2004 only. FSX is totally different...

For compiling materials to DXT formats, I use DXTBmp.exe by Martin Wright. Awesome little program.

Bill

Bobr2
January 24th, 2010, 13:56
Sorry it took so long to get this to you:
//************************************************** *******
// CARENADO CESSNA STATIONAIR 6 II MODEL U206G Amphibian (1980)
// Copyright © Carenado 2005 - All Rights Reserved
[fltsim.0]
title=Cessna 206 Amphibian
sim=Caren206AMPH
model=ES
panel=
sound=
texture=
kb_checklists=Carenado Cessna 206 Amphibian_check
kb_reference=Carenado Cessna 206 Amphibian_ref
atc_id=N366DL
ui_manufacturer=Carenado
ui_type=Cessna U206G Stationair 6 II
ui_variation=Amphibian Extreme Sports
description=Carenado Cessna Stationair 6 II Model U206G Amphibian Extreme Sports\t\nwww.carenado.com\t\n____________________ ___________________________\t\nIMPORTANT!! READ HERE\t\n__________________________________________ _____\t\nGear Down (G) automatically Water Rudders Up\t\n____________________________________________ ___\t\nGear UP (G) automatically Water Rudders Down\t\n__________________________________________ _____\t\nAlso water Rudders can work from VC (using retraction handle located between the front seats)\t\n________________________________________ _______\t\nToggle the rear seats clicking the Co-Pilot seat \t\n______________________________________________ _\t\nPlease read documents included in the Pack\t\n__________________________________________ _____\t\n
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=1
[fltsim.1]
title=Cessna 206 Amphibian 2
sim=Caren206AMPH
model=Bush
panel=
sound=
texture=
atc_id=N366DL
ui_manufacturer=Carenado
ui_variation=Amphibian Bush
description=Carenado Cessna Stationair 6 II Model U206G Amphibian Bush Plane www.carenado.com\t\n______________________________ _________________\t\nIMPORTANT (http://www.carenado.com\t\n______________________________ _________________\t\nIMPORTANT)!! READ HERE\t\n__________________________________________ _____\t\nGear Down (G) automatically Water Rudders Up\t\n____________________________________________ ___\t\nGear UP (G) automatically Water Rudders Down\t\n__________________________________________ _____\t\nAlso water Rudders can work from VC (using retraction handle located between the front seats)\t\n________________________________________ _______\t\nToggle the rear seats clicking the Co-Pilot seat \t\n______________________________________________ _\t\nPlease read documents included in the Pack\t\n__________________________________________ _____\t\n
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=1
[fltsim.2]
title=Cessna 206 Amphibian N245IP
sim=Caren206AMPH
model=Bush
panel=
sound=
texture=N245IP
atc_id=N245IP
ui_manufacturer=Carenado
ui_variation=Amphibian N245IP
description=Carenado Cessna Stationair 6 II Model U206G Amphibian Bush Plane www.carenado.com\t\n______________________________ _________________\t\nIMPORTANT (http://www.carenado.com\t\n______________________________ _________________\t\nIMPORTANT)!! READ HERE\t\n__________________________________________ _____\t\nGear Down (G) automatically Water Rudders Up\t\n____________________________________________ ___\t\nGear UP (G) automatically Water Rudders Down\t\n__________________________________________ _____\t\nAlso water Rudders can work from VC (using retraction handle located between the front seats)\t\n________________________________________ _______\t\nToggle the rear seats clicking the Co-Pilot seat \t\n______________________________________________ _\t\nPlease read documents included in the Pack\t\n__________________________________________ _____\t\n
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=1
[General]
atc_type=CESSNA
atc_model=C206
editable=0
performance=______________________________\t\nMaxi mum Speed\t\n138 kts\t\n______________________________\t\nCruise Speed\t\n132 kts\t\n______________________________\t\nEngine\t\ nTeledyne Continental IO-520-F/300-hp\t\n______________________________\t\nPropeller\ nMcCauley 3-Bladed Constant Speed\t\n______________________________\t\nService Ceiling\n13,900 ft\t\n______________________________\t\nFuel Capacity\t\n92 U.S. gal\t\n______________________________\t\nEmpty Weight\t\n2,329 lb\t\n______________________________\t\nMaximum Gross Weight\t\n3,512 lb\t\n______________________________\t\n

robert41
January 24th, 2010, 14:14
One other thing to check. Sometimes you have to copy the original texture folder, rename it, and let the new textures overwrite the originals. Read the readme. I've missed this step once in awhile.

falcon409
January 24th, 2010, 15:53
// CARENADO CESSNA STATIONAIR 6 II MODEL U206G Amphibian (1980)
// Copyright © Carenado 2005 - All Rights Reserved
[fltsim.0]
title=Cessna 206 Amphibian
sim=Caren206AMPH
model=ES
panel=
sound=
texture=
atc_id=N366DL
ui_manufacturer=Carenado
ui_variation=Amphibian Extreme Sports
description=Carenado Cessna Stationair 6 II Model U206G Amphibian Extreme Sports\t\nwww.carenado.com. IMPORTANT!! READ HERE. Gear Down (G) automatically Water Rudders Up. Gear UP (G) automatically Water Rudders Down. Also water Rudders can work from VC (using retraction handle located between the front seats). Toggle the rear seats clicking the Co-Pilot seat. Please read documents included in the Pack
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=1

[fltsim.1]
title=Cessna 206 Amphibian 2
sim=Caren206AMPH
model=Bush
panel=
sound=
texture=
atc_id=N366DL
ui_manufacturer=Carenado
ui_variation=Amphibian Bush
description=Carenado Cessna Stationair 6 II Model U206G Amphibian Bush Plane www.carenado.com. IMPORTANT (http://www.carenado.com%5ct%5cn__________________________ _____________________%5ct%5cnimportant/)!! READ HERE. Gear Down (G) automatically Water Rudders. Gear UP (G) automatically Water Rudders Down. Also water Rudders can work from VC (using retraction handle located between the front seats). Toggle the rear seats clicking the Co-Pilot seat. Please read documents included in the Pack.
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=1

[fltsim.2]
title=Cessna 206 Amphibian N245IP
sim=Caren206AMPH
model=Bush
panel=
sound=
texture=N245IP
atc_id=N245IP
ui_manufacturer=Carenado
ui_variation=Amphibian N245IP
description=Carenado Cessna Stationair 6 II Model U206G Amphibian Bush Plane www.carenado.com. IMPORTANT (http://www.carenado.com%5ct%5cn__________________________ _____________________%5ct%5cnimportant/)!! READ HERE. Gear Down (G) automatically Water Rudders Up. Gear UP (G) automatically Water Rudders Down. Also water Rudders can work from VC (using retraction handle located between the front seats). Toggle the rear seats clicking the Co-Pilot seat. Please read documents included in the Pack.
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=1

[General]
atc_type=CESSNA
atc_model=C206
editable=0
performance=Maxi mum Speed. 138kts, Cruise Speed 132kts, Engine Teledyne Continental IO-520-F/300-hp, Propeller, McCauley 3-Bladed Constant Speed. Service Ceiling\n13,900 ft, Fuel Capacity 92 U.S. gal, Empty Weight 2,329 lb Maximum Gross Weight 3,512 lbI cleaned this up to be able to read it. If I was FS9, I'd have been confused too, lol. . .what a mess. The only thing I see is that two of your aircraft are showing the same "texture" file folder. The "Amhib Bush" and the "Extreme Sport" appear to be calling the same texture. That may be the problem, if one of those two has a different texture folder name.

falcon409
January 24th, 2010, 15:58
At this point, another thing that might help, if this doesn't fix it, is to post a screen of the folders inside the aircraft folder, so we can see what texture folders you have there. Just a thought.

Lionheart
January 24th, 2010, 17:43
If you miss-spell a single link, folder, etc, by one letter, none of it will work.

phantomx1
January 24th, 2010, 21:00
Need to also insure you don't have the texture.N245IP stuffed into another folder named texture.N245IP that is was placed into the aircraft folder.

Only need one texture.N245IP in the aircraft folder. And it better have the actual textures inside.

FS9 can't retrieve the texture if they are in two like named folders.

Sunny9850
January 25th, 2010, 17:35
Judging by your original posting the airplane itself shows up in the selection menu and is spinning.
If that is the case the only thing missing/wrong is the line texture=

texture=N1234 for example directs the sim to look for a folder called texture.N1234

Inside of that folder you must only have the individual bitmap files. The names of which must be the same as in any of the working paint schemes.

If there is another folder...any info in that will not be visible to FS.

If the names do not match the ones in the other folders it is likely for a different airplane or model (even if they are for a C-206 they will not work)
For example the Saratoga textures from FSD will not work on the Saratoga from Carenado.

Finally the folder name must be EXACTLY the same as the info behind the = sign.

For example folder names:
texture. N1234
texture.N 1234
texture.N-1234

while very close are not going to work....FS is very German in this....there is only one correct name. NO flexibility or close enough here.

IF all else fails simply rename the line of the new added texture to
texture=1

and the folder to

texture.1

Of course only if no other folder already has that name.

Stefan

Bobr2
January 26th, 2010, 13:26
Thank you very much you all have been very helpfull for I got it to work so now I can go get the textures for other planes I have on file though couldn't get them to work. So now I got one to work maby the rest also. Again Thank You Very Much.

Bob

falcon409
January 26th, 2010, 13:32
Thank you very much you all have been very helpfull for I got it to work so now I can go get the textures for other planes I have on file though couldn't get them to work. So now I got one to work maby the rest also. Again Thank You Very Much.
Bob
Soooo? The suspense is killing me, lol. . .what was the actual problem?:wiggle: