PDA

View Full Version : A microlight too far?

arrowmaker
January 19th, 2010, 07:42
I read in this mornings paper about a guy undertaking an epic 11,000 mile journey, from the UK to Australia, in his microlight, and I thought to my self "what an incredible adventure".

So on returning home I decided to post the story. On looking for some links, however, I was saddened to learn that he had been killed over the Channel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/19/microlight-pilot-dies-charity-flight

Snuffy
January 19th, 2010, 07:47
Wow! What a bummer.

:engel016:

Toastmaker
January 19th, 2010, 09:39
Ergo; what an incredibly stupid thing to do. Didn't someone tell him that microlights can ONLY be flown in calm conditions. . . ?

:pop4:

oakfloor
January 19th, 2010, 10:39
Ergo; what an incredibly stupid thing to do. Didn't someone tell him that microlights can ONLY be flown in calm conditions. . . ?

:pop4: And in IFR conditions?..sorry that was foolish.

Lionheart
January 19th, 2010, 10:46
Sorry to hear the bad news. It would have been great if he made it.

It must have been a pretty fun adventure up until then.

Bill

stiz
January 19th, 2010, 11:42
guys, it was clear when he left and he hit the fog bank half wayish across, i know its not the channel but the fog round here rolls in in a matter of seconds so unless you have a second by second weather update most of the time you have no idea its comeing.

OBIO
January 19th, 2010, 13:08
While what he was attempting to do may seem foolish...a microlight for Pete's sake?...but it was a very noble and forthright attempt to do good for wounded soldiers. He died doing what he felt was the right thing...to aide those who stood in harm's way to preserve and advance freedom, to thwart global terrorism. He died following his convictions, living life to the fullest...I think all of us should be so lucky to have our deaths come while doing something meaningful and while doing something we are passionate about.

OBIO

stiz
January 19th, 2010, 13:16
While what he was attempting to do may seem foolish...a microlight for Pete's sake?...

safer than the first plane to fly across! :engel016:

Dain Arns
January 19th, 2010, 13:21
It's often a fine line between stupid and incredible when judging the actions and intentions of someone else.
This falls on the side of noble effort for me.
The cause was justified.

My prayers and condolences for his friends and family, and all those he was trying to help.
I hope his effort was not in vain, but will bring greater light to the charity, "Hope For Heroes", that he was supporting. :engel016:

Toastmaker
January 19th, 2010, 13:42
Not to remove anything from his noble intent - but, "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots. . .

and you know the rest.

jmig
January 19th, 2010, 13:46
I saw this on the morning news. It is sad. Looks like he went IFR into fog as he approached the French coast. Not many microlights or ML pilots certified IFR.

Mobayrasta
January 19th, 2010, 13:54
What I don't understand is why he could not ditch the plane. He was flying something with a stall speed of 25 mph. He was fully prepared for a water landing with a raft and vest. He had a GPS and altimeter. None of it makes since to me.

I feel absolutely horrible for him and his family. When I first heard of his trip I thought it was so frigging cool. I could not believe when I saw this post. I am very very sad this happened.

Chris

oakfloor
January 19th, 2010, 14:21
Noble cause yes, weather conditions, NO. The changing conditions in the weather, as always should be taken into account. The fact that the fog rolls in "minutes" should have been a preflight consideration. Foolish to know this, and still takeoff anyway? Im truly sorry :frown: but reality is messy.

oakfloor
January 19th, 2010, 14:23
safer than the first plane to fly across! :engel016:
Yup, and a hundred years later were still learning.:mixedsmi:

Dain Arns
January 19th, 2010, 15:51
Not to remove anything from his noble intent - but, "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots. . .

and you know the rest.

True. Flying an ultralight in good weather still has lots of risks.
I respect him though for trying to do something good in this world for someone else.
Helping a charity that gives to those who have sacrificed so much.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Wing_Z
January 19th, 2010, 17:52
Noble cause certainly.
But a Darwin Award due, no question.
Also:
People who attempt single-handed crossings of the Pacific on the back of a trimmed-down toothbrush handle for whatever reason, should be required to post a bond equal to 1.5x the final cost of the Search and Rescue operation.

jmig
January 19th, 2010, 18:30
Noble cause certainly.
But a Darwin Award due, no question.
Also:
People who attempt single-handed crossings of the Pacific on the back of a trimmed-down toothbrush handle for whatever reason, should be required to post a bond equal to 1.5x the final cost of the Search and Rescue operation.

I respectfully disagree with the Darwin Award. If Charles Lindbergh had not made it across the Atlantic, there would have been people like you who would have said the same thing, using the phrase of the day.

If Steve Fosset had died during his around the world flight, there would have been people going, "Tish, tish, I could have told you that would happen."

Not everyone is born an explorer. To be an explorer you have to be a risk taker. Martin Bromage knew the risks. He chose to risk injury and even death to attempt fulfilling a dream. He died following his dream.

He may have been under qualified, under equipped, and maybe even under prepared. I don't know. I don't think he is the sort of idiot who would qualify for the Darwin award, however.

I respect and admire him for what he attempted. I am sorry he died in trying. However, he died doing something he wanted to do and loved. May we all be so lucky.

Dain Arns
January 19th, 2010, 19:13
As the article stated:
He had circumnavigated the British Isle on 4 separate occasions.
He had flown from England to Portugal, last year.
He had quite a few years with this particular type of aircraft.
He was actually very well prepared.

Obviously had this fund raising flight been attempted in a more 'acceptable' type of aircraft, the disparaging comments posted here towards this gentleman would never have been made.

Wing_Z
January 19th, 2010, 22:21
I respectfully disagree with the Darwin Award. If Charles Lindbergh had not made it across the Atlantic, there would have been people like you who would have said the same thing, using the phrase of the day...
Edited:
Probably best to wait a little for the tragedy to pass before making comments on the merits - the exact circumstances aren't clear, it must be said.