PDA

View Full Version : Buy a shuttle, get an engine for free!

Rami
January 18th, 2010, 16:39
Hey guys,

If you got a cool 28.8 million just lying around, NASA is having a 30% off sale due to the recession...

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/nasa-slashes-price-for-used-space-shuttles-assembly-required/19319937/?icid=main|search3|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dail yfinance.com%2Fstory%2Fnasa-slashes-price-for-used-space-shuttles-assembly-required%2F19319937%2F

b24_witchcraft
January 18th, 2010, 16:50
I would imagine any organization that wanted one would have to still have quite a fund raising effort that just to buy a used shuttle and spend additional money to build a large enough building for it too.

Nice avatar BTW Rami. :ernae:

Rami
January 18th, 2010, 16:55
B24_Witchcraft,

Thanks, I loved going to Norwood airport to see those babies in person.

Two sections that make me laugh in the article:

"Once sold, the shuttles will be delivered on the back of a 747 from the Kennedy Space Center to the major airport of your choice, where you will take delivery. What you do next is your problem."

So I guess the Crawler is not included?

And..."Unless, of course, the shuttle's buyer can jump-start one of those engines."

But...how to you explain to Homeland Security your sudden need for three million cubic feet of liquid hydrogen?

Kiwikat
January 18th, 2010, 16:56
Someone rich should buy one and turn it into a house... :mixedsmi:

I think it'd be cool anyways :kilroy:

Lionheart
January 18th, 2010, 16:57
If I had tons of money (like Bill Gates) I would have the interior redesigned like a Lear Jet, fancy with wood grain panneling and nice seats with Connelly leather. Maybe fit the yokes with Epic Aircraft black yokes with wood trim inserts.

Then, hire Ian or Robert Rivera to make the paint scheme on the exterior.....

New set of tires....

Install Apple entertainment systems throughout and iPhone/iPod link stations...

Then I think I would make the entire back of the craft a passenger pod and make it so that it had the ability to stay up for a few days and take up say 8 or 10 people, like a RV, lol... Would that be a blast or what???

Bill

Piglet
January 18th, 2010, 18:42
Shuttles don't have yokes...
Would make a cool house, and when 2012 happens, push the "go" button.
(And go to where?!?)
About that free engine... Ya gonna need two more, or four if you count the OMS engines...

Willy
January 18th, 2010, 19:42
New set of tires....

Whitewalls...

MaddogK
January 18th, 2010, 19:52
ya, 29 mil for a stripped shuttle, and maybe 1 working engine. Id rather spend the same amount on a working Hornet or Fulcrum.

Lionheart
January 18th, 2010, 20:33
You would also need to have some launch rockets for each time you wanted to take it up.

It would be cheaper to go to Rutan and have him design one that could be flown up out into space, not requiring launch rockets..

Perhaps save some money too and have enough left over for fuel for the year, insurance, and.... a space station! yeah.... a big, cool space station!

Bjoern
January 20th, 2010, 21:05
(And go to where?!?)

Moon. Visit the Nazis living there and watch the world go down the drain. :d