PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone converted this yet?

Rami
January 18th, 2010, 11:44
Hey guys,

I noticed the Junkers Ju-52 factory released a Ju-52 with six levels of detail several years ago. This would be perfect for CFS2, especially considering the "dedicated" CFS2 model is very old.

Has anyone made an attempt to convert her, and perhaps create a .dp?

http://www.ju52-3m.ch/models.htm

rmalone
January 18th, 2010, 12:49
Needs different airfile, some dxtbmp run through textures, gauges, I am sure i missed something, but thats as far as i have gone.
converts pretty easy
RM

Rami
January 18th, 2010, 12:55
Rmalone,

Can you send me what you have?

I can run the airfile through AirWrench.

Jagdflieger
January 18th, 2010, 14:03
I love this plane in FS 9 and it would be great to have it in the Senior Sim. I think that the lights line for FS 9 would have to be deleted in order to use it as an AI.

I hope this one works out as it would be perfect to tour Achim's new Barbarosa airfields in.

Rami
January 18th, 2010, 14:05
Jagd,

Even with six levels of the detail on the model?

Jagdflieger
January 18th, 2010, 14:13
Don't know for sure Rami. It's a pretty intricate model. RMalone's screen shot shows 65 FPS for the plane at what must be its second level of detail, so perhaps we're in luck. Hope so.

oldwheat
January 18th, 2010, 14:39
The latest version of MDLC (190?) is supposed to automatically deal with the 'lights' glitch.

Update: It converted without a hitch, works in QC & FRs are about 1/3 of Silvia's version but usable & with much more detail. I converted one model with wheel spats & one without,

Rami
January 18th, 2010, 16:10
Oldwheat?

Is that version 6.0 or 6.1?

tonybones2112
January 18th, 2010, 18:01
Has anyone uploded this converted version to the Outhouse yet? My Windows tell me I have around 4 gig of aircraft, I have yet to downlaod a Ju-52 yet.

Bones

Rami
January 18th, 2010, 18:20
Tonybones,

It's not there yet...but thanks to Rmalone, she flies! :ernae:

Somehow, I screwed up the panel royally, so I have to ask Rmalone tomorrow for another panel. In addition, converting the air file with AirWrench didn't work so well, so I'll have to ask our crack conversion commandos what to do about a new airfile, .cfg, and .dp.

On Skype tonight we were discussing doing what Crashaz did for the FDG C-47...include a .dp that allows for the dropping of cargo and paratroopers.

But we're getting there...and she does have damage textures!

tonybones2112
January 18th, 2010, 19:25
It looks good Rami, I think we need a definite -52 for CFS2. There is(I stand corrected on location) a mod in the Outhouse for dropping paratroops out of a -52, I don;t remember the version. I'll be looking forward to what you all come up with.

Bones

Jagdflieger
January 18th, 2010, 19:55
I hope that the airfile works out well. One of the problems that I've had with the earlier CFS 2 version was that it porpoised up and down and wouldn't behave very well as an AI.

Rami
January 18th, 2010, 21:08
For the gunner positions, Martin Wright's gunner objects could be used, and there is a bubble that can be placed on top of the rear fuselage, forward of the tail for the top gunner position.

It also seems that this model might be much easier to paint, a true treat for our more experienced skinners.

sc7500
January 18th, 2010, 21:57
...Update: It converted without a hitch, works in QC & FRs are about 1/3 of Silvia's version but usable & with much more detail...

I got it to update as well, ran it thru AirWrench to clean up the dynamics....

And it won't get off the ground empty.

I have a feeling the challenge is with weight distribution and overall power ratings - more tomorrow after more tweakage

SC
:kilroy:

bearcat241
January 19th, 2010, 04:32
Guys,

With regard to JU-52 flight dynamics in CFS2, the heavy lifting has already been done between Stefano Meneghini and myself with the collaborative work we did on my CFS2 conversion of his FS9 Savoia Marchetti S.81 and his later rework of the original FS9 model into a full CFS2 native with several variants.

As most of you may already know, the Savoia Marchetti S.81 and the JU-52 were practically the same airframe, with very little variation in specifications. The main differences were in the powerplants. The JU's 3× BMW 132T 715 hp radials, while boasting higher power ratings, didn't have the overall performance record of the SM's 3× Piaggio P.X RC.15 (or Alfa Romeo 125 RC.35, 126 RC.34 or Gnome-Rhône 14K) radial engines. This variation enabled the SM to fly faster (320-347 km/h vs. 265 km/h S/L) and higher (23,000 ft vs 18,000 ft).

So by using the shortcut airfile data from the SM and fine tuning to the specs of the JU, you should hit the target fairly easy.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=pcmeneg

Rami
January 19th, 2010, 04:41
Bearcat,

Not a bad idea, sir! :salute:

sc7500
January 19th, 2010, 08:15
Bearcat, you must be an old Hotrodder (like Me)...

Nothing like taking something that works and making it work BETTER !

I'm d/ling the Savoia Marchetti S.81 PX 13rd Sq. vers. 2.0 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/../index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=12119) right now, am preparing for an AIR file transplant, and will report back later - Thanks for the head's up

TTYS
SC

UPDATED @ 1400Hrs CDT:

No Joy - the craft appears to be far too underpowered for the size. I'm going to attempt to up the HP by 2x and see if it will stop groundlooping......

JapLance
January 19th, 2010, 08:20
I've been doing some testing with the old Iron Annie and this FS2004 version, and what I found is that in the end I get about the same framerates with both models.

The new one (right screencapture)has more detail, and is FSDS2 so AI planes have propeller discs, but it's a civilian version and has no gun posts. The old one (to the left) has the propeller problem but has the machineguns.

sc7500
January 19th, 2010, 11:07
JL, to obtain the best of both worlds, you Could use DPEdit and install OldWheat's Guntubes add-on. It may not be a Rivet-Counter's dream, but will get you closer to the intended result...

SC

sc7500
January 19th, 2010, 12:47
After several dozen failed attempts at tweaking the original Ver 6.0 airfile, I transplanted a known working one from:

Junkers Ju-52 , ver. 1.15, FS2000
FSDS designer, AIR designer, artwork: Pierino Primavesi

And VOILA ! - Success.

SC

PS- I only have the PHP Ver2 Working at the moment, thus a "Plane out of Theater" experience...

JapLance
January 20th, 2010, 02:17
Since I found the same strange behaviour as Jagdflieger in the original CFS2 Ju 52 and couldn't use them in missions, I did what bearcat suggested, and put his SM81 through Airwrench and ACM. The result is in the attached zip file.

I've just started to edit flight models with Airwrench, and there's a lot to learn so probably there will be many things to change. It's not intended to be realistic, but useful as an AI to shoot at :pop4:. It seems to fly in a straight line, at least.

Hopefully it will also work with the FS2004 version.

tonybones2112
January 20th, 2010, 17:52
Tonybones,

On Skype tonight we were discussing doing what Crashaz did for the FDG C-47...include a .dp that allows for the dropping of cargo and paratroopers.

But we're getting there...and she does have damage textures!

Rami, I downloaded a Ju-52 from Simviation or the Outhouse, the description said it drops paratroopers, here is the short text file by Chris n who converted it apparently from a FSS2002 model:

"This is a conversion and repaint of Vladimir Zhyhulskiy's excellent Ju 52 Ju52/3mg7e made for Fs2002.
The ac is not multi lod, so it can't be used in great numbers. Markings are from a Ju 52 of 1./KGz.b.V 1, early 1940.
Included is a new flight model and the paratroopers effect file (forgot the author, please write me for credit). I also added Keltichearts exhaust smoke.

Press your cockpit light button to activate paratroopers.

ChrisN, November 2009
ch.noelte@freenet.de"

An aircraft historian I don't recall stated the Germans stood in the door of the -52 and shoveled incendieries out the doorway during the bombing of Rotterdam. I guess whatever works.

Bones

Rami
January 20th, 2010, 18:00
Tonybones,

Shadow Wolf 07 has paratroopers that are added to the .dp as weapons and can be dropped in a salvo. These will be perfect to add to a .dp.

This is still being worked on, not to worry! :ernae:

tonybones2112
January 21st, 2010, 11:47
Take your time, we'll be looking forward to it when you're done.

Bones