PDA

View Full Version : Coverage pulled

Terry
January 18th, 2010, 02:39
Seems there are not enough NASCAR fans in the UK.

NASCAR races not picked up by UK's Sky Sports: Been told that United Kingdom's [England, Scotland, Ireland] Sky Sports did not secure the NASCAR Cup series for 2010, so after two years, there supposedly will be no live television coverage of NASCAR Sprint Cup races in the UK.(from Keith Huewen's website (http://www.huewen.com/), he was one of the announcers of the races)(1-18-2010)

Cazzie
January 18th, 2010, 02:52
That speaks for itself. Hopefully, NASCAR will at least alter the COT enough to allow some real racing, but for me, that will not be enough. Until they actually get back to racing "stock" cars, it will never be the same as it was through the late '80s.

Ever since the major packaged TV deals here with the BIGs, NASCAR has stuck its head further up its poop-shoot in trying to please TV and not its peer audience.

Caz

Terry
January 18th, 2010, 04:49
I think they are starting to listen to the fans because the bottom line is shrinking. Check out their news release Thursday. The ugly wing is definetly going away, and perhaps the splitter, The double yellow lines at the super speedways may be gone too. They are also making the restictor plate larger for more throttle response.

Cazzie
January 18th, 2010, 07:16
I think they are starting to listen to the fans because the bottom line is shrinking. Check out their news release Thursday. The ugly wing is definetly going away, and perhaps the splitter, The double yellow lines at the super speedways may be gone too. They are also making the restictor plate larger for more throttle response.

All this sounds hood. I'll go for the safety of the driver more to the center of the car, but exterior, it should look like something you could get on the showroom floor. Everything up through the 80s look like what you bought body wise. Inside, it was loaded with the most modern gizmos of the day save the transmission. One of the best safety inovations brought into NASCAR came from the Woods Brothers working at Indy in the USAC days. The Indy cars used oil shut-off valves from the sump in case of an accident that split the lines, there-by rendering less fire from oil. NASCAR had already incorporated fuel shut-off values, but the Woods introduced the Indy system to NASCAR and they have used it to this day.

Caz

Terry
January 18th, 2010, 07:43
I agree on the safety aspect. Getting rid of the wing does both. It makes the car look more like a stock car, plus the wing adds more lift than a spoiler when the car is spun backward at speed. That should of been thought of before it was mandated by NASCAR.

lefty
January 18th, 2010, 09:24
Oval-circuit stuff has never been popular here and doubt it ever will be....

Panther_99FS
January 18th, 2010, 10:51
Oval-circuit stuff has never been popular here and doubt it ever will be....

Valid point...

lefty
January 18th, 2010, 14:15
It's an American thing. A relentless monotonous parade round and round, only made spectator-friendly by the knowledge that sooner or later there is going to be the most enormous, spectacular pile-up.

I have learned to understand other manifestations of American sport, such as grid-iron and baseball, and can appreciate their finer points and the immense skill involved. But there are two things that will forever remain Uncle Sam's preserve , namely oval-track racing and ruddy basketball (any game that can only be played by circus freaks is utterly meaningless) - these are the spectator sports for the brain-dead.

Panther_99FS
January 18th, 2010, 17:47
It's an American thing. A relentless monotonous parade round and round, only made spectator-friendly by the knowledge that sooner or later there is going to be the most enormous, spectacular pile-up.

I have learned to understand other manifestations of American sport, such as grid-iron and baseball, and can appreciate their finer points and the immense skill involved. But there are two things that will forever remain Uncle Sam's preserve , namely oval-track racing and ruddy basketball (any game that can only be played by circus freaks is utterly meaningless) - these are the spectator sports for the brain-dead.

So if I like both NASCAR and F1, am I still brain dead :ques:

Wing_Z
January 18th, 2010, 20:25
Well if the Missus is anything to go by, 'fraid so on both counts :d

See Leno is kaput too.
Is there a conspiracy against petrolheads maybe?

lefty
January 18th, 2010, 21:25
See Leno is kaput too.
Is there a conspiracy against petrolheads maybe?

You are very welcome to Jeremy Clarkson if we can get him shipped over.

We used to have a sensible and excellent motoring programme called Top Gear, which Clarkson and his chums have reduced to a knockabout 'comedy' show.

(Panther, I'm just stirring a little. It usually works.......:engel016:)