PDA

View Full Version : Something I Need to Do

N2056
January 17th, 2010, 17:47
Every now and then I manage to get together with my Dad at the local airport. For whatever reason we do not always go out flying, but that's okay because I go over to see him, not to fly. When we do get the Thorp out it really is a big deal for me. In many ways there is no way I can convey the emotions I feel when we get to go out and fly together. Today we got it out and I flew it for an hour. Dad had fun getting to sight-see and play with the GPS without worrying about flying the plane. I got some time driving a plane that means more to me than I will ever be able to convey. It was an awesome day. The only thing I did not do was land. Somehow, someway I am getting my ticket to be able to do this at will! :jump:

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7667/picture006small.jpg

harleyman
January 17th, 2010, 18:21
YUP...At times just doing something with a parent mean more than the act itself...

Glad you had fun times with your dad..

Thats a great looking Thorp too...

N2056
January 17th, 2010, 18:47
Thanks Mason. I totally agree about doing anything with a parent. He spent 10 years building this plane. He is mid-70's now, and I am a bit concerned about certain things...while we were out today I pointed out some close traffic that I properly overtook to the right. He had trouble spotting it.

That single thing has driven me to realize that I need to get serious about getting my ticket.

In some ways the flight was somehow bittersweet. I see things that concern me, and I will do what I can to help him out. Ultimately I realize that at some point he will not be able to fly this plane, and I must be able to step up to the plate to continue the legacy.

I hate getting old.

Lionheart
January 18th, 2010, 01:39
Sounds like you had a blast Robert. Cool that you keep things in perspective, like going out to see your dad 'first' and if you get to fly, fine. Thats awesome man....

How did you do holding course and altitude? Does the little bird tend to wander in altitude?

Its addictive.. Thats for certain. I want my ticket as well. Its just too darn awesome.

Bill

Snuffy
January 18th, 2010, 03:10
Sounded like a good time.

I wish I lived closer to my folks on occasion so that I could do something like that as well.

Dad's always been an avid aircraft lover. He wanted to join the Air Force but medical problems prevented him from doing so. However that's never dampened his want of flying.

Enjoy your time with your parents guys n gals!.

:applause:

TomSteber
January 18th, 2010, 03:28
Wow! All you need to do now is fire up the grill after your flight and you have the perfect day.
Nice looking plane.
Enjoy all the time you can with your Dad. You won't ever regret it later.