PDA

View Full Version : Missing textures all of a sudden - how does this happen?

6297J
January 17th, 2010, 06:01
All of a sudden I seem to be missing some textures. I haven't installed or uninstalled anything for a while so I don't understand how they could have been removed or become corrupted without my knowledge and seemingly overnight!

This is Edwards AFB - seems to be a texture missing from under the lights (which makes me think it must be an Effects Texture?) Luckily I have all my textures backed up but if someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. I have GEX and UTX but not REX. I am looking through my backup to see if it's anything obvious but there are a lot of files to check and compare! The lighting might be particular to Edwards as I have tried other large airports and everything seems complete. (If this is from Scenery/World/Texture then I'm in trouble as I don't have that backed up)

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3251/79500425.jpg

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/3812/47340422.jpg

6297J
January 17th, 2010, 06:23
Oh dear - it's even more obvious at night :confused:

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6452/63919742.jpg

Snuffy
January 17th, 2010, 06:25
What was your latest install?

Back track remove that install and try your sim again. Best place to start.

6297J
January 17th, 2010, 06:44
What was your latest install?

Back track remove that install and try your sim again. Best place to start.

Thanks Ted, the very last thing I installed was the Bird Dog but I've flown at Edwards since then and it was fine. I've just flown from a handful of locations and they were all fine - it seems to be just Edwards which would be acceptable but I fly there a lot - it's the best testing ground in FSX!

If I look in Scenery/Cities/Edwards_AFB there is just one file in Textures (003002230030231an.agn) whereas all the other Cities folders there have lots of Texture files but if that was wrong then you would think a lot more would be affected than just the one light.

So I don't know. I don't want to reinstall FSX just for this but it's going to annoy me.

Can someone take a quick look in their Edwards texture folder and see how many files should be in there?

flaviossa
January 17th, 2010, 06:57
Can you just reinstall Edwards AFB scenery?

6297J
January 17th, 2010, 07:04
Can you just reinstall Edwards AFB scenery?

The detailed version of Edwards is part of Acceleration and I don't want to reinstall that or do a repair if I don't have to as it will possibly overwrite some of the addons I've installed since.

You did give me the idea of exploring the Accerlation disk though and I will try overwriting the Edwards Scenery and Texture file and see what happens.

flaviossa
January 17th, 2010, 07:13
Ups , sorry.
I thougth it was an addon scenery since i donīt use accell. :kilroy:

6297J
January 17th, 2010, 07:18
No thank you! I'm now exploring all the files on the Acceleration disk to see if I can find anything obvious. I probably wouldn't have thought of that if you hadn't reminded me.

NoNewMessages
January 17th, 2010, 07:24
FSXA added ramp lights, which you see at Edwards. Looks like something has changed an effect file? By chance do you have that folder backed up?

6297J
January 17th, 2010, 07:44
FSXA added ramp lights, which you see at Edwards. Looks like something has changed an effect file? By chance do you have that folder backed up?

I do have the Effects folder backed up yes. I'll have another look at it now. I tried replacing the Edwards Scenery and Texture files and there was no change.

edit - No, just tried overwriting with the backup Effects folder- no difference :frown:

IanHenry
January 17th, 2010, 10:37
Hi 6297J,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I had a similar problem with my wing vortices textures, and how I fixed it was to 'cut' my textures folder which I save it to desktop. I then did a repair of FSX via the install disks followed by Acceleration. This will give you a clean install of your textures folder but it will be minus any textures from your add-ons, so the next thing you need to do is to paste the contents from your saved textures folder into your new textures folder but do not overwrite anything. This worked for me. <o:p></o:p>
Also I see no reason why the same technique will not also work with your Effects folder although I suspect your problem is with textures. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Regards,<o:p></o:p>
Ian.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

harleyman
January 17th, 2010, 12:42
You can't browse the FSX or Acceleration disks in FSX..You can only do a repair...

hey_moe
January 17th, 2010, 12:46
Have you tried reinstalling DX9 and your video drivers. Also what is your AA set at.

6297J
January 17th, 2010, 12:53
Hi 6297J,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I had a similar problem with my wing vortices textures, and how I fixed it was to 'cut' my textures folder which I save it to desktop. I then did a repair of FSX via the install disks followed by Acceleration. This will give you a clean install of your textures folder but it will be minus any textures from your add-ons, so the next thing you need to do is to paste the contents from your saved textures folder into your new textures folder but do not overwrite anything. This worked for me. <o:p></o:p>
Also I see no reason why the same technique will not also work with your Effects folder although I suspect your problem is with textures. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Regards,<o:p></o:p>
Ian.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Thank you Ian. I did try that with the Effects back up I had but it didn't work so I will try it with the Textures folder next. I think the only problem with the 'do not overwrite' option is that if the offending file is still present but has become corrupted in some way then it won't be changed. I have gone though every cabinet file on the Accleration disk and copied over anything I thought could be responsible but no joy there either. I might back up the entire FSX directory before doing a repair as I have lots of addons and I have tweaked so much of the default install and I wouldn't want to lose any of it as I'm not sure I can rememebr everything I've done to change it over the years!

6297J
January 17th, 2010, 13:00
You can't browse the FSX or Acceleration disks in FSX..You can only do a repair...

You can with the Acceleration disk. There are 17 cab files on the disk, each of which can be opened and any of the files enclosed copied over. You just have to edit the name of the file.

scenery.Cities.Edwards_AFB.scenery_kedw_photo.bgl becomes kedw_photo.bgl for example.

6297J
January 17th, 2010, 13:06
Have you tried reinstalling DX9 and your video drivers. Also what is your AA set at.

I use DX10, my drivers are bang up to date and my AA is at 8x.

I'm wondering if something happened when I was going through some of the missions yesterday - I've never done some of them before. Because I have removed most of the default paints I had some error messages when I tried to do some of the missions. One of which was at Edwards AFB.
That shouldn't change anything but it's the only possible cause I can think of. If I knew what those effect or texture files for that particular light were called it would help me find them and replace them!

hey_moe
January 17th, 2010, 14:26
Now that you said you have this on DX10...I had dthe same problems on select planes and textures. Some of the software says it work inDX10 but for me some caused problems. What happens when you get out of DX10 and do normal FSX.

6297J
January 18th, 2010, 10:03
Now that you said you have this on DX10...I had dthe same problems on select planes and textures. Some of the software says it work inDX10 but for me some caused problems. What happens when you get out of DX10 and do normal FSX.

I've worked it out but I still don't like it. I had changed my Scenery Complexity from Very Dense to Extremely Dense recently and forgotten I'd done it :redface: Those lights only appear at Extremely Dense and they don't work in DX10. I switched back to DX9 and the textures appeared so they weren't missing anyway. I prefer DX10 so I'll just have to live with it as I'm very happy with Extremely Dense otherwise. Shame I can't disable those lights from the Scenery or switch them for lights which do work.

Luckily of all the places I fly regularly those lights only appear at Edwards AFB. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Thanks Moe for working it out :salute: