PDA

View Full Version : How often to you use your computer ?

hey_moe
January 17th, 2010, 05:44
I average about 5 to 6 hours a day.When I wake up the first thing I do is get a cup of coffee and then wake it up and read the local paper, then my email. Then go to 7 or 8 saved sites and read about new technology.Believe it or not SOH is my last stop because it is where I spend the most time. On every computer I have built I 100% brought on line and did all my research on line before I brought the parts. I also do just about all my shopping for just about anything on line. When I look back at the last ten years to see what I have spent on computers,internet service,software, it blows my mind. The amount I have spent for FS9,CFS2,CFS3,IL-2,FSX, flight sticks and consoles ects....ects ..is just plain scary...lol. I am embarrass to say what I have spent. I can honestly say I have enjoyed the computers and internet and the time I have spent. I can also say SOH was the first site I stuck with and 100% learned about Flight Simulator. Anyway I was just curious how much you guys and girls spend ? Mike

Snuffy
January 17th, 2010, 06:04
Having to work for 9 hours a day for 5 days a week and the amount of time I spend on them when I'm home from work and the weekends, I'd have to say that I spend an average of 85 percent of my time on computers.

I'm looking into shaving that down. :ernae:

kilo delta
January 17th, 2010, 06:27
My wife is a PC widow.

:kilroy:

:icon_lol:

WarHorse47
January 17th, 2010, 06:28
Our home computer is typically on for about 15 hours daily.

On weekdays "I use" the computer for about 4 hours. The rest of the time I leave it on for the wife. I should add that I'm also on a work computer 40 hours during the typical week.

I'm the primary user on weekends, and that is typically for about 5 hours of actual use.

And yes, the bulk of my online shopping is for the FS hobby. Some on EBay for other hobbies, but mainly FS9 payware.

--WH

rpjkw
January 17th, 2010, 06:42
I'm retired so I have a lo of spare time.:icon_lol: My PC is on 18 hours a day and I probably 'operate' it about 10 of those hours. I pretty much do as Hey Moe, except I don't read the local paper. I don't get much e-mail, nor do I chat, do Facebook or Twitter. I pretty much use the PC much like I did in the very early 90s before the advent of all the modern 'goodies'. FS9 is my main interest.

Da wife uses her laptop for games mostly. She still has AOL and I cringe every time she asks for help.:isadizzy:

Bob

Odie
January 17th, 2010, 07:00
I average about 4 hours a day on my internet machine and my gaming machine. They are both up at the same time on most days. Maybe a little more on my non-work days.

GT182
January 17th, 2010, 07:06
My wife is a PC widow.

:icon_lol:

Gee KD, your's is too? That's waht the "Warden" says to me all the time. LOL

Mine is on everyday I'm home, from 9am to 11pm. As you can see, I don't have a life either. Except for car shows, Cruise Nights, and the computer. ;)

I've been accused of having a girlfiend. I do...... she's in my sig. :d

Quixoticish
January 17th, 2010, 07:08
My PC is on 24/7 and I use it for work non stop throughout the day. I also obviously use it on my leisure time to play Flight Sim and some MMO's, although I prefer using the Playstation for my downtime these days.

HundertzehnGustav
January 17th, 2010, 07:21
The pooter i have is running since 2006, 90% of the time.
Its the first thing i take a lok at in the mornin, and the second last thing i nsee when i go to bed. (after the PC, its a book i read till i drift off)
So on weekends i can use it 8-12 hours a day ,during weeks 6-8 depending on what i do.
Pooters i have learned on pooters.:bump:
Had a Playstation1, loved a Flying game and knew there was a flight simulator.
Bought a pooter, set it up, and from there on its been pooters ever since.
cables plug in, start up, aha, extract xp... plug in usb stick, install cfs3, it aint that hard. just read read read.

Am at the point where dis/re/assembling a pc and its OS wouldnt cause me much hassle, but am still stuck on the parts tough - have never built my own, just parts that had been chosen by others.

Love it.

Cazzie
January 17th, 2010, 07:36
All the time when indoors. It is more entertaining than TV, less ridiculous than radio, and warmer than the weather we have had of late!

Francois
January 17th, 2010, 07:55
16x7, having 4 different jobs.

Chacha
January 17th, 2010, 07:56
I use my computer on average 10~14 (on some days maybe more) hours a day.

When I start my day, I turn the computer on, and start my quiet time!

Watch online programs...

at 11:00 am:

Work..... and while working... slack a little bit...

Browse the net... Check SOH and http://hall-18.com/index.php

At night time before bed....

Play with the Terrans... Blast pirates... establish a fleet (which I am working on)

I turn off my computer when I go to bed or go to church...., drive to the beach, and away on a trip (where I use my laptop!)

My emails go directly to my iPhone so I check them as they come.... (except when I am asleep or driving or in a meeting)

I am upgrading my PC where my FS's are so I am off simming for a little bit.... (FSX, FS9, and XP)... when it's fixed, I sim long hours. :isadizzy:

On average, I use my computer 8 days a week... :isadizzy:

OBIO
January 17th, 2010, 10:19
I only turn my system off for its monthly cleaning. I reboot it once or twice a day, depending on how many times I have been in and out of my sims and photoshop...just to clear the memory. I'm on my puter more than I should be..to be totally honest.

OBIO

JorisVandenBerghe
January 17th, 2010, 10:44
If you want me to answer that question honestly I'd say 'too much' :icon_lol:.

Now, during exams, (whole month I'm having exams) I'm working on it all the time. For school I make summaries, texts, essays, and so on, on my MacBook Pro, so I start at about 9 AM till lunch, take a little nap of half an hour, and continue working. During my breaks I check SOH, Flightlevel, moderate the forum a bit, check Jetphotos, Flickr, my e-mails, and so on.

I do use it quite a bit less than when I used to sim...spending hours behind a pc.

I shut it down when I'm away for more than 30 minutes, takes about 40 seconds to boot...Defrag it from time to time. If I'm away for a short moment I put it in sleep mode.

Kiwikat
January 17th, 2010, 10:47
I'm on my eee netbook whenever I'm awake, not at school, not at work, or not out taking photos. So how many hours a day is it turned on? More than it should be. :mixedsmi:

Lionheart
January 17th, 2010, 11:33
I am embarrassed to say.. lol.. Probably the same hours as Francois.

I do my work on mine, check emails, then game, check world sites (news), and watch DVD's on it.

I think I need to break away from it more often...

Sunday's I do not work, so I take the day off and usually go somewhere or do something fun. I still check emails and hang out here. :d (and flight sim, but for fun... and not to forget X3 Terran Conflict!!!)

Bill

Naismith
January 17th, 2010, 11:48
What's a computer? :kilroy:

PRB
January 17th, 2010, 12:19
What's a computer? :kilroy:

In the 1920s, a “computer” was a person who performed calculations. The navy hired “computers” to calculate ballistics table for naval guns. Now we just use computers.

When I am home, the "computer" is usually on all the time, although most of the time it's sitting there by itself, doing what computers do when nobody is sitting in front of them pointing and clicking.

hey_moe
January 17th, 2010, 12:42
Bill...I think you takes yours in the shower,breakfast,lunch,dinner and doo doo time. :monkies:
I am embarrassed to say.. lol.. Probably the same hours as Francois.

I do my work on mine, check emails, then game, check world sites (news), and watch DVD's on it.

I think I need to break away from it more often...

Sunday's I do not work, so I take the day off and usually go somewhere or do something fun. I still check emails and hang out here. :d (and flight sim, but for fun... and not to forget X3 Terran Conflict!!!)

Bill

Bjoern
January 17th, 2010, 12:43
There's a world outside?

Chacha
January 17th, 2010, 13:00
Bill...I think you takes yours in the shower,breakfast,lunch,dinner and doo doo time. :monkies:

Ooops, Bill, :monkies:

How did Hey_moe knew your daily activities :bump:

hey_moe
January 17th, 2010, 13:14
He sent me a video...lol
Ooops, Bill, :monkies:

How did Hey_moe knew your daily activities :bump:

Chacha
January 17th, 2010, 13:24
He sent me a video...lol

Ohh....

We can sell it.... :icon_lol:

We can make a lot of money.... :pop4:

Lionheart
January 17th, 2010, 13:25
The scary part is I never really thought about it until your post Mike.

<--- addict..

You use these things for so much now. From reading, to entertainment, movies, music, games, game development, photography, photoshop, graphics, flying simulation (from learning to fly to having fun to developing planes or scenery or paint schemes, etc). Chatting with people online, on other sides of the planet.

Goodness.. All of my friends are people online, lol...

By the way, FaceBook is addictive... Thanks alot Michael... :isadizzy:

Bill

Chacha
January 17th, 2010, 13:27
The scary part is I never really thought about it until your post Mike.

<--- addict..

You use these things for so much now. From reading, to entertainment, movies, music, games, game development, photography, photoshop, graphics, flying simulation (from learning to fly to having fun to developing planes or scenery or paint schemes, etc). Chatting with people online, on other sides of the planet.

Goodness.. All of my friends are people online, lol...

By the way, FaceBook is addictive... Thanks alot Michael... :isadizzy:

Bill

I did not know you have FaceBook, Lionheart? :pop4:

TARPSBird
January 17th, 2010, 13:57
My computer's on about 10-14 hours a day. I do the same stuff that Mike and everybody else listed: check news, weather, e-mail, my model railroad forum sites, Flightsim.com for new stuff, do some tweaking and flying in CFS2 and FS9, and of course I'm always hanging out here. :)

hey_moe
January 17th, 2010, 14:19
I was talking to Linda this morning about how much time we spend on the internet and it makes ya wonder what did we do before we had internet..lol. Work is one thing but to come back home and jump on it again...lol...Mike

djscoo
January 17th, 2010, 14:31
Constantly...If not my PC, then my laptop or Ipod. I don't know how I would get by without the internet. I'll be laying there trying to sleep, and then I'll think of something and have to look it up on wikipedia or I won't be able to sleep. Wikipedia and Youtube are my two lifesavers.

hey_moe
January 17th, 2010, 14:37
You know what's funny to me, when Linda and I go on vacation and I leave the laptop and everything at home. In the morning it so weird and the evening is the same way...lol I guess it's call withdrawal.:173go1::icon_lol: ..Mike

cheezyflier
January 17th, 2010, 14:55
well, the truth is, i haven't been human since about 2001.
i'm a web based entity.

Chacha
January 17th, 2010, 14:59
You know what's funny to me, when Linda and I go on vacation and I leave the laptop and everything at home. In the morning it so weird and the evening is the same way...lol I guess it's call withdrawal.:173go1::icon_lol: ..Mike

Imagine checking in a hotel room,

They do not have TV's

There was No internet....

No computer...

My cellphone did not even work....

There is a phone in the room that you can order room service and that was it....

I thought I was going to die.... :isadizzy:

I had a great time, had an awesome vacation.... it was in some Jungle Out there!

GT182
January 17th, 2010, 15:17

They do not have TV's

No computer...

There is a phone in the room that you can order room service and that was it....

I had a great time, had an awesome vacation.... it was in some Jungle Out there!

You know that Eli, that sounds real good...... and a hell of a good time too. No worries, no cares... just good old fashoin relaxation. :d

We're too dependent on all that stuff, and life is just passing us by.

hey_moe
January 17th, 2010, 15:25
Was dat a hotel or a pup tent...lol.....I can do without most of that ...when we go on a cruise, believe it or we don't carry our cell phones,ect..ect and we don't watch TV. We are so tired when we go back to the room, we just pass out. What really sucks is we miss so much of the night activities on a cruise because we are slam worn out by what we did all day.Linda is not a morning person at all but when we cruise, she is wide open at 5:00am and ready to go.She has a sleep disorder and hardly sleeps, but I guess the slow rocking of the ship, when she goes to sleep on the boat she sleeps like rock.

They do not have TV's

No computer...

Kofschip
January 17th, 2010, 15:30
I have cut back to about 2 hrs/day. Since my hand got repaired, I spend more time painting (watercolor), automating my wife's greenhouse and catching up with about a years worth of chores around the house and the yard.:running::running::running::running:

Lionheart
January 17th, 2010, 15:32

They do not have TV's

No computer...

ChaCha...

Sounds like you accidentally rented a 'sensory depreviation chamber'... I dont know how I would be able to handle it..

Willy
January 17th, 2010, 15:35
I get up just before noon every day and stay up to until about 3ish am. Other than when I'm doing chores around the house or out messing with our horses, I'm on my comp. This and CalClassics are the only Flight Sim forums I frequent but there is the Quarter Moon Saloon, MarlinOwners for my shooting fix and HorseCity for the horsey stuff. Between those and the online news and e-mail, I spend most of my day on the comp.

Oops, I forgot about helping Mrs Willy with her Farmville game on Facebook. But that don't take much time either.

ETA: This is just my winter hours. Once the weather warms up I'll be spending more time outside, usually with the horses or yard work or helping my father in law with his farm.

Drat! Forgot the main reason I've even got a comp now. My nightly online flight with the guys!

harleyman
January 17th, 2010, 16:46
On at about 3-5 AM... off around midnight

Work rig is on at 8:30 and off at 5 PM..

Piglet
January 17th, 2010, 18:45
Never use the damn things. Design all my planes in my head, then upload them thru the USB port in my ponytail.

kjb
January 17th, 2010, 19:10
I'm on it a lot. Lately I've picked up more work than I know what to do with. I did manage to take Christmas off. I've been getting up by 4AM and have a few hours of work done when my wife gets up. In the evenings, my wife watches her shows and I watch my games on the laptop with a Hava box in my office.

The sudden workload has been surprising. It started a few months ago with some smaller jobs in Canada. Then it it expanded exponentially in no time. I've had to turn down jobs because I didn't have the time to squeeze them in.

Wulf190
January 17th, 2010, 21:03
I work ona PC 8 hours five days straight, and then I usally spend 2-4 hours more on my own PC.

How much time do I spend on PCs? Too dang much.

luckydog
January 17th, 2010, 21:39
Never use the damn things. Design all my planes in my head, then upload them thru the USB port in my ponytail.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Kofschip
January 19th, 2010, 06:47

I suggest that we vote this as the best comment in this thread.:bump::bump: