PDA

View Full Version : So excited I'm giddy.....

Wittpilot
January 15th, 2010, 14:43
I just read over on WIX... and read this... I kinda was aware this was the plan, but not seen anything about it. I am stoked!

This about the upcoming Doolittle Reunion here in Dayton OH....

Over thirty eight Mitchell owners were contacted in recent months to see if they would participate in a MITCHELL B-25 TRIBUITE TO THE DOOLITTLE TOKYO RAIDERS. All the owners volunteered to come for he cost of fuel and housing expenses. It was decided to choose twenty-five of the planes capable of reaching Dayton without an overnight or fuel stop. These aircraft were contacted to participate if the funds were available to help pay their expenses. Larry Kelley, owner and operator of Panchito

Volunteered to help this program and did a spread sheet on the costs of bringing the planes to Dayton . We would have to raise at least $200,000 to make it happen.

Plans to receive the planes and all logistics are in place where the aircraft will rendezvous upon arrival on April 15 in Urbana , Ohio . The Aircraft and Crew Members will be guests of the Champaign Aviation Museum . The pilot briefing will be held in the Museum and the Aircraft will be serviced by the Grimes Field FBO before their flight to Wright Field on Saturday morning April 17th. The planes will return to Grimes Field on April 18th after the ceremonies at Wright Field. The Museum, Grimes Field Airport and the City of Urbana are honored to be part of this historical event.

:ernae:

Crusader
January 15th, 2010, 14:53
That is outstanding news Witt . Considering I'm just a couple hours away , I'll be there .:applause: I didn't realize that there were that many B25's airworthy .

Rich:running:

harleyman
January 15th, 2010, 14:57
Ah Man...We get no good airshows here locally..

I would love to see that many in the air ....:applause:

Snuffy
January 15th, 2010, 15:11
A minor point I'm sure ... but as a "GUY", I try to avoid using the term "Giddy" when describing something about me ... but that's just me.
Sounds like an awesome show to be sure.

Carry on.

:icon_lol:

OBIO
January 15th, 2010, 15:54
I might just have to tie my wife up in the closet, stuff the dogs in there with her, and head to Dayton on the morning of 17 April, 2010. That is 5 days before my birthday...and what better present to myself than to get to see a bunch of airworthy B-25s....by far my favorite medium bomber and my 2nd favorite bomber overall (B-24 takes the top spot for me). I have a much better digital camera, 2 2-gig SD cards and a brand new 4-gig SD card. Load my pockets with AA batteries and I would be set for taking a huge number of pictures...and maybe some video of the planes as well.

I'm so excited that I am beyond giddy....I just tinkled myself!

OBIO

Wittpilot
January 15th, 2010, 16:20
OBIO,
And Mansfield isn't too far away from Urbana... Sounds like a few of them will be there before that weekend... I know they are working to get the one here in Urbana back in the air before then.... Along with some brand new nose art...insert wink wink nod nod here...... !!!

Wittpilot
January 15th, 2010, 16:23
Picture I snapped last week ...

Brett_Henderson
January 15th, 2010, 16:49
Side note: I'll be in Urbana tomorrow (Sat 16th).. I'm flying in to meet a friend who wants to see the B-17.. I'll be in a Warrior N6758F

Edit: latest weather calls for marginal VFR.. so it's 50/50 *sigh*

Wittpilot
January 15th, 2010, 17:14
Brett... If you go I don't think I'll be there, I just made plans to go to the Air Force Museum tomorrow. Dad might be there at some point... If you make it, take you camera!

Brett_Henderson
January 15th, 2010, 17:17
Getting into an airplane without a camera, is like going to church naked..lol

smilo
January 15th, 2010, 17:25
it's the sound gentlemen, the sound.
that's goosebump material.
I remember hearing it as a kid.

OBIO
January 15th, 2010, 18:25
Getting into an airplane without a camera, is like going to church naked..lol

I did that once....I'll ya'll figure out which one it was that I did.

OBIO

TomSteber
January 15th, 2010, 19:13
Yeah, read about it this morning on my Warbirds Newsletter. Sounds GREAT!!!!
Man, with EAA's DC-3/C-47 reunion with mass arrival at Airventure, that's two really once in a lifetime things this summer.
Too bad they couldn't put them together!

Odie
January 16th, 2010, 05:41
I did that once....I'll ya'll figure out which one it was that I did.

OBIO

OBIO, thanks for that ! Just had a mental image of both.....:isadizzy:

Daveroo
January 16th, 2010, 08:27
why there?..was that a place they trained or worked on the B25s before the mission?...why not a historical place(if that isnt one ,i have no clue ,im asking) like McClelland??

Thoe6969
January 16th, 2010, 08:53
why there?..was that a place they trained or worked on the B25s before the mission?...why not a historical place(if that isnt one ,i have no clue ,im asking) like McClelland?? I'ts a very historical air base,and the site of the largest airplane museum and restoration shop that I know of for military planes.

Wittpilot
January 16th, 2010, 10:01
why there?..was that a place they trained or worked on the B25s before the mission?...why not a historical place(if that isnt one ,i have no clue ,im asking) like McClelland??

I think the two largest reasons are the museum's obvious size, popularity, and also the fact that they have a nice little Doolittle set-up with a B-25 on a mock carrier deck...

The other large reason is because the case containing the cups with all the Doolittle Raiders on them is now located in Dayton....