PDA

View Full Version : Steven King's Dark Tower series

jmig
January 14th, 2010, 13:13
I recently listened to two audio CD books by Steven King called the Talisman and the Dark House. I understand they are related to the Dark Tower series.

Has anyone read the series and what do you think of them? Worth reading?

bushpilot
January 14th, 2010, 13:24
I'm just finishing The Gunslinger. I liked it a lot, will probably acquire the rest of the series. Love the fantasy/sci-fi western setting, being a huge western buff.

King is one of my favorite authors. He writes great horror, but even better non-horror:salute::salute:.

JoeW
January 14th, 2010, 13:30
I read the first rwo in the series some time ago. I thought, at the time, that they were great. Mr. King released one book that had was double spaced and only 200 pages at that.
I stopped reading Mr. King after that. I dislike paying $9.95 for a paperback with only 100 regular pages.
Just my opinion.

PRB
January 14th, 2010, 13:56
I thought both of those were great books, back when I was reading King's stuff, which I haven't for many years. He wrote The Talisman with Peter Straub, which made it a little different than the stuff he does by himself, and was an interesting idea for a story. Short answer = yes. Worth plugging into the CD player on long trips. And The Talisman would be particularly interesting if you were driving across the country. Hmm...

paiken
January 14th, 2010, 14:06
I've read the entire Dark Tower series (seven books in all, I think). About the only books of his that I ever enjoyed.

jmig
January 14th, 2010, 16:06
I thought both of those were great books, back when I was reading King's stuff, which I haven't for many years. He wrote The Talisman with Peter Straub, which made it a little different than the stuff he does by himself, and was an interesting idea for a story. Short answer = yes. Worth plugging into the CD player on long trips. And The Talisman would be particularly interesting if you were driving across the country. Hmm...

You have that right. Both books were 21 CD and about 25 hours of listening.
I could have told the same story in 1/2 to 2/3 the number.

:jump:

Of course, I ain't rich or Steven King.

Naismith
January 14th, 2010, 16:07
Seek out his "The Stand" a classic

Cloud9Gal
January 14th, 2010, 16:21
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s2175.gif

I'm a big fan of Stephen King and I was lucky enough to meet the man in person. He lives in Bangor, Maine with his wife Tabitha. In many of his interviews, he would tell folks to look for an "old battered Jag" in his driveway. If the Jag was parked in the driveway, that meant Stephen was home and would most likely come out 2x during the day to autograph books and meet fans. During all hours of the day, you have people pacing back in forth, in front of his brick house, waiting for him to come out.
He's a simple man with a complicated mind :) I love him as an author!

I have every single book he has ever written and would highly recommend the majority of them.

I loved "The Stand" and I have read all of the Dark Tower Series. http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s6067.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

Who can forget the movie Misery, made famous by Kathy Bates and James Caan??

His classics like "Cujo" & "Carrie"? I also loved "Insomnia".

John~ You can't go wrong with Stephen King. He will make your mind go in places you never thought it could/would go....

AckAck
January 14th, 2010, 17:22
C9G - how come your larger reader icon is reading the book backwards? Little one seems to be doing OK, though...

Brian

jmig
January 14th, 2010, 18:09
C9G - how come your larger reader icon is reading the book backwards? Little one seems to be doing OK, though...

Brian

You noticed that? I just noticed her legs.

Thank you C9Gal for the suggestions and info. I will look more into his books.

grunau_baby
January 14th, 2010, 20:46
The dark tower series is great!

But Iīd also suggest his early works - most brilliant:
1. The stand
2. IT (great story-time-line, brilliant)
3. Salemīs lot (modern classic vampire story, creepy)
4. Christine (for the motorcar-enthisiast;-)

Alex

Penzoil3
January 16th, 2010, 00:06
:applause:
Absolutely loved the Dark Tower series. The seven books have a permanent place on my shelves!
I highly reccomend the series to any lover of sci-fi/fantasy.
Sue

Boomer
January 16th, 2010, 05:02
I read the whole series & it is great!

I would also recommend The Stand & Tommyknockers.

2Low
January 16th, 2010, 10:08
I read a lot. When I meet someone that reads I ask for a recommendation.
I ask, "If I were to read only one more book or series before dying what should it be?"," Excluding the Bible or New Testament".

I try to read them all and keep a list for book hunting trips. I end up reading stuff I never would have picked myself and given the critiria in my question most end up being really good books.

Understand that I read Christine, Maximum Overdrive, and a 3rd that I don't remember when I was young and did not like them. I was not a King fan at all. The Dark Tower series was suggested frequently enough that I couldn't ignore it. I read the whole thing and it changed my opinion of King completely. It's a great series! Get them all and read them in order, you'll wish it wouldn't end.