PDA

View Full Version : vertical stabilizer

cheezyflier
January 14th, 2010, 07:26
it's one of those questions i have been meaning to ask for years but only remember when i'm not here.

some stabilizers are straight up, some on an angle is there a purpose for the angle besides that it looks cool?

jmig
January 14th, 2010, 08:08
it's one of those questions i have been meaning to ask for years but only remember when i'm not here.

some stabilizers are straight up, some on an angle is there a purpose for the angle besides that it looks cool?

Cheezy, a vertical stabilizer is use for yaw stability it works with the rudder (moving part or the vertical stabilizer) and elevators or stab. The old Beech Bonanzas used a combination elevator/rudder system with its two angled stab-a-lators. They worked as both a rudder and elevators.

It was later abandoned by Beech in favor of the traditional vertical stab and elevator combination due to control problems in certain conditions.

You will find some aircraft, such as the F-4 Phantom that have downward angled elevators and a vertical rudder/stabilizers combination.

I hope this helps you.

Cratermaker
January 14th, 2010, 08:22
I think angled horizontal stabilizers are to get them out of disturbed airflow? Maybe add a little extra yaw stability without increasing the vertical stabilizer size?

As for vertical stabilizers... maybe extra pitch stability? Stealth?

I really don't know. I'm having fun hypothesizing though. Maybe some in the know will come along and let me know how wrong I am. :icon_lol:

cheezyflier
January 14th, 2010, 08:44
this is what i mean:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/tails.jpg

see the differences? are they for looks or do they have some purpose ?

jmig
January 14th, 2010, 13:21
this is what i mean:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/tails.jpg

see the differences? are they for looks or do they have some purpose ?

Ahhhhhhh, there may be some aeronautical engineering involved, but it is mostly a style thing. They will all work the same.

Cratermaker
January 14th, 2010, 13:35
If I remember correctly, an elliptical airfoil shape minimizes drag. However, design and ease of construction are often an overriding factor for this. A close approximation is often good enough, and allows for certain "stylistic" design choices. Once again, I am not sure. I'm hoping an aerospace engineer will speak up. :mixedsmi: (I also think at transonic or supersonic speeds, an overall swept back design is preferable!)

Whitehawk
January 14th, 2010, 15:44
Couple of reasons (CPL recently so I still remember lol!)

-Streamlining
-Looks cool
-But mainly because it shifts the effective location of the rudder aft, lengthening the moment arm between the aircraft's CoG and the rudder allowing rudder effectiveness to be maintained at more rearward CoG locations. This means it is both safer in general and allows the rear CoG limit to be further aft (more weight can be put in the back!)

Hope this answers your question!

jmig
January 14th, 2010, 16:07
Couple of reasons (CPL recently so I still remember lol!)

-Streamlining
-Looks cool
-But mainly because it shifts the effective location of the rudder aft, lengthening the moment arm between the aircraft's CoG and the rudder allowing rudder effectiveness to be maintained at more rearward CoG locations. This means it is both safer in general and allows the rear CoG limit to be further aft (more weight can be put in the back!)

Hope this answers your question!

Much more elegant than my answer :)

TARPSBird
January 14th, 2010, 16:45
Cheezy,
Compare the pic below to the pic I posted in my "Vintage Seaplane Shot" thread further down the page. This is the XPB2Y-1 prototype with mini-fins retrofitted to the original tail to fix the yaw stability problem, didn't work so they went to the twin vertical stab design used on the production aircraft. The increased dihedral angle of the horizontal stabs probably helped as well. Good example of how design problems get worked out in prototype versions.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Consolidated_XPB2Y-1_1938.jpg

srgalahad
January 14th, 2010, 20:09
If I remember correctly, an elliptical airfoil shape minimizes drag. However, design and ease of construction are often an overriding factor for this. A close approximation is often good enough, and allows for certain "stylistic" design choices. Once again, I am not sure. I'm hoping an aerospace engineer will speak up. :mixedsmi: (I also think at transonic or supersonic speeds, an overall swept back design is preferable!)

Then I offer you Dan Raymer's notation regarding tail design:

http://www.adac.aero/Documents/Raymer_Annotations/4.5_Tail_Geometry_and_Arrangment.pdf

Dan Raymer's book "Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach" is the textbook for many aircraft design capstone undergraduate courses. It covers almost all aspects of conceptual design, including initial sizing, configuration layout, aerodynamics, propulsion, stability & control, mass properties, and structures and materials.

The complete Annotations can be found at http://www.adac.aero/index.htm
-just click on the "Raymer Annotations" button at the top of the page.

Rob

Piglet
January 14th, 2010, 22:13
On T-tailed planes, sweeping the fin/rudder places the horizontal stabs/elevators further aft, with the benifits discribed by Whitehawk.
Look at the MiG-15 for example.

Lionheart
January 15th, 2010, 00:11
Also size and area had 'some' effect on speed, so air racers would have smaller rudders, but if you raked them back too extreme, they lost their 'bite' in the air, rushing the wind 'over' the top of the 'rudder' zone. Wittman was talking on this in some interviews long ago, back around his racing days. He could look at a rudder and tell you how efficient it was.

Rudders are a bit tricky to design into an aircraft, from what all I have gathered..

Another wierd one, (speaking of tilted vertical stabilizers), the first Stealth fighter had rudders almost meeting at the top. This was for deflecting radar into the sky. But they were useless for flight from the airflow over the crafts body, causing one crash in a prototype. They were then switched outward, like a V tail, as like a Bonanza.

The Bellanca Super Viking or Viking had a HUGE tail area (rudder) which started nearly where the baggage area was, up to the tip. You can always find a Viking in a group of planes. The biggest rudder around on small planes. The reason was so that it wouldnt spin. They wanted to get rid of the tripple rudders, and their trademark was 'no spins'.

Bill

Snuffy
January 15th, 2010, 03:58
And thats why Boeing went from the tail design of the early B-17s to the tail profile we are so familar with today.

The first model ...

The B-17 as we know it

cheezyflier
January 15th, 2010, 05:23
this is one of my fav things about this forum. somebody always has an answer. you guys totally rock! :applause: